The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great article in the UBC student newspaper about rape incidents

canuckbeliever

Impractical and illegal revenge fantasies aside, the issue here is that UBC has spent money to hire academic committees to deal with chants. They are refussing to spend money on things like increased securtiy and cameras. My analysis was pretty apt.

That's not a fantasy that's a fact. I apparently care enough about my daughters to willingly spend endless hours scouring an area looking for a person who may have hurt them

I won't argue at all that your analogy was incredibly apt, but the anger of a parent should never be discounted.

Se "A Time to Kill" for a solid reference.

The academic committee was implemented in mid September, before most (if not all) of the recent sexual assault things took place. You're judging UBC based on the decision they made about sexual assault before the sexual assaults took place?

Since then, the school has not "refused" to spend money on things like increased security or cameras. They just met with members of the RCMP looking for advice, apparently.

http://www.ctvnews.c...ampus-1.1507342

Assaults have been an ongoing issue on UBC and other campuses for a long time. This is nothing new. And yes it's telling that they rushed to immediately form a committee to deal with immature kids making bad jokes. Meanwhile, they've done little to prevent an ongoing and escalating problem of actual assault.

So overt sexuality and oozing hormones from both parties fall under "rape culture" too? What pertaining to genitalia doesn't fall under that now? Warts maybe?

This rape culture has strayed so far from things related to actual non consensual contact here that it's really just a fancy form of persecution complex at this point. Reminds me of this feminist Rebecca Watson who cried about being "assaulted" in an elevator by a guy who had the nerve to ask her to get coffee with him. In the words of Richard Dawkins, grow up.

To be honest, not a POV I'm used to arguing. I was just going on the broader definition of "sexual objectification" - based on my experience working at a campus bar I've seen a lot of girls being groped / pawed at when waaaay too drunk and having to sit them in the back for them to sober up / a friend to come get them. These guys wouldn't go grab a girl's bum on the bus, but in that context and those situations it is culturally a lot more "okay."

Doesn't have anything to do with the UBC situation though, I guess.

Your example is, I agree, ridiculous though and I find some "feminism" is simply man-hating... and screeching like that do much more harm than good.

That's not a fantasy that's a fact. I apparently care enough about my daughters to willingly spend endless hours scouring an area looking for a person who may have hurt them

I won't argue at all that your analogy was incredibly apt, but the anger of a parent should never be discounted.

Se "A Time to Kill" for a solid reference.

Dude...everyone would be pissed in that situation, beyond belief. However, if you were walking around UBC campus threatening people with a saudering iron and a gun (it's illegal to walk around a public area with a gun), you'd be the one getting arrested. Also, what would you expect to find. These people are pieces of crap. They prey on vulnerable women. When they see a threat, they run. I'm also not sure how you expect to tell the rapists apart from everyone else at UBC.

So overt sexuality and oozing hormones from both parties fall under "rape culture" too? What pertaining to genitalia doesn't fall under that now? Warts maybe?

This rape culture has strayed so far from things related to actual non consensual contact here that it's really just a fancy form of persecution complex at this point. Reminds me of this feminist Rebecca Watson who cried about being "assaulted" in an elevator by a guy who had the nerve to ask her to get coffee with him. In the words of Richard Dawkins, grow up.

Didn't think I'd ever hear you quoting Dawkins :P. Then again, he does seem to be in your corner when it comes to feminism.

What should the university do anyway? The stupid chant thing was known to be done by uni students while the rape attacks are being done to students( and people at other places too) by person/s unknown. One thing is internal to the university the other thing is a criminal act. IMO UBC is being painted unfairly. Yes they could hire more security- and then raise tuition to cover the expense. Same thing with cameras. So where are the police in this story? Just who-other than the sick rapist is responsible for the acts of the rapists? And just who is responsible for catching the perp? Not the university-in my view. Maybe the police-that's a more likely place I think.

I'm a 100% with you on this post for sure. One of the things I'm working on is to completely remove myself from the nightlife/dormlife/Greek scene because it's all an intricate breeding ground. The objectification by both sides is consensual at that point and if not consensual then at least expected: I know that with girls I know, if you go out with them and you DON'T get a chubby rubbed against your back randomly then you didn't really "play the field" or have as much fun as you're supposed to. Not my cup of tea.

To come back to rape culture though, I think the only place it's relevant is in the blurred lines of consent that this intricate (and in my opinion, pointless) mating ritual brings. Campus culture doesn't lead to girls being picked off streets and raped.

Yeah.. until the guy is caught you have no idea what the influence was... it could just be the best place to find young girls travelling alone after dark.

and.... on your back? You UBC kids do some weird stuff. Are they really into the basketball team?

Fluid dynamics is sexist

Uhm well it could've just been that I got dealt the weirdest guy. I'm sure there are savvier attempts to woo. CDC men would know.

My point was it's kind of expected you get hit on if you're anything over a 4/10

4/10?

Dammit :(

you're going to need to elaborate if you want this to actually mean something

the reason why sexual assault is happening at UBC is because of liberal arts education?

At the university level, nothing ever gets done when it comes to security and enforcement. It's bunch of policy analysis patting themselves on the back for drafting up a useless bylaw instead of actually ensuring there is security and enforcement.

At the university level, nothing ever gets done when it comes to security and enforcement. It's bunch of policy analysis patting themselves on the back for drafting up a useless bylaw instead of actually ensuring there is security and enforcement.

okay

What should the university do anyway? The stupid chant thing was known to be done by uni students while the rape attacks are being done to students( and people at other places too) by person/s unknown. One thing is internal to the university the other thing is a criminal act. IMO UBC is being painted unfairly. Yes they could hire more security- and then raise tuition to cover the expense. Same thing with cameras. So where are the police in this story? Just who-other than the sick rapist is responsible for the acts of the rapists? And just who is responsible for catching the perp? Not the university-in my view. Maybe the police-that's a more likely place I think.

wrong.

the person to blame is the head of UBC because he has an english degree from Harvard. the great irony is that the man climbed so high into the ivory tower that he actually lost sight of that which he is meant to overlook

To come back to rape culture though, I think the only place it's relevant is in the blurred lines of consent that this intricate (and in my opinion, pointless) mating ritual brings. Campus culture doesn't lead to girls being picked off streets and raped.

I think this is a great point.

We have no evidence that this rapist is a UBC student or in any way affiliated with the University or exposed to the "rape culture". UBC is a place where a lot of young girls will be walking around alone. It's a vast university and has a lot of hiding spots in it.

The solution is simple: Increased security and surveilance.

Instead, we've got committees exploiting this situation to secure more funding. For the price of one of these committees you could afford to hire a half dozen security guards to patrol the university.

I think this is a great point.

We have no evidence that this rapist is a UBC student or in any way affiliated with the University or exposed to the "rape culture". UBC is a place where a lot of young girls will be walking around alone. It's a vast university and has a lot of hiding spots in it.

The solution is simple: Increased security and surveilance.

Instead, we've got committees exploiting this situation to secure more funding. For the price of one of these committees you could afford to hire a half dozen security guards to patrol the university.

why do you keep saying this

the committee pre-dates the assault. how could it be exploiting something that hadn't even happened yet? jesus christ

i said that before, then you made a vague comment about how there's a long history of sexual assault on campus, or something? according to the last UBC annual report, there wasn't a single sexual assault reported on campus in 2012. in the 2011 annual report, there were 2 issues of sexual assault, but one is a vague 'reporting' of a 2009 incident.

another comment you made about how there was an 'rushed immediate' reaction for a committee? when there very obviously wasn't (look at the dates). the committee was a response to the idiotic, misogynistic chanting that the idiot students were singing. if you can think of a better way to educate and fix intolerance, then maybe you should be leading the university

it seems to me like so many opinions in this thread are based purely around cynicism and paranoia, if not total ignorance

wrong.

the person to blame is the head of UBC because he has an english degree from Harvard. the great irony is that the man climbed so high into the ivory tower that he actually lost sight of that which he is meant to overlook

The head of an academic institution is responsible for the safety and security of private citizens, who are also non-students? What about the RCMP, who are the law enforcers of Electoral District A (aka UBC)?

I suggest you read that page and get a sense of what's going on there. There's well nuanced arguments against what you're stating (which might as well be nothing as you closed off your last reply stating you don't even know if this is the result of misogyny - your point is moot, so par for the course indeed)

huh?

Archived