The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, did Frans Nielsen's headshot on Kesler even get a look?

Xanlet

Freeze the clip at exactly 0:43 mark and you will see Nielsen's shoulder is making contact with Kesler's head. That is not a dive or an embellishment. Kesler got his bell rung.

League should probably review this but I don't think they will because Kesler wasn't hurt.

Freeze the clip at exactly 0:43 mark and you will see Nielsen's shoulder is making contact with Kesler's head. That is not a dive or an embellishment. Kesler got his bell rung.

League should probably review this but I don't think they will because Kesler wasn't hurt.

I think thats exactly the problem. Hertl was not hurt either on the Edler hit, yet Edler got 3 games. It's a double standard.

There is a 2 minute penalty for a hit to the head in the league,not every single contact with the head deserves a suspension otherwise they may as well change that call and make it a major. Im not even 100% sure if the head was the primary point of contact or not, hard to tell. Kesler milked it a bit anyways. Im not upset the least that didn't get a look.

does anyone actually have the clip? I briefly searched youtube, to no avail. Regardless of whether you think Kesler could have stayed on his feet, isn't it still a blindside hit where the principle point of contact is the head?

When viewing live, I thought Nielsen missed him altogether. In watching the replay it looks like he hit him in the shoulder. In watching it again on the highlight shows that confirmed it was shoulder to shoulder and not even an elbow.

There's no issue here people.

If it were Kesler on Nielssen I doubt it gets 'missed' - might find a way to spin it into a suspension.

However, I think it was Nielsen hitting Kesler principally on the right shoulder / back of the arm, albeit slightly from behind, spinning Kesler's head into the boards. No embellishment on Kesler's part - people trying to claim that are selling slanted crap.

Hit from behind? Definitely a minor imo, and a dangerous hit, but I don't think it's suspendable or principle point of contact (being the head).

xgjf4nl.gif

Edit: from the forward angle it looked like Nielsen might have caught his head, (43 second mark) but I think that other angle is misleading.

I think from this angle it's pretty clearly Nielsen's trunk into Kesler's right arm/shoulder. He does take his left hand off the stick and considers the chickenwing, but that is borderline at best and doesn't appear to be the brunt of the hit.

Thanks for the gif and video. The other angle was one I was looking for but hadn't seen yet.

I'm good with a penalty, but technically there's no such thing as a blindside hit any more. It's not a hit from behind since it's not even near the numbers and at worst the elbow does make some contact. But, since the main point of contact is the front right shoulder of Kesler, it's not suspendable on the hit to the head rule but rather that's incidental contact.

I guess we agree, since Nielsen's shoulder/torso hit Kesler in the shoulder in my view too. That's a regular hit but this one is a bit dangerous since he comes from out of Kesler's field of vision. No dive, just surprised by a solid contact.

I think thats exactly the problem. Hertl was not hurt either on the Edler hit, yet Edler got 3 games. It's a double standard.

Hertl may have carried a bit of an injury from that which was amplified by the next hit. They are totally different hits though and injury is hardly the main reason to suspend or not.

When viewing live, I thought Nielsen missed him altogether. In watching the replay it looks like he hit him in the shoulder. In watching it again on the highlight shows that confirmed it was shoulder to shoulder and not even an elbow.

There's no issue here people.

Look at the clip posted in this thread, specifically the 43 second mark. Seems pretty conclusive its directly to the head.

Look at the clip posted in this thread, specifically the 43 second mark. Seems pretty conclusive its directly to the head.

Watch the side view in the gif. Focus on Keslers head and then again on the number on Keslers sleeve. Principle point of contact is the right shoulder. It doesn't matter after that. It's all about principle point of contact when it comes to being suspendable.

Thanks for posting the video. I've been wanting to see that hit again since I'd only seen it from the front angle during the game.

Seeing it from other angle makes it clear it wasn't a head hit, and it was also clearly not a dive by Kesler. He was just knocked off balance by the shoulder contact as he was leaning forward, causing him to spin towards and fall into the boards, hitting his jaw on the top of the short boards as he came down. That's why he was holding his jaw when he came up. That's not a dive, just physics.

Watch the side view in the gif. Focus on Keslers head and then again on the number on Keslers sleeve. Principle point of contact is the right shoulder. It doesn't matter after that. It's all about principle point of contact when it comes to being suspendable.

You mean the shoulder you can't actually see because Nielsen is in the way from that angle? Yeah, I think the one where you can actually see where the contact is made would be the preferable one.

I guess we agree, since Nielsen's shoulder/torso hit Kesler in the shoulder in my view too. That's a regular hit but this one is a bit dangerous since he comes from out of Kesler's field of vision. No dive, just surprised by a solid contact.

Although he comes from behind, Nielson is actually a bit ahead of Kesler when contact occurs. It's a clean hit and he could have absolutely creamed Kesler on that play had he really put his shoulder into him..

You mean the shoulder you can't actually see because Nielsen is in the way from that angle? Yeah, I think the one where you can actually see where the contact is made would be the preferable one.

Believe what you want, most of you do.

Although he comes from behind, Nielson is actually a bit ahead of Kesler when contact occurs. It's a clean hit and he could have absolutely creamed Kesler on that play had he really put his shoulder into him..

agreed completely

It wasn't a head shot. Warranted a 2 minute boarding penalty and that's it IMO.

Knowing that the NHL gives longer looks to plays where there was an injury, you knew this one wasn't going to get much. Kesler didn't even go to the bench. He was back out for the start of that PP. Hard for the NHL to take that seriously.

I don't think we get treated unfairly when it comes to majors and suspendable offenses. I think it's the minors - hooking, tripping, interference, etc - where the Canucks really don't get any calls in our favour and we get called for a lot of undeserved minors against us.

Believe what you want, most of you do.

Actually look at the clip between 0:54 to 0:55 and you will see Nielsen is actually a step ahead of Kesler. Nielsen's left skate is ahead of Kesler's right skate and you will notice he never touches Kesler's right shoulder which is behind Nielsen.

When Nielsen comes across he misses Kesler's right shoulder and connects with his head. You can't take the side view as conclusive evidence because in that case it looks like they are side by side only when you look at the front angle you can tell that Nielsen in slightly ahead of Kesler and there is no way he could have connected with the shoulder first.

Re-watch the clip from 0:52 to 0:56 frame by frame and you will see what I mean.

Well, Kesler dove so nope.

The players were skating so fast, a 'dive' could have seriously injured Kes. I believe he milked it once he was down and realized he was ok. Most players do that.

Probably not a suspension worthy play, but one that had dangerous possibilities for sure.

Actually look at the clip between 0:54 to 0:55 and you will see Nielsen is actually a step ahead of Kesler. Nielsen's left skate is ahead of Kesler's right skate and you will notice he never touches Kesler's right shoulder which is behind Nielsen.

When Nielsen comes across he misses Kesler's right shoulder and connects with his head. You can't take the side view as conclusive evidence because in that case it looks like they are side by side only when you look at the front angle you can tell that Nielsen in slightly ahead of Kesler and there is no way he could have connected with the shoulder first.

Re-watch the clip from 0:52 to 0:56 frame by frame and you will see what I mean.

I think he pretty much captured it in his own post, he is just going to believe what he wants regardless of what the actual video shows

Archived