The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dubinsky cleared for head shot on Koivu?

Nothing in the NHL makes sense lol.

I was actually surprised this time that he wasn't suspended. It seemed like everything that was even a mere headshot was suspended.. and this hit was an obvious one...

Yet anything borderline, or not even close (such as the Canucks suspensions) are suspended right away...

Anyone wonder why there have been so many headshots lately ?

Because he didn't hit Koivus head.... It was Koivus stick.

"It was determined that Koivu hit himself in the head with his own stick that caused his concussion, not Dubinsky's shoulder. Therefore not supplemental discipline will be handed to Dubinsky, and instead a 5 game suspension will be handed to Koivu for recklessly using his stick. I'm Brendan Shanahan of the Derp Department of Player Safety"

Yeah, I was surprised nothing came of it either. Seriously I wonder how the innards of the NHL continue to function at times

Because he didn't hit Koivus head.... It was Koivus stick.

I agree it wasn't a headshot but I didn't see the stick.

lol, pause it at 40/41 seconds and tell me otherwise

It's not a headshot. The head is contacted but the league has said again and again that contact to the head is ok if it's incidental and the rest of the hit is legal. The key point of 'legal' to remember in hits like this is that it's a hit squarely through the body, it's not an elbow or other illegal contact point, the player doesn't jump/charge into the hit and it isn't late.

Dubinsky does hit squarely through the body, he keeps his elbow in even if his shoulder could be lower, his skates don't leave the ice since he doesn't jump into Koivu and the hit is about a half second after Koivu touched the puck.

This isn't a targeted headshot (the term the NHL uses now is main point of contact) because Dubinsky does those four things above and it would have been difficult for him to mitigate or avoid contact to the head when he's doing everything else he can to make a legal hit. He can only crouch so low into a hit so this isn't comparable to any other suspended hits I've seen recently.

In fact, the example that comes to mind is the Kronwall hit on Voracek:

Again, if the hit is squarely through the body and the head is also contacted by an otherwise legal hit, the head contact alone doesn't make it illegal. If someone fails to hit squarely through the body, has the elbow out, jumps or charges into a player or hits late, then the hit is illegal.

In Edler's case (since DeNiro mentioned it) he failed to hit squarely through the body, causing his hit to be illegal. That's just an example of how you can't compare the two as outrage over a suspension versus non-suspension.

Archived