The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts ask a reporter a question

Honeydews

From twitter, Does NOT have DS.

Yep. He's made it very clear that he doesn't have Down syndrome. I wonder why people made this assumption about him?

There doesn't seem to be anything on the net (written before the posts in this thread and some of tonight's related Twitter action) that even suggests Dickson Liong has Down syndrome.

Hope this whole fiasco hasn't spoiled the young man's night.

Here are Liong's recent tweets addressing the issue:

Dickson Liong@DLLiong 48m

I'm getting a bunch of comments saying I have down syndrome. Before anybody else thinks I do, I don't. I don't know where people get things.

Dickson Liong@DLLiong 35m

For those stating that I have down syndrome, I need assistance to help with my walking. That is all. #NHL

It shows how the media can portray a picture of someone/something that is so far off the mark. Sure, Torts likely is a short fused guy in some situations when he's been pushed up against a wall...most are. But when all we get are snippets of this, we jump to conclusions.

I think that the kind, compassionate human being that we're seeing isn't "newsworthy" so that part got left out along the way.

He's intense and hands on but that's what makes him a great coach. I was sold when I learned of how he does have a soft spot for both animals and people who could use a little TLC. A very good person from what I've learned.

Dickson was doing some stuff on here for awhile if I remember correctly...he seems very passionate about the team and I wish him all the luck.

I've thought that for years. By comparison Dallas Eakins doesn't seem like the nicest of dudes. Kinda seems like a bit of a jerk and glad we didn't hire him. But to his defense, I guess trying to coach of young babies will do that to you.

And Eakins looks a bit like David Tennant...

Honestly I don't think this Torts "changing his ways" like a lot of people say. I think he was always a nice guy but the media likes to focus more on him getting angry at reporters and making him seem like and asshole. The guy really just keeps it real, nothing fake about him.

That is what it is. Dude's a good guy, he's just brash and that sometimes rubs people the wrong way. He tells it like it is. The media is full of vultures though who want soundbites and quotes that'll generate buzz.

I personally think he's a cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.

Archived