The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] TO @ VAN | 4:00 PM | CBC | Pavel Bure Jersey Retirement |

Blueberries

Pavel Bure  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm likely going to miss the whole event :(

And with CanucksHD and Makaveli being censored, I'm afraid I won't be able to watch the ceremony in its entirety

Anyways, congrats to Bure. It feels different than Linden, Smyl, and Naslund. Those 3 did a lot for the community and they didn't have the baggage that Bure has. But maybe this is a time to turn the page on all that and honour Bure for the great player that he was. I was young when he played here but his flashing speed is something that stood out to me, even at the age of 5 or 6. It'll be a great night. Hope the Canucks get the big W against the Leafs to cap off a great event.

Why isn't Linden there?

Trevor Linden the only member of Canucks' retired-number club who won't attend ceremony for Pavel Bure:

On a day when the Canucks were celebrating Pavel Bure’s upcoming jersey retirement, a detail of Saturday’s ceremony jumped out like a head-high slapshot.

Former captain Trevor Linden, himself a jersey retiree, won’t be attending the festivities at Rogers Arena.

Whether or not there is anything to read into it, the optics weren’t great.

Markus Naslund, one of three previous Canucks players to have his number retired and jersey hung from the rafters in Rogers Arena, flew all the way from Sweden, to attend. Stan Smyl, the first player to have his jersey put into the rafters, works for the team so of course will be there.

Linden, who lives in Vancouver, is out of the country on a business trip that he committed to before the Bure jersey retirement was announced last summer, said Canucks media relations manager Chris Brumwell.

Linden, who will participate in the ceremony via video, couldn’t be reached for comment on Friday.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Trevor+Linden+attend+Pavel+Bure+jersey/9114558/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

you'd think the "best captain in Canucks history" would show up for the best player in Canuck history's jersey retirement... always disagreed with the Linden retirement. cares more about his fitness center than the team and city that gave him any popularity at all and pretty much worships him.

you'd think the "best captain in Canucks history" would show up for the best player in Canuck history's jersey retirement... always disagreed with the Linden retirement. cares more about his fitness center than the team and city that gave him any popularity at all and pretty much worships him.

Wow someone school this guy. This literally burns my eyes.

Wow someone school this guy. This literally burns my eyes.

I can't criticize a player who was incredibly overrated his time here with the Canucks? I don't think he did enough to earn a jersey retirement. Naslund was a better captain than Linden was. The least he can do for a team and city that adores him is show up for an hour or two for the best player to ever play for this 43 year franchises jersey retirement. If he's not sick or not physically unable to get here, why would he choose business over a once in a lifetime thing like this?

I can't criticize a player who was incredibly overrated his time here with the Canucks? I don't think he did enough to earn a jersey retirement. Naslund was a better captain than Linden was. The least he can do for a team and city that adores him is show up for an hour or two for the best player to ever play for this 43 year franchises jersey retirement. If he's not sick or not physically unable to get here, why would he choose business over a once in a lifetime thing like this?

Well the article clearly states the Linden already committed to the business trip BEFORE Bure's retirement ceremony was announced. Nothing wrong with being responsible and following through with one's commitments...

Well the article clearly states the Linden already committed to the business trip BEFORE Bure's retirement ceremony was announced. Nothing wrong with being responsible and following through with one's commitments...

I would understand if he was visiting his dying mother on her deathbed, or suddenly got sick and hospitalized, but miss something like this because of his fitness center most likely? I don't get it.

its called a job, can't just bail whenever you would like

You would choose being loyal to your work rather than honouring the player that made you? If Bure was never on the Canucks, Linden's number never would have been retired. Bure was the only reason the Canucks got to the 94 finals

Archived