The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] TO @ VAN | 4:00 PM | CBC | Pavel Bure Jersey Retirement |

Blueberries

Pavel Bure  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You would choose being loyal to your work rather than honouring the player that made you? If Bure was never on the Canucks, Linden's number never would have been retired. Bure was the only reason the Canucks got to the 94 finals

It's not just being loyal to work...it's about responsibility. I'm sure Linden would have rescheduled the business trip if he could have. Why are you so worked up about this?

And also, all the players in the 94 run played a HUGE role. If you just want to look at Linden and Bure:

-Both were PPG players (Linden with 25 points in 24 games and Bure with 31 points in 24 games)

-They played different roles on the team...Bure was the go-to sniper on the team while Linden was the captain and leader for the Canucks

-Don't forget that Linden was injured (broken ribs) and still managed to score 2 goals in game 7 against the Rangers

I became a diehard fan during the WCE era so I never had the pleasure of watching Bure <_< I've heard lots of stories though, especially from my Dad. Hopefully Sestito can score that NHL 04 type goal that Linden was talking about against Jersey.

Can't wait for the game!!!! If we can pull off a similar winning % to the one on our last roadtrip in these next 6 games, I have full confidence in this team being able to do some damage. Beating or at least putting up a good fight against the Kings and Sharks would be a bonus!

You would choose being loyal to your work rather than honouring the player that made you? If Bure was never on the Canucks, Linden's number never would have been retired. Bure was the only reason the Canucks got to the 94 finals

"That made you"? You obviously weren't around/a fan back then. Trevor made his own way, through hard work and commitment. Sure, the team's success had a lot to do with having Pavel in the line up but don't kid yourself. Trevor Linden's personal success came through his dedication ... he was an iron man for a reason. Just look at the picture of he and Kirk and the fact that guys heard him scream in pain in the training room yet go back out there and play. "He will play"...Jim Robson had it right.

Pavel was NOT the only reason...a big part of, yes. But that team had everything clicking and everyone on board at the same/right time.

And Trevor Linden was having his number retired on his own. Through what he did, both on and off ice, for a very long time. Team Captain, he sucked it up and played with broken ribs when it counted.

My guess is you were born in '95.

"That made you"? You obviously weren't around/a fan back then. Trevor made his own way, through hard work and commitment. Sure, the team's success had a lot to do with having Pavel in the line up but don't kid yourself. Trevor Linden's personal success came through his dedication ... he was an iron man for a reason. Just look at the picture of he and Kirk and the fact that guys heard him scream in pain in the training room yet go back out there and play "he will play". He was NOT the only reason...that team had everything clicking and everyone on board at the same/right time. My guess is you were born in '95.

well said Deb. Thanks for this.

Don't know how anyone can question the loyalty that Trevor showed for this team and this city. Upsets me that people would have that opinion.

"That made you"? You obviously weren't around/a fan back then. Trevor made his own way, through hard work and commitment. Sure, the team's success had a lot to do with having Pavel in the line up but don't kid yourself. Trevor Linden's personal success came through his dedication ... he was an iron man for a reason. Just look at the picture of he and Kirk and the fact that guys heard him scream in pain in the training room yet go back out there and play. "He will play"...Jim Robson had it right.

Pavel was NOT the only reason...a big part of, yes. But that team had everything clicking and everyone on board at the same/right time.

And Trevor Linden was having his number retired on his own. Through what he did, both on and off ice, for a very long time. Team Captain, he sucked it up and played with broken ribs when it counted.

83 actually. i've followed Linden's whole career. Linden would be no more than a 3rd line/2nd line tweener player without Bure. did he put his heart into the team? of course. would he be good enough without the 94 success and career years with Bure? doubt it

Big night for Pavel Bure....I was at his first game as a Canuck against the Jets..Incredible..!!....Our first superstar..Anyway,big game tomorrow night against the Leafs.I dont think they've beaten us in years...nothing gives me more pleasure....It will be a very tough game,they have drastically improved (I'd say Randy Carlyle has a lot to do with that..and Im sure he has a winning coaching record against the Canucks).

83 actually. i've followed Linden's whole career. Linden would be no more than a 3rd line/2nd line tweener player without Bure. did he put his heart into the team? of course. would he be good enough without the 94 success and career years with Bure? doubt it

so your saying his worth to this franchise and city is only based on his statistics?

also 6 30 goal seasons is not a 3rd line or second line tweener but nice try.

Pavel may be my all time favourite player but Linden was leading this team with his play on the ice way before Bure even stepped on the scene.

I was. ;) GUILTY.

Getting very excited about tomorrow's game! The Leafs won't be the cakewalk that they used to be, but regardless of the outcome, it'll be incredible to see Bure honoured, and to have the Sedins signed for four more years. As fans, we've been spoiled. I'd really love to see a win - no team pisses me off more than the Leafs - not because of their players, but because of everything Toronto and their elitist, centre-of-the-universe existence.

I like Linden a lot; but agree, he should be there.

Could this have anything to do with mgt(especially Brian Burke), who also hates current ownership? Linden still buds with BB? Don't know if it was Burkey's strategy, but it's hard to forget the currency games(uhh, was that US, CAD $, or mexican pesos?), when they were haggling with the superstar.

Probably that happened after the guy moved on to Hartford-can't remember? Media WAS so different then however(Canucks ownership had their hands in it), & I recall BB using Dan Russell's show as his little bully pulpit.

Surprised how many fans complain of MG's style. Will take him before BB 100x out of 100. Love the patient, anti-bombastic, anti-knee jerk, measured, in-control, non-gossipy and RESPECTFUL style.

Archived