The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It sucks to be the Flyers & Braden Holtby

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=22181&navid=nhl:topheads If it wasn't for Buffalo, they'd be last in the East. Downie is out indefinitely after one game, Lecavalier is cut, Pronger is toast and they can't keep the puck out of the net. At least Ray Emery can fight. If I was Braden Holtby, I'd be looking to hone my fighting skills on my teammates. Holtby was getting his ass handed to him and nobody came to help him. Bummer...Late-

Schenn's also a coward for having his visor on. This isn't the first time he's done that, but Urbom still beat him. Washington should have had people help Holtby, even if it were someone from the bench. Having a goalie beat like that, could have been dangerous. Lots of shots at the back of the head. It's also assault from Emery. He said it himself, Holtby didn't want to fight, but Emery told him he had no choice. Ref was being a idiot and should have jumped in. Should also be disciplined.

I did watch the video. Third man or not, if I'm his teammate watching him get crushed, I jump in. Holtby took LOTS of punches, after awhile you gotta get in there. Late-

Exactly. It doesn't even matter if you get 10 games suspension. Considering how Holtby was, he could have easily been concussed and out for the season. Terrible teammates.

Emery is a coward. If someone cheap-shots one of your players, you have a right to fight them without their consent. However, Holtby had not done anything wrong, and Emery suckered him. Holtby didn't even have his blocker or glove off . Impossible to defend yourself when you cannot grab on to the other guys jersey (the whole point of the tie-down rule).

I'd like to see, as Eliotte Friedman mentioned, a big fine for the Flyers organization.

Yeah, I agree that someone SHOULD have jumped in. It seems the ref's were trying to calm the situation down as much as possible. Everyone had a man. I feel bad for Holtby, he didn't even have a chance to take off his gloves before Emery was jumping him, throwing punches.

I kind of saw it the other way. St. Laurent or whatever his name is basically tried to prevent the Caps players from jumping in to help Holtby. Laich was there and then the ref got between him and the goalies and Laich would have basically had to push the reft to get in and stop the fight.

I think fighting should be in the game, but last night was great fodder for those who want to see fighting out of the game.

Schenn's also a coward for having his visor on. This isn't the first time he's done that, but Urbom still beat him. Washington should have had people help Holtby, even if it were someone from the bench. Having a goalie beat like that, could have been dangerous. Lots of shots at the back of the head. It's also assault from Emery. He said it himself, Holtby didn't want to fight, but Emery told him he had no choice. Ref was being a idiot and should have jumped in. Should also be disciplined.

He took off Urboms helmet and started throwing after it came off. Glad Asham speedbagged him a few years back

Emery should have been suspended. He admitted Holtby verbally told him no and he said "well, be ready" and attacked. If I was shanny he would have been suspended. But the real idiot award goes to that ref!

Review of ref #38 logic:

• Holtby rejected the fight and kept his equipment on and then got attacked by Emery and could not even get his stuff off, no issue
  • Emery is continuously punching him in the back of the head, no issue there
  • Holtby's teammates want to intervene and stop this attack, but I will not allow it because Holtby seems conscious from his continuous back of the head strikes, no issue here
  • Since I the referee works for the UFC, there is clearly no issue with hitting a downed individual
  • I am also going to stand there with my arms on my hip because my birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory

I kind of saw it the other way. St. Laurent or whatever his name is basically tried to prevent the Caps players from jumping in to help Holtby. Laich was there and then the ref got between him and the goalies and Laich would have basically had to push the reft to get in and stop the fight.

I think fighting should be in the game, but last night was great fodder for those who want to see fighting out of the game.

Yeah, I spoke of that in my earlier post. I agree that the Cap's players were trying to jump in, and the ref's, as I said were holding back that "third man in".

Emery should have been suspended. He admitted Holtby verbally told him no and he said "well, be ready" and attacked. If I was shanny he would have been suspended. But the real idiot award goes to that ref!

Review of ref #38 logic:

• Holtby rejected the fight and kept his equipment on and then got attacked by Emery and could not even get his stuff off, no issue
  • Emery is continuously punching him in the back of the head, no issue there
  • Holtby's teammates want to intervene and stop this attack, but I will not allow it because Holtby seems conscious from his continuous back of the head strikes, no issue here
  • Since I the referee works for the UFC, there is clearly no issue with hitting a downed individual
  • I am also going to stand there with my arms on my hip because my birth certificate is an apology from the condom factory

lol

Emery is a coward. If someone cheap-shots one of your players, you have a right to fight them without their consent. However, Holtby had not done anything wrong, and Emery suckered him. Holtby didn't even have his blocker or glove off . Impossible to defend yourself when you cannot grab on to the other guys jersey (the whole point of the tie-down rule).

I'd like to see, as Eliotte Friedman mentioned, a big fine for the Flyers organization.

Agree. I also hate the players who purposely don't tie down the jersey if they're a fighter (ie Bieksa).

As a goalie myself, I can tell you when you hit someone with your blocker can be really painfull for the one receiving it. If Holtby would have land a good punch with his blocker on Emery's face, the fight would have been over really quick. What would hava happen next,

Brendan Shanahan: "Hey Braden, Brendan Shanahan here, what did happened yesterday?"

Braden Holtby: "Hello mister Shanahan, Emery just rushed on me"

BS: "I saw that, but why did you kept your blocker and hit him with it?"

BH: "He ask me if I wanted to drop, I said no, he told me that I didnt had the choice. I never fought in my life and I just freaked out."

BS: "Ok, you'll be suspended for 3 games, I understand you could freaked out, you just tried to protect yourself and Emery assaulted you. Next time you want to punch someone, remove your gloves."

Archived