The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo now 16th in NHL History for Wins

JustNazzy

Realistically, he will end up #3 when he's done and may even push for 2nd...something we all forget.

That being said, wins are also a 'team' stat....what will matter when he's done will be

1. Did he win a cup - the big one...

2. What was his save % relative to those in the top 5 - seems like he'll be there

3. What was his gaa relative to those in the top 5 - seems like he'll be there

4. How many shutouts relative to those in the top 5 - who knows..tough one

If he's in the same area as the top 5 and achieves all of that, well he'll be our second hall of famer.

2. SV% can be scued big time. Just look at our team, Lu has been solid in Oct but his sv % isn't as high because we haven't been giving up many shots. Yet we are shooting from everywhere on goalies. Against the Pens Fleury made at least 12-15 saves just standing up, not even moving.

3. But Lu's GAA right now is in 11th...

So the team is responsible for Lu's shutouts? I don't agree. If Luongo can't stop those last squeaker goals as you call them then he didn't deserve a shutout. Otherwise, there should be a team stat for shutouts, not a goaltender one.

As you can see on the list, Curtis Joseph is on there and he never won a Cup. That will likely be the same for Luongo. So if you're all happy with having Luongo never win a Stanley Cup then I applaud you but I don't see a Leafs jersey retirement for Joseph nor has he been selected right away for the HHOF. We may retire his jersey (I shudder at the thought right now) because of our mediocre 40+ year history.

No question he's been great in the regular season but he still has a long way to restore my faith in the post season and cast off the perception of a Jekyll and Hyde goaltender. Clearly I wasn't the only one as management must've thought that way too when Schneider eventually won the starting job from Luongo.

I wish Lu the best this and upcoming seasons and hope he can prove me wrong.

Not exactly on the topic, but when I watch Lui's recent interviews I have a feeling that he is not miserable in Vancouver anymore. He seems to be more content then before. Or it's just me?

I have noticed it too. Just look at last night's interview he looked pretty happy, although he got a shutout. He got the player of the game headband/shirt but even said "i don't know why I am wearing this" saying the guys were playing so well.

Since the Montreal game he has seemed happy, but that was just a frustrating game for him. As I said, he signed the 12 year contract and committed the rest of his career to this team and city.

People really fail to recognize that Lu played for Florida quite some time

Bottom place team, poor defence the guy was averaging 40 shots per night minimum

Roy, brodeur played for great times with great defensive systems

Colorado, New Jersey were top tier teams in the league with great D and offence

It just shows how truly great Loui really is

Yet ppl fail to recognize that we're lucky to even have a goalie like him in our organization

He did a lot for us, held it down

Shout out to the man , Roberto Luongo

Schnieds still has better numbers than Lou

and fyi, schnieds has better first 3 year numbers than Brodeur.

Not anymore after tonight's game. And he's on a downtrend while Lu is just heating up. Also, it's waaay too early to compare the achievements of Schneider and Brodeur. We've seen plenty of young hot goalies who disappeared after a few seasons (or less) as a starter. Schneider at age 27 has not yet played a full season in the NHL as a starter.

Schnieds still has better numbers than Lou

and fyi, schnieds has better first 3 year numbers than Brodeur.

You are comparing Schneider stats when he was 25 vs brodeur when he was like 20 or something? Why don't we compare rookies with ppl that's hitting their prime or way further in development

I don't know why wins are a stat for goaltenders, they didn't win the game by themselves. Dumb stat, but I hope he can take #2. It feels better when the player was yours since draft day though.

I believe he can get it done with this team. I am a bigger fan of Broduer for goaltenders which is my reason for wanting Lu #2.

He has a shot at 2nd in wins in the next 4 years with his regular 35+ wins a season.

Now I pose this again, same thing I posed for Brodeur, imagine his numbers IF

There is not two lockouts

AV actually played a defensive style of play

The team didn't let in all those squeaker goals with minutes left to lose him a shutout.

By the time Luongo finishes his career he will be 2nd in all time wins, 3rd in all time shutouts and will have less or comparable losses than most others in the top 10 doing it.

But he will still only be known as the guy we should have traded instead of Schneider or ripped on for 3 playoff meltdowns because some people....

Are just that stupid

7/10. Would read again. Lost marks for not using a bigger font for "Are just that stupid".

Brace yourself...

The Luongo haters are coming

They only come out after a loss or even one bad goal.

I've been saying this since the draft that we got a #9 pick in a deep draft for a goalie that hasn't played a full NHL season at age 27 and we kept an all star goalie who has a very reasonable cap hit. The only problem with Luongo was whether he wanted to be here or not and so far he's shown up and is playing effectively. Gillis cleaned up a pretty bad situation quite well I'd say.

Goalies like Lou, Kipper, Nabobov, Khabibulin et al play in an area without ties (starting 2005/2006) and others played at different eras with far fewer games. Hasek, for example, has 81 ties. Perhaps you can divide that number in two and give him 40 more wins and 40 more SO or OT loses. I think you could drop a number of tenders quite a number of spots without dissing anyone.

Goalies like Lou, Kipper, Nabobov, Khabibulin et al play in an area without ties (starting 2005/2006) and others played at different eras with far fewer games. Hasek, for example, has 81 ties. Perhaps you can divide that number in two and give him 40 more wins and 40 more SO or OT loses. I think you could drop a number of tenders quite a number of spots without dissing anyone.

Shootout is so stupid...

Being a Panthers fan when i was 10 i always wondered what Luongos stats would look like on a decent team. If he had been playing for the Canucks all his career he would probably be 1 or 2 at the end.

If he played for us from 2000/01 season, we would have two cups by now... maybe not, but 2002, 2003, and 2004 playoffs with Luongo would have been great.

Luongo has 108 wins playing for Florida and 7 wins playing for NYI. His first full season was 2000-2001 season. The Canucks wins from 00/01 season to 05/06, which is the season before the trade that brought him here are:

36, 42, 45, 43, 42 (total is 208). On the other hand, Florida won:

22, 22, 24, 28, 37 (total is 133) and Luongo won:

12, 16, 20, 25, 35 (total is 108), so Luongo got 81% of the Panthers' wins in that period. For ease of calculation, let's say Luongo would have gotten 80% of the wins had he played for the Canucks and that he did not particularly play better than Cloutier or Auld in that we would have won the same number of games with him in net (which is false but for the sake of argument...), then he would have gotten 208*0.8=166 wins instead of 108. So he would have 166-108=58 more wins by this simplistic calculation so he would have 356+58=414 wins for 8th all-time. Add around 25-35 wins that he is likely to get this year and he will be 6th all-time in wins by the season's end.

Just looking at Luongo's Florida stats, I realized that in 2003-2004, he had .931 save percentage! Him on the Canucks in that season would have gotten the Canucks 50+ wins, Luongo 40+ wins, and Lui would have won Vezina. Being hypothetical sometimes is fun! I guess the trade that brings Luongo to Vancouver from NYI in 2000 would have been Brashear+3rd, seeing as how Milbury loves toughness, he would have jumped all over that trade.

Archived