The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo now 16th in NHL History for Wins

JustNazzy

I don't get what you 2 are trying to achieve by hating Lu...Clearly your lover Schneider got dealt and Luongo is our goalie, so are you guys not cheering for the team anymore? Were you upset and not happy last game after beat the leafs? I'm confused tell me what state of mind you guys are in.

I actually dont hate Lu, what I hate are his die-hard fans who speak as though he's perfect, has nothing left to prove, and that there's never been anything wrong with his game. Whenever he wins it's all him, whenever he loses it's all the team's fault for not scoring enough or not defending properly.

Luongo fans also have a nasty little habit of suggesting people go cheer for another team if they're critical of him. Guess what Lu-lovers? Luongo is not the Canucks franchise! I was a Canuck fan long before Luongo arrived and I'll continue to be one long after he's gone.

What does piss me off about Luongo is that I and everyone else knows that he's capable of playing amazing hockey. For whatever reason however he picks the worst possible times (playoff games) to come undone. One game he's a brick wall, the next he's a cardboard cutout. There's no use in having an elite player who consumes an elite amount of cap space if that player cant be counted on when the games matter the most. I'm not trying to say that Luongo should carry this team to a championship every year, no. All I'm saying is that more often than not he shouldn't be a big factor in the team being eliminated. Find that extra gear, maintain it, and if you dont win at least you put your best games on the ice, kind of like he did in '07. I thought that's what elite players were supposed to do.

This is my position on the matter, like it or dont. Go Canucks!

Wow, taken advantage of by 1/2 of Canucks fans, I did not realize this, I was in the Schneider boat but am glad with Luongo being on our team, he is still an elite goalie as can be seen by his play in October.

Good for Lou, I can see him moving up three or four spots by seasons end if we continue to play like we have this last month.

Just a heads up, don't even bother talking to this guy. I haven't seen him address or respond to someone in over a year except maybe 1 out of 100 times. He spouts off without thinking then leaves. Your points are valid though.

Valid points don't need a rebuttal to the minions now do they? Then again, it seems to be worth repeating. In the olden days, before they invented electricity (that's a joke btw, for those that missed it), the NHL had ties in the regular season rather than a SO or OT. (SHOOT OUT OR OVERTIME FOR THOSE THAT CAN'T KEEP UP). We now have a situation where a goalie and a team loses more games and wins more as well as in the past there would have been a tie. It is fair to say that approx (approximately) half of the ties might have ended up as a loss and the other half ending up being a win had they played with the current rules (give the better team a few extra wins if you like because that further validates my point.) Now, give Moog an extra 40 wins or take away 40 from those that play in the current era (I don't give a shlt) And don't get me started on seasons with fewer than 82 games (all of them prior to 1992) , Back to work rather than mom's place for me.

Edit. If you take all of the reasonable scenarios/variables into account, Lou is approx barely top 30 now which is quite an accomplishment.

Further edit

Call me a troll if you like but I've been a Canuck's fan longer than you've been alive.

I HAVE BEEN A FAN BEFORE LOU SHOWED UP (add Linden and Smyl and Naslund as well) AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE LONG AFTER LOU'S GONE.

4 years of 35 wins a season average, and he'll be #3

356+27(needed to reach 35 this season)+35+35+35=488 Supplanting Belfour at #3

So 99 more wins and he'll surpass Cujo (454 wins) as the goalie with the most wins and no cup. I truly hope that doesn't happen but it is a distinct possibility.

Haven't seen Lu play this good and confident for a while, I think he's back folks.

And it's October......

i love how you posted this in november already, but i agree, it wasn't the usual goaltober for Lou that we are accustomed to while he got into regular season form.

I don't understand why this is still such a hot topic for some of you.. Can't you guys just move on already from the lu is great / lu is crap debate?

If you don't care for him and think he's inconsistent, great! But what business do you have to come into a positive and congratulatory thread for Lu's achievements and start talking crap.

All it does is incite negetivity and propagate this garbage and after all these years its beyond old.

You guys against and for Lu, please ffs stop trying to convince anyone of your position.. And if you wat to come into a thread just to sound like an idiot and provoke people, why don't you get a life instead.

Thank you

I find it hilarious how Lu supporters keep referring to Vancouver as the goalie graveyard even when Cloutier was here. Cloutier was our best goaltender and held many of the clubs records before Luongo and it doesn't stop any of you from throwing him under the bus any chance you get to hero worship Luongo. And you criticize the Lu haters. None of you are any better. Just more hypocritical. Many of you couldn't even support Schneider and tore him down whenever you guys could.

I'm no fan of Luongo nor believe we'll win a Cup with him but I can at least support him as I did many goaltenders before like Cloutier and the other members of the goalie graveyard.

Honestly I no longer care what smurf Riviera and company say as the bash lui.

The champ has stayed in vancouver. I am happy.

Gonna sit back... grab a drink and watch the Roberto Luongo show. Can't wait until he wins the cup and we can all watch the Hollywood movie of it.

Holy crap . There is a HELL of a lot of flaming going on in this thread.

If I may be so bold to suggest Lui is one of the best goalies of his generation , I dont think I would get too many complaints. :)

i wouldn't complain, in fact i would agree. regardless of love him or hate him, he has been.

he's my favorite goalie in the league. and i hope he retires here with 2 cups to his name.

I actually dont hate Lu, what I hate are his die-hard fans who speak as though he's perfect, has nothing left to prove, and that there's never been anything wrong with his game. Whenever he wins it's all him, whenever he loses it's all the team's fault for not scoring enough or not defending properly.

Luongo fans also have a nasty little habit of suggesting people go cheer for another team if they're critical of him. Guess what Lu-lovers? Luongo is not the Canucks franchise! I was a Canuck fan long before Luongo arrived and I'll continue to be one long after he's gone.

What does piss me off about Luongo is that I and everyone else knows that he's capable of playing amazing hockey. For whatever reason however he picks the worst possible times (playoff games) to come undone. One game he's a brick wall, the next he's a cardboard cutout. There's no use in having an elite player who consumes an elite amount of cap space if that player cant be counted on when the games matter the most. I'm not trying to say that Luongo should carry this team to a championship every year, no. All I'm saying is that more often than not he shouldn't be a big factor in the team being eliminated. Find that extra gear, maintain it, and if you dont win at least you put your best games on the ice, kind of like he did in '07. I thought that's what elite players were supposed to do.

Not once have a I said he's perfect, nor have I said he didn't have an impact on us being ousted in the play-offs. I will be the 1st to say when Lu is faltering as I did in the 1st 2 weeks of games this season.

My issue is, you take every accomplishment and anything he's done good and put asterisks beside it all and just keep bringing up 3 play off series like they defined his entire career. As I said before, you don't judge a player by 1 game, 1 series, or even 1 season... You judge them based off their career, that is what defines a player.

J.Quick has had some pretty shabby play-off performances but look at him now. Brodeur as well has looked bad in his career and he still finished on top. Roy got booed off a team and that almost happened to Roberto, every player has their ups and downs, but it's what they finish with that defines them.

I actually dont hate Lu, what I hate are his die-hard fans who speak as though he's perfect, has nothing left to prove, and that there's never been anything wrong with his game. Whenever he wins it's all him, whenever he loses it's all the teams fault

1. Yea you do hate Lu

2. Luongo is not perfect... he is better than perfect

3. I agree with your last sentence. Glad you think that.

:bigblush:

Not once have a I said he's perfect, nor have I said he didn't have an impact on us being ousted in the play-offs. I will be the 1st to say when Lu is faltering as I did in the 1st 2 weeks of games this season.

My issue is, you take every accomplishment and anything he's done good and put asterisks beside it all and just keep bringing up 3 play off series like they defined his entire career. As I said before, you don't judge a player by 1 game, 1 series, or even 1 season... You judge them based off their career, that is what defines a player.

J.Quick has had some pretty shabby play-off performances but look at him now. Brodeur as well has looked bad in his career and he still finished on top. Roy got booed off a team and that almost happened to Roberto, every player has their ups and downs, but it's what they finish with that defines them.

I have judged Luongo based on his playoff career. I dont see how anybody can look at that body of work and see no issue with it. After '07, each playoff season he's finished with ordinary to poor stats, that cant be an anomaly. I hope very much that Luongo can start putting it together in the postseason more consistently and with any luck get his hands on a cup while still wearing our jersey. Like you say, you judge them based on their career, so hopefully he'll finish strong.

You'll never see me complain about what he's done during the regular season, he's always been consistently reliable there.

I guess you just like to ignore the fact that with the current OT/SO situation that Lou could be lowered by 10 spots easily as of now compared to others that didn't play in the current era. He's just behind Vachon who has 127 ties. How about Barrasso that has 86 ties or Moog that has 88? How about Belfour (4 Jennings, one Calder (lol), 2 Vezinas and a Stanley cup) ? He's played ~200 more games and has ~ 130 more wins (65 % winning %) and has 125 ties?

That's almost like saying Gretzky played in an era which had far more goals scored and completely different penalties called/rules. There was a lot more hooking and grabbing going on back then compared to now...so guys like Crosby are actually better than Gretzky.

Different eras and different rules are just part of the game. Who knows how many wins those guys would have had with OT/SO, but who knows how many more goals Luongo would have allowed without a mask. You can't compare eras that way, right now the only way we have to do so is with plain stats and in that regard, Luongo will end up trumping all bar 2 goalies in the history of the game.

That's almost like saying Gretzky played in an era which had far more goals scored and completely different penalties called/rules. There was a lot more hooking and grabbing going on back then compared to now...so guys like Crosby are actually better than Gretzky.

Different eras and different rules are just part of the game. Who knows how many wins those guys would have had with OT/SO, but who knows how many more goals Luongo would have allowed without a mask. You can't compare eras that way, right now the only way we have to do so is with plain stats and in that regard, Luongo will end up trumping all bar 2 goalies in the history of the game.

So, a few easy wins (comparatively) puts his accomplishments in the Gretzky discussion? Take 30% of Gretzky's points away and what do you have?

I'm sorry you clearly are a hater, I've seen your posts for a while. Every comment someone makes about Lu you always have a negative to say. Funny how after last game your posts were no where to be found, because you couldn't say anything bad about Lu because he was solid and had a shutout.

And if you claim to not hate him even you should know this oct for Lu was unlike before. Stats were not as high but he kept the team in every game and gave them a chance to win all of them. And as I asked before, were you not happy after sat's win?

Archived