The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo now 16th in NHL History for Wins

JustNazzy

Luongo is the NHLs version of peyton manning minus the championship and mvp's.... great vs a weak schedule in regular season.

With the exception of maybe Tom Brady I'm sure that's a comparison any professional athlete would be thrilled to have, despite the connotation you attached to it.

Nabby didn't play half his career in florida

True, since coming to Vancouver and especially in the past few years, Luongos winning % is the best active. But that's not to take away from Nabokovs success, people need to stop putting asterisks next to peoples achievements

The debate is old, the debaters are the same, the conversation is boring. There have to be hundreds of threads we could open up and see the exact same posts by the exact same people proving nothing to anyone. Everyone has their opinion.

I want to give Lu props for the achievement. After the start to this season, and the first two games of November, I cannot wait to see what he will do this year. I am a Luongo fan, but I don't worship the ground he walks on. He hasn't been perfect, but he is a head and shoulders above any other goalie that has worn Canucks' colours. That's not even much of an opinion, that's based on his outstanding career. I am enjoying watching a superb athlete compete night in and night out. He gives us a chance to win every single game and it's a treat to see him make his mark on the record books. Why can't people just enjoy the show?

I have to agree with this sentiment.

The argument is old but I'll add this. The team D was shambles beginning with the 8 goal game. Luo didn't play well but in fact only a couple of those goals were on him. Kesler was hurt, Ballard out, Salo, etc. I'd lay money pretty happily on no team ever getting to 7 games with as few goals as we did. It's not about whether Lu failed the team or the team failed him. It was the team that won and the team that lost. It was a very psychological game. The Bruins basically conceded away games, we did much the same, until Game 7. Then they were the team with the reserves of mental grit, and the luck. One of the first goals was a bad bounce and the team didn't have the heart to believe. Lu gave up on a goal - that was his, and a big one. But it was partly because the team was done, an unlucky early goal against a team whose goalie broke the record for saves in a series and in a playoff year. And the team was done partly because we all didn't understand the 8 goal game, that there was almost nothing left and that reforming and continuing in the series was a lot more than the least that could be expected. The Bruins were the better even strength team, don't forget, in the playoffs and I think all year in a no-call finals.

The argument is old but I'll add this. The team D was shambles beginning with the 8 goal game. Luo didn't play well but in fact only a couple of those goals were on him. Kesler was hurt, Ballard out, Salo, etc. I'd lay money pretty happily on no team ever getting to 7 games with as few goals as we did. It's not about whether Lu failed the team or the team failed him. It was the team that won and the team that lost. It was a very psychological game. The Bruins basically conceded away games, we did much the same, until Game 7. Then they were the team with the reserves of mental grit, and the luck. One of the first goals was a bad bounce and the team didn't have the heart to believe. Lu gave up on a goal - that was his, and a big one. But it was partly because the team was done, an unlucky early goal against a team whose goalie broke the record for saves in a series and in a playoff year. And the team was done partly because we all didn't understand the 8 goal game, that there was almost nothing left and that reforming and continuing in the series was a lot more than the least that could be expected. The Bruins were the better even strength team, don't forget, in the playoffs and I think all year in a no-call finals.

The bruins never gave us a game we had to earn all of our wins at home. And we only gave up when the score got high in games 3 and 4 if you recall in game 6 the score was 4-0 going into the third but our team for some reason didn't give up. Here's what I think is Henrik's most beautiful goal but it was lost in the fact the bruins were taking us to game 7.

That game henrik was trying all game and at the start when he had a open net and the puck bounced over his stick. After the above goal the canucks controlled the play as AV put hansen with the sedins. They had a few open nets and when hansen hit the post then the bruins realized that vancouver had the momentum and all of a sudden they found themselves on a 5 on 3 powerplay which they ended up scoring on. My point is your point that the teams gave away games to each other is entirely false. I still believe if it weren't for the terrible reffing that went in game 6 we could have won that game or at least tied it and went to OT. I never saw the sedins play like that and don't think I will ever again they were doing a new style and caught everyone even our own players off guard.

Well I think you are mostly right but I do remember (fairly sure) Thomas or another player talk about the home games as a tradeoff, whether that's their rewrite of it after the fact or their way of explaining the series and capping it up in their mind, or if that's actually how it was to a degree. Clearly there weren't real 'gimmies' for Thomas to have gotten the record number of saves.

Schnieds still has better numbers than Lou

and fyi, schnieds has better first 3 year numbers than Brodeur.

It's difficult to make that same comparison because Brodeur entered the league when games were high scoring at 6.911 goals per game. You had 9 players scoring 50 or more in 93/94, and 14 with over 40-49 goals. Then came the trap and goal scoring went way down to about 5.464 goals per game with Schneider's first season. In 2010/11, there was only one player with 50 or more goals and only 4 players scoring 40-49 goals. Aside from statistics, Brodeur was a better player than Cory in their first 3 seasons.

Archived