The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nichushkin scores first NHL goal

studlymuf67

I thought he was NHL ready right from the draft. I was wrong.

Just because he scored doesn't mean that he's good enough for the NHL.

In the end, Horvat was a better choice.

You can't say that yet, Horvat hasn't even played a game and it's only been a few months since the draft.

One thing is that we didn't make a mistake by keeping Horvat on the team. Lots of time for both players to prove their worth.

I thought he was NHL ready right from the draft. I was wrong.

Just because he scored doesn't mean that he's good enough for the NHL.

In the end, Horvat was a better choice.

Horvat would made Sestito score... nough said

Horvat a better choice? Explain how.

And Horvat can make Sestito score? He's not a playmaker hes a TWF.

Nichushkin will score more points than Horvat no doubt. But Horvat will be a better defensive player, and can get some points once in a while.

yeah 3 points now 13 games into the season for a one-dimensional player yeah he sure is dominating now is he fire Gillis fire AV, you're a joke stop beating this dead horse, why couldn't you just go to the thread on how bad we "missed out" when he scored 2 goals in his first preseason game.

Are you stupid? He is 18 years older, we didn't expect him to score 20 in 13 games.

And at least he is playing in the NHL, and Nichishkun is a offensive player and will dominate the league, but later on.

Horvat is not a offensive player, he is a defensive player.

Horvat a better choice? Explain how.

And Horvat can make Sestito score? He's not a playmaker hes a TWF.

Nichushkin will score more points than Horvat no doubt. But Horvat will be a better defensive player, and can get some points once in a while.

Are you stupid? He is 18 years older, we didn't expect him to score 20 in 13 games.

And at least he is playing in the NHL, and Nichishkun is a offensive player and will dominate the league, but later on.

To be fair, Horvat is 18 years old.

Nobody really knows what type of player he's going to be yet.

Wrong again, impossible to say right now.

I meant for organizational needs.

I thought that Nichushkin should have been picked because he would have been ideal linemate for the Sedin to slip in and then Horvat was picked, who was still good but he doesn't have as high of a ceiling.

But then looking at how the season has unfolded thus far, he is not doing that well to be kept in the lineup.

It's all hindsight of course.

I'm not saying career wise, because, you're right - it's impossible to say. I'm saying choosing Horvat was the right choice FOR NOW over Nichushkin, since part of the reason why you would choose Nichushkin was that there was a belief that he would be NHL ready.

Heck, I think Shinkaruk was close to NHL ready.

Because 3 points in 13 games on a mediocre team that isn't filled with superstars is great for development.

What line does he even play?

This is the problem with alot of people on these boards.

The draft is very very RARELY meant to address your teams needs right now.

It's meant to address organizational needs down the line - if somebody can step in at age 18-21 Its a huge bonus, but it shouldn't be expected.

Usually there play in the OHL determines what type of player they will be, the big question is how good they can be at that role.

Lol, if that were the case, everyone who puts up 90+ points, which comprises a lot of players, would be superstars in the NHL.

OHL play is OHL play. You're assuming that it would translate to the NHL - not necessarily.

There are numerous players that are junior all-stars but when it came to the AHL/NHL, they weren't as great as before (for whatever reason it may be)

yeah 3 points now 13 games into the season for a one-dimensional player yeah he sure is dominating now is he fire Gillis fire AV, you're a joke stop beating this dead horse, why couldn't you just go to the thread on how bad we "missed out" when he scored 2 goals in his first preseason game.

According to your logic, Zack kassian is not NHL ready.

Nichushkin has the same amount of points as him, and is 5 years younger.

I bet you did not watch a single game of Nichushkin.

This is the problem with alot of people on these boards.

The draft is very very RARELY meant to address your teams needs right now.

It's meant to address organizational needs down the line - if somebody can step in at age 18-21 Its a huge bonus, but it shouldn't be expected.

Oh, I understand this.

But I am also readily admitting that I thought Nichushkin would be an NHL ready player. He isn't lighting the NHL on fire, which is fine, but what role is he playing now?

Is he getting a lot of minutes which would help his development?

Or... is he going to end up with low minutes with poor stats at the end of the year?

Rushing players into the NHL, more often than not, ends poorly for the player.

Archived