The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"If there's one person Zack Kassian needs to look at ... it's Chris Higgins" - Torts

BlueLemming

From the post-game interview of the Nucks/Leafs game.

I loved that he said this. Higgins and Hansen are perfect examples of consistent hard work and if Kassian could learn a thing or two from them then that would close a huge gap in his game.

Thoughts?

(Torts says this @ 21:43)

It's such a different feeling to hear the same things - or similar things the players do as a fan. I do not miss AV.

My mancrush on Torts' just keeps growing.

Hansen is a guy Zack should be watching, he's managed to improve every season he has been here.

He's gone from a borderline 4th liner, to a borderline 3rd liner, to a guy we can consider using on the 2nd line - and sometimes with the Sedins; PP? Sure. PK? Yep, Hansen can do that too.

Hell of a player, I think Zack will be just fine, he has too many good examples around him.

I love that Torts is providing examples that are right there in front of Kass...guys he can watch who'll demonstrate what do do vs trying to "describe" what he should be aiming for. I bet that's key for some guys...establishing a clear path and going for it (vs trying to do all things and be superstars). To focus on how he can contribute vs just trying to contribute.

I have a feeling this work in progress will pan out to be a fairly good thing for us. I already love his enthusiasm for the game...that generally does transfer over better than someone simply wanting to earn the big bucks and be a superstar. Zack appears to be having fun out there and that's important..to play for the love of the game.

Torts is a pretty keen guy who seems to already have a good grasp on how to use his line up. Feeling so optimistic about the whole deal.

I love that Torts is providing examples that are right there in front of Kass...guys he can watch who'll demonstrate what do do vs trying to "describe" what he should be aiming for. I bet that's key for some guys...establishing a clear path and going for it (vs trying to do all things and be superstars). To focus on how he can contribute vs just trying to contribute.

I have a feeling this work in progress will pan out to be a fairly good thing for us. I already love his enthusiasm for the game...that generally does transfer over better than someone simply wanting to earn the big bucks and be a superstar. Zack appears to be having fun out there and that's important..to play for the love of the game.

Torts is a pretty keen guy who seems to already have a good grasp on how to use his line up. Feeling so optimistic about the whole deal.

yup, I agree with everything you've said......

btw, funny how the head tilts the same way in both your avatar pic and the young boy with Pavel

or maybe I'm looking at them with a tilted head :lol:

thats the biggest change ive noticed in zack this year he is driving the play and he wants the puck last year he was just a passenger.

This is the crux of why Torts hasn't played him with the Sedins, IMO. Zack needs to learn to drive play, and no better way to do it than by producing and creating offense without the Sedins.

I've always loved Torts, and was hoping we'd pick him as coach the second I heard it was a possibility. I can't imagine any other coach in the league I'd rather have

Scary to think what would be going on under Eakins right now - good call by someone, he doesn't look NHL ready (even considering the roster he has to work with).

I was slightly worried about how Higgins would perform under Torts because (according to Rangers fans) he was dreadful in NY.

Silly me. Never doubt the man with the abs.

True True... I think Higgy is comfortable being apart of this team, with this group of guys. I don't know if that was the case in NY. Alot of pressure playing in front of family and friends.

Higgins is a hard worker, he just needs to be consistent. But other then that, the coach is right Zack should watch Higgins.

It's such a different feeling to hear the same things - or similar things the players do as a fan. I do not miss AV.

This

Torts gives the media what they want. So they don't have to put words in his mouth and speculate about anything. He gives them what the need.

I love statements like this because they give an insight into what he's expecting from different players. And he's spot on. If Kassian could bring a Higgins-like performance on a consistent basis, we'd be in good shape. Hopefully this gives Kassian something to work for. You can tell Torts has a lot of respect for Higgins from their NYR days.

No Raymond was invisible in the playoffs glad he's gone.

I thought Raymond was invisible in the TO game as well, but there was no denying that the Grabner-Kesler-Raymond line was just a freakishly fast line.

The game is results-oriented though.

Raymond's good at the other stuff but he was paid too much at 2.5 mill for someone who disappears as frequently as he does.

Archived