Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

"If there's one person Zack Kassian needs to look at ... it's Chris Higgins" - Torts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 BlueLemming

BlueLemming

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

From the post-game interview of the Nucks/Leafs game.

I loved that he said this. Higgins and Hansen are perfect examples of consistent hard work and if Kassian could learn a thing or two from them then that would close a huge gap in his game.

Thoughts?

(Torts says this @ 21:43)

Edited by BlueLemming, 03 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#2 Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

The Last Of Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

POPULAR

It's such a different feeling to hear the same things - or similar things the players do as a fan. I do not miss AV.

My mancrush on Torts' just keeps growing.

Hansen is a guy Zack should be watching, he's managed to improve every season he has been here.

He's gone from a borderline 4th liner, to a borderline 3rd liner, to a guy we can consider using on the 2nd line - and sometimes with the Sedins; PP? Sure. PK? Yep, Hansen can do that too.

Hell of a player, I think Zack will be just fine, he has too many good examples around him.

Edited by TheDeadman, 03 November 2013 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

POPULAR

Burrows-Santorelli-Higgins looked deadly last night

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#4 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Can you imagine if Grabner-Kesler-Raymond wasn't broken up?

Two of those lines would just absolutely dominate.

But alas, it is time to move on.

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#5 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,361 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

POPULAR

I love that Torts is providing examples that are right there in front of Kass...guys he can watch who'll demonstrate what do do vs trying to "describe" what he should be aiming for. I bet that's key for some guys...establishing a clear path and going for it (vs trying to do all things and be superstars). To focus on how he can contribute vs just trying to contribute.

I have a feeling this work in progress will pan out to be a fairly good thing for us. I already love his enthusiasm for the game...that generally does transfer over better than someone simply wanting to earn the big bucks and be a superstar. Zack appears to be having fun out there and that's important..to play for the love of the game.

Torts is a pretty keen guy who seems to already have a good grasp on how to use his line up. Feeling so optimistic about the whole deal.

Posted Image

#6 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Kassian scoring from the fourth line..
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#7 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Kassian scoring from the fourth line..

thats the biggest change ive noticed in zack this year he is driving the play and he wants the puck last year he was just a passenger.

#8 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I love that Torts is providing examples that are right there in front of Kass...guys he can watch who'll demonstrate what do do vs trying to "describe" what he should be aiming for. I bet that's key for some guys...establishing a clear path and going for it (vs trying to do all things and be superstars). To focus on how he can contribute vs just trying to contribute.

I have a feeling this work in progress will pan out to be a fairly good thing for us. I already love his enthusiasm for the game...that generally does transfer over better than someone simply wanting to earn the big bucks and be a superstar. Zack appears to be having fun out there and that's important..to play for the love of the game.

Torts is a pretty keen guy who seems to already have a good grasp on how to use his line up. Feeling so optimistic about the whole deal.

yup, I agree with everything you've said......

btw, funny how the head tilts the same way in both your avatar pic and the young boy with Pavel

or maybe I'm looking at them with a tilted head :lol:

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#9 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

I was slightly worried about how Higgins would perform under Torts because (according to Rangers fans) he was dreadful in NY.

Silly me. Never doubt the man with the abs.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#10 Webster6

Webster6

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've always loved Torts, and was hoping we'd pick him as coach the second I heard it was a possibility. I can't imagine any other coach in the league I'd rather have

#11 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

thats the biggest change ive noticed in zack this year he is driving the play and he wants the puck last year he was just a passenger.

This is the crux of why Torts hasn't played him with the Sedins, IMO. Zack needs to learn to drive play, and no better way to do it than by producing and creating offense without the Sedins.

#12 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I've always loved Torts, and was hoping we'd pick him as coach the second I heard it was a possibility. I can't imagine any other coach in the league I'd rather have

Scary to think what would be going on under Eakins right now - good call by someone, he doesn't look NHL ready (even considering the roster he has to work with).

#13 BRAVEMAN91

BRAVEMAN91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

I was slightly worried about how Higgins would perform under Torts because (according to Rangers fans) he was dreadful in NY.

Silly me. Never doubt the man with the abs.

True True... I think Higgy is comfortable being apart of this team, with this group of guys. I don't know if that was the case in NY. Alot of pressure playing in front of family and friends.

Higgins is a hard worker, he just needs to be consistent. But other then that, the coach is right Zack should watch Higgins.
Posted Image

Follow Me on Twitter: @braveman91
Checkout my Canuck videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/braveman91

#14 canuckleface77

canuckleface77

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Unbelievably effective. Santorelli's skating really impresses me.

#15 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

No Raymond was invisible in the playoffs glad he's gone.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#16 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Jesus, Torts is simply the man.

#17 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Other than the routinely missing the empty net part, yes.

#18 Drewismyname

Drewismyname

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Something that I have really liked seeing with Kass is how well he speaks in the post game interviews. Gotta give him props. Also agree with the torts sentiment. Great coach. He's exactly what this team needs.

CDCFL - Arizona Coyotes

#19 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,658 posts

It's such a different feeling to hear the same things - or similar things the players do as a fan. I do not miss AV.

This

Torts gives the media what they want. So they don't have to put words in his mouth and speculate about anything. He gives them what the need.

I love statements like this because they give an insight into what he's expecting from different players. And he's spot on. If Kassian could bring a Higgins-like performance on a consistent basis, we'd be in good shape. Hopefully this gives Kassian something to work for. You can tell Torts has a lot of respect for Higgins from their NYR days.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#20 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

No Raymond was invisible in the playoffs glad he's gone.

I thought Raymond was invisible in the TO game as well, but there was no denying that the Grabner-Kesler-Raymond line was just a freakishly fast line.

The game is results-oriented though.

Raymond's good at the other stuff but he was paid too much at 2.5 mill for someone who disappears as frequently as he does.

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#21 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

POPULAR

I am pleased with the detail the coach lays out in the post game interviews. I think I have watched more coach interviews this year than AV's entire coaching career in Vancouver.

#22 PhillipBlunt

PhillipBlunt

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Tortorella once again proves why he is the right coach for the Canucks. Kassian is coming along fine. He was vital to the game yesterday. He is willing to stand up to anyone and still has talent to burn. The Canucks last night showed that they have the grit to compete along with unfathomable skill and fortitude.

m73msy.jpg

Thanks to Vintage Canuck

#23 Blue & Green

Blue & Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

The line looked great, 3 guys that really know how to play the aggressive Tort's fore-check.

Tort's with another outstanding message. Not only does it clearly explain what Tort's wants out of Kassain, it let's Higgins know that he is doing it right and leading by example.

The clarity and directness of this coach is so refreshing!

#24 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Tortorella once again proves why he is the right coach for the Canucks. Kassian is coming along fine. He was vital to the game yesterday. He is willing to stand up to anyone and still has talent to burn. The Canucks last night showed that they have the grit to compete along with unfathomable skill and fortitude.

I loved the way he was in Phaneuf's grill every chance he could get. Awesome.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#25 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

kassian is in good hands with coach torts unlike under vigneault whom had no patience with him, one little miscue and whammo on the bench or 4'th line minutes...i see progress in his game because he is getting the minutes and building his confidence and i might mention sestito looks better under totrts too, with limited minutes he has a presence and showed up well last night against the brawny leafs...

#26 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

B)In the GDT before the game I commented that Kass has improved a lot this year, but needed to play the game harder and with more intensity. I noted watching him play with Higgins and watching Higgins go head first into a board battle, while Kass hung out just behind the battle waiting with his stick on the ice hoping for the puck to pop out. For all his skills, he has soft hands and surprising talents for a big guy; he was not going to impact as much as he can unless he dove into parts of the game that put him where he can help more. I noted he had great examples of how to play the game hard, playing the boards, winning battles, fighting for position in front of the net, fore checking... On his own team he could follow the lead of these guys who impact as much or more on work rate as talent: Hansen, Santo, Burrows, Higgins. I asked the question when has Kass dominated or impacted a game physically this year?

:rolleyes: Then there I was in the PGT commenting on how Kass made me look stupid, crediting him with a well played game and helping the team win. On his goal he made a hit, went to the front of the net after digging out the puck, and scored. Almost everything you want in one shift, but was involved all game. He did help the game in other ways. He was involved with McLaren, Phaneuf, Clarkson and others in the game, looks like he lost part of another tooth drawing the double minor. Kass, Sestito, Bieksa, Burrows, Stanton, even Archibald all put up just the right front to neutralize a clear attempt to intimidate our team. It helped us win, and we will need that part of Kassians game in a big way in the play-offs as well.

Course it has a touch more credibility when Torts says it... :bigblush:

#27 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,152 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Another guy who deserves credit in a big way is Stanton!

For all our talent on D, only Bieksa amongst our D is a stand up for the team kind of guy historically. And he's barely 200 lbs. For years no one other than him on the ice did any more than clutch and hold on from our back end when teams came to intimidate.

There was Stanton, staring down and making it clear to Phaneuf he could drop the gloves and it would be welcome. He locked horns, held his own and pushed him away from more than one scrum, also stuck his nose into conversations with Clarkson and McLaren during scrums. When was the last time we had that on D?

The team is standing up for each other. Lord knows it helped, how many boarding penalties or cheap elbows did TO try to throw? Orr and Clarkson reckoned because Burrows, at 185 lbs, goaded Kessell into a fight that gave them free reign to go after the Twins. Guys like Burrows have always been willing, but its been years since we had enough "bodies" suited to this type of game.

Thats why when Kesler or Burrows yapped, or took a dive, we got a bad rap. We were not prepared to fight our own battles, wanted the ref's to do it for us. Wow, a stand up game! I'm so very pumped!

#28 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

If Kassian develops a work ethic similar to Higgins, I think he'll become a very good top 6 player for us. Torts can make it happen.

Edited by Pineapples, 03 November 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#29 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

We didn't need a 4mill, 'entitled' headache, to try & fit to our roster. We needed a big, burly, tough kid that wants to grow into a big time player(THEN get decent pay)..Even if it takes him 3~4 years, I think Kassian will be patient, just try to be one of the team.

#30 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

Graber and Raymond have zero grit. Our 2nd line is fast, gritty and skilled.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.