The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators may be interested in Canucks' Yannick Weber

Yannick Weber improves their D? Man they must be struggling.

I wonder if Gillis is dangling Weber cause he wants to bring up Corrado.

Same with JML if that's who they're looking at. They're 12th in the league in goals for per game, but 27th in goals against. I don't see them having a lot of interest in an offensive D-man but rather a stay at home, physical guy.

And I'm not sure where Gillis would play Corrado if he brought him up. It wouldn't make sense to have him sitting in the press box, certainly. Now if Gillis was looking at trading Tanev for a better return then he'd have room for Corrado, but I don't see that unless it is something where we get back significant value in comparison.

It would make absolutely 0 sense for Ottawa to trade for Weber since they could've gotten him for free in the summer..

Things change. Since they are so bad at keeping goals out of their own net - especially considering they have Anderson and Lehner as their goalies - then they'll have to do something since it's not lack of offence that's causing them to lose games.

Ottawa media is reporting that if the Senators fail to improve over the next few games, they will try to acquire defensive help. Names that the Sens are believed to be interested in include Hal Gill, JM Liles & Yannick Weber.

It's believed Murray has held talks with a couple of teams to try to make an upgrade and it's believed he'll try to shore up back end if the Senators don't have success against the Dallas Stars Sunday at home and the Blue Jackets Tuesday in Columbus.

If that's the case, the Senators could be ready to move a blueliner to try to upgrade because three times this season the club has given up 50-plus shots _ including a club record 57 in a 5-4 shootout loss to the Islanders Friday.

The issue for Murray will be finding something better. The list of blueliners available isn't pretty: Hal Gill (Philly), John-Michael Liles (Toronto),
Yannick Weber (Vancouver)
, Alec Martinez (Los Angeles) and Tom Gilbert (Florida).

http://www.ottawasun...nce-on-thin-ice

The article talks about the Sens giving up too much defensively, and then proceeds to list defensive liabilities. Weber doesn't make any sense - Alberts addresses their needs more (but not outstandingly).

Alberts for a depth pick?

They've made some errors. And they've headed into the season massively overrated imho. Too much weight was put into Spezza and Karlsson coming back. Yes, both are crafty offensive wizards, but neither are defensive stallions. So all that would change is the increase in numbers, for and against. That doesn't translate into wins.

They've made some meh deals too. Ryan cost a lot, but he's performing well, so meh.

Conacher for Bishop was fine at the time, but they've made Conacher redundant by signing MacArthur while not realizing that Anderson is a career backup who had just peaked. And now he's out on a neck injury. Freak injury, but they ultimately should've kept Bishop, who's at 9w 2L and .925sv% in TB. Conacher has 3pts.

Last season they succeeded with goaltending, this season they may fail by it.

A depth-level defenseman won't help them at all.

And I'm not sure where Gillis would play Corrado if he brought him up. It wouldn't make sense to have him sitting in the press box, certainly. Now if Gillis was looking at trading Tanev for a better return then he'd have room for Corrado, but I don't see that unless it is something where we get back significant value in comparison.

Agreed.

Coming into this season trading Tanev seemed like a possibility to me. But so far he's been absolute money. Hamhuis and him are turning into a monster shutdown pairing. I see him as nearly untouchable (barring a crazy offer).

Yes I would be quite happy taking back a bad contract if we could lose Booth and gain Pageau

Do they have any bad contracts though? Not that I can see, since the higher contracts they do have are for players who are contributing.

How many contracts are we at currently? Where there is smoke.....

Source: http://www.uticacome...-comets-roster/

PTOs don't count for anything and they'll likely be signed by the Comets if they do stick, but if a trade happens to move someone then maybe they look at Huskins as better depth. Then again, why wouldn't Ottawa just sign someone like Huskins without giving up assets if they want to improve their defence rather than trade for someone like Weber?

Huskins did play 19 NHL games last year, but wasn't that inspiring with only one assist and 18 hits while being a -3. He's been a steady guy in the past but is declining.

Agreed.

Coming into this season trading Tanev seemed like a possibility to me. But so far he's been absolute money. Hamhuis and him are turning into a monster shutdown pairing. I see him as nearly untouchable (barring a crazy offer).

Maybe that happens from a team really in trouble, but I don't see Ottawa wanting to offer Zibanejad for Tanev to convince us.

Why Weber? He's not exactly a shut down d-man he's just filler on our fourth line playing 3 some odd minutes a game. If anything it's Tanev or Alberts (lol) they want. They give up the most shots against, Weber is not the thing they need.

If they seriously want Weber lets get a 4th, or 3rd if they're crazy desperate, back. But I doubt anything happens they can get a better d-man elsewhere.

Yeah, you were talking about O'Brien in the summer weren't you, or last season? What's the deal with him - just looked him up, he's a former first round pick but he shows up at the bottom of the Sens C depth chart and he's making less than Weber. I guess they are both similar age and cap hit, so it could work if they're both redundant on their current teams.

Realistically though I agree with Ossi, wouldn't expect much more than a 3rd/4th. Such a random rumour in any case.

When O'Brien was waived earlier, and cleared, I was suggesting picking him up.

He's a fairly physical, solid defensively, C/W that can win draws. He became redundant in Ottawa due to their depth.

This may make more sense for the Csnucks now that they could shed a contract to gain one. We certainly need a forward more than a depth d-man right now.

A 4th line of Archibald-Welsh-O'Brien could be solid for us until we get healthy. Big bodies, some scoring and decent defensively.

Everyone is saying trade Tanev to make room for Corrado...Why not dangle Corrado in a trade? Tanev is looking great this yer and unless we get an offer we can't refuse then we have to keep him. corrado has value considering his performance in last years playoffs. He could probably get us a solid player in return.

I'm not convinced Weber is expendable. While our top 6 is set, we do need depth in case a couple of guys get hurt (which, historically, is pretty likely). The only way I can see us giving up Weber is if someone on the Comets besides Corrado is ready to fill in for a few games.

Everyone is saying trade Tanev to make room for Corrado...Why not dangle Corrado in a trade? Tanev is looking great this yer and unless we get an offer we can't refuse then we have to keep him. corrado has value considering his performance in last years playoffs. He could probably get us a solid player in return.

Because Corrado is the future of our blue line, carries little to no cap hit and we have to deal with Bieksa and Hamhuis' contracts later in the next season or two.

Corrado is not a trade option as it stands both in the event of injury and contract issues in the future, not to mention trade

Tanev is a lot more proven than corrado. It's like the value of Schneider in 09 vs the draft day.

I'm not convinced Weber is expendable. While our top 6 is set, we do need depth in case a couple of guys get hurt (which, historically, is pretty likely). The only way I can see us giving up Weber is if someone on the Comets besides Corrado is ready to fill in for a few games.

Well, even without Weber we'd have 7 D on the team currently. First call up is Corrado, but there's also Andersson and Tommernes, which gives us 10 D at a minimum replacement level or better when we only need 6 on the game roster. Then we have others like Sauve and Mullen, and maybe even Huskins who just signed a PTO with us to play on the Wolves.

I think we're fairly well covered if we do move one depth defenceman.

Let's bring another B.C. Boy in.

Turris

OTT

Booth

Weber

Alberts

VAN

Turris

Ottawa sits there in stunned silence before being overcome by laughter and hanging up the phone.

Archived