The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth recalled from Utica [Archibald to Utica]

Time to temper expectations about Booth? One can only really hope that he breaks his leg, is out for the year and Nucks get cap relief to add another body with a big contract.

At the end of the day, if Booth can just bring a bit of a physical element, he can keep up easily with the best players in the game skating wise and henceforth shadow other teams best players, that will be what we should expect.

Temper the expectation of goal scoring. Use him as a big, fast shutdown guy and maybe we can be happy with him. Too much cap-hit for that type of player, yes. But expecting goals is a fools game at this point.

A Kassian - Schroeder - Booth line can be a balanced group, fast, banging down the wings and help to insulate Shroeder from being absolutely owned along the boards.

Time to temper expectations about Booth? One can only really hope that he breaks his leg, is out for the year and Nucks get cap relief to add another body with a big contract.

come on man why do you have to say things like that. you hope he has a serious injury really? for a game?

I'll give Booth a pass for now, he's spent a lot of time injured. I'd rather re-evaluate after Christmas.

Archibald did himself proud during his call up, and has given us another depth option for the season. He still needs some work, but hopefully he can take what he learned with the big club and translate that into a bigger role in Utica.

To me, Archibald's is a feel good story. He started his pro career with the Wolves and was rather ineffective, didn't seem ready for the pace of the AHL. I remember more than a few people writing him off when he went down to the K-Wings, but he played solid down there and returned to the Wolves the following year and played well. I always felt he was more of a role player with the Wolves in his second year, more of a stand in front of the net guy than someone scoring because of skill. This year, I would like to see him be more of a core player for Utica, adding a bit of skill to his physicality in order to produce, and doing more of the little things like cycling and being positionally sound without the puck. I think his time in the NHL will help, he got to focus on defense in his time here, plus the pace of the NHL will help the AHL feel 'slower' which may open up more offensive opportunities for him.

Archie certainly is physical, he just needs more time to get comfortable with a faster paced game, and needs to develop his two way play a bit more, but I see the potential is there for a decent bottom 6 NHL player.

1 assist in 3 games.... Yuck. Not when you are an NHL caliber player playing in the AHL. Didn't Rome score 6 goals in a conditioning stint with the moose a couple years back?

He played with a better AHL team then booth is although wanted him to do more the comets coach being happy with booth tells a lot about how he's playing. Thats the news I was looking for rather then him having like a bunch of set up goals. Tells me he's playing the way we want him too.

Sometimes you have to look past the score sheet. It is disappointing that he wasn't able to produce more in the AHL but from all the articles I've read, Booth was pretty prominent out there (along with Jensen).

I'm really hoping Booth regains his wheels again as his speed is his one of his major assets and is something that he has missed this season.

Yup, I was hearing that from notes on the games and highlights. Booth appeared to be involved in generating chances and seemed to end up with the puck on his stick in good situations, but didn't convert that much. If he plays similar to that chances will turn to points even in the NHL and if nothing else he'll be effective in creating space, forechecking and being physical.

Speed hasn't been an issue with him I don't think, so long as he's healthy. If he can use that to generate some offence rather than just be all over the ice then he might have a chance.

Guessing he will play with Richardson and Kassian

That'd be my guess as well. Keep the top 6 together as is. If there are issues, then maybe someone moves up, but I don't see Booth jumping into regular top 6 minutes just yet.

I don't think this was the right move. Let Booth clear waivers, it's not like anyone will pick him up, and let Archie stick around for a while, he is a piece to the puzzle that no one else on our roster can be.

So you're saying Archibald is better than Booth, even when ignoring cap hit?

Knock Booth for his lack of production or injury history if you want, but when he's playing he's at least effective at getting around the ice and generating chances. Archibald certainly got around the ice himself, and got a few chances as well, but Booth is able to do that in more significant minutes than Archibald. If offence comes for Booth, it'll be more than Archibald can provide at this point.

I'll give Booth a pass for now, he's spent a lot of time injured. I'd rather re-evaluate after Christmas.

Archibald did himself proud during his call up, and has given us another depth option for the season. He still needs some work, but hopefully he can take what he learned with the big club and translate that into a bigger role in Utica.

To me, Archibald's is a feel good story. He started his pro career with the Wolves and was rather ineffective, didn't seem ready for the pace of the AHL. I remember more than a few people writing him off when he went down to the K-Wings, but he played solid down there and returned to the Wolves the following year and played well. I always felt he was more of a role player with the Wolves in his second year, more of a stand in front of the net guy than someone scoring because of skill. This year, I would like to see him be more of a core player for Utica, adding a bit of skill to his physicality in order to produce, and doing more of the little things like cycling and being positionally sound without the puck. I think his time in the NHL will help, he got to focus on defense in his time here, plus the pace of the NHL will help the AHL feel 'slower' which may open up more offensive opportunities for him.

Archie certainly is physical, he just needs more time to get comfortable with a faster paced game, and needs to develop his two way play a bit more, but I see the potential is there for a decent bottom 6 NHL player.

The choice was never between Archie and Booth. It will be between Booth and Hanson. Booth has a small window to show something and then Gillis will have to decide what to do. He does well then he can keep him or move him or waive him back to the AHL. I agree that Archibald impressed me in his time but he does need more minutes. He must have brass re-evaluating his potential upward.

Yup, I was hearing that from notes on the games and highlights. Booth appeared to be involved in generating chances and seemed to end up with the puck on his stick in good situations, but didn't convert that much. If he plays similar to that chances will turn to points even in the NHL and if nothing else he'll be effective in creating space, forechecking and being physical.

Speed hasn't been an issue with him I don't think, so long as he's healthy. If he can use that to generate some offence rather than just be all over the ice then he might have a chance.

Yep I 100% agree with you. If he continues to create chances, the points will come.

Also, Booth hasn't been slow by any means, he's still a quick skater. But he seemed noticeably slower than last year in the few games before he got injured again. I'm hoping he regains his wheels from the first year he was with us/last year.

The choice was never between Archie and Booth. It will be between Booth and Hanson. Booth has a small window to show something and then Gillis will have to decide what to do. He does well then he can keep him or move him or waive him back to the AHL. I agree that Archibald impressed me in his time but he does need more minutes. He must have brass re-evaluating his potential upward.

Sounds like your hoping for him to score a load of goals in his first few games after the call up or else trade him. Well guess what there is a low chance of that happening. If it will ever happen it should happen after 5-6 games once he readjusts to playing at NHL level and forms chemistry with his line mates. If nothing happens after 10 games(0 points) then yeah trade him.

Archived