The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

I'm liking knob creek far less these days Finding bourbon in general is too damn sweet for anything other than mixing.

I know exactly what you mean, Bourbon is very sweet, compared to my favourite Scotch whiskey. I simply found a way to enjoy the charred wood flavour, the caramel and spiciness, because I can justify spending money on 3 bottles of Bourbon easier than one bottle of my favourite Scotch.

Price point forced me to appreciate and accept Bourbon into my life. I'm a Bourbon Again.

I certainly still drink Scotch, just way less than I would like.

I love all whiskeys, however i am typically partial to the single malt scotch variety. Right now i am working my way through these bottles:

Laphroaig+Triple+Wood.jpg

Macallan_sienna.jpg

bruichladdich-black-art-3-1989-22-yo-islay-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl.jpg

I really want to try the Balcones Single malt from Texas. Its impossible to find though. Those texans keep winning blind taste tests.

My advice to ANYONE interested in whisky, or learning. Find a tasting and GO. Its a great time if done right, Not nearly as pretentious as wine tasting. Whiskey is the elixir of everyman. If you can't find a tasting, find a liquor store with a good selection and ask them if they know of a tasting, especially an introductory one. If not, join a club, or when going through a selection in a store ask the old guys that are there. Tell them you are new and want to learn.

number one rule of scotch. Don't get drunk.

number two rule of scotch, there are no bad ones, just some are better than others.

I love all whiskeys, however i am typically partial to the single malt scotch variety. Right now i am working my way through these bottles:

I really want to try the Balcones Single malt from Texas. Its impossible to find though. Those texans keep winning blind taste tests.

Wait a minute, Texan Scotch? I never even...

I need to hit the internet up on a research mission, with a dram of course.

My advice to ANYONE interested in whisky, or learning. Find a tasting and GO. Its a great time if done right, Not nearly as pretentious as wine tasting. Whiskey is the elixir of everyman. If you can't find a tasting, find a liquor store with a good selection and ask them if they know of a tasting, especially an introductory one. If not, join a club, or when going through a selection in a store ask the old guys that are there. Tell them you are new and want to learn.

number one rule of scotch. Don't get drunk.

number two rule of scotch, there are no bad ones, just some are better than others.

Don't get drunk? Yeah right, buddy.

Love Laphroaig. Haven't had the other specific 2 brands of Macallan and Bruichladdich, I really want to try the Bruich at 22 years, seems like a gem.

Macallan 12 is reportedly unavailable from the distillery anymore, so if anyone likes it, buy it if you see it before it is gone.

WTF? Not sure why they'd discontinue their signature dram.

Balcones is a distillery in Waco I think. They are winning everything. Can't find it in Canada though.

Macallan is moving away from age marketing and now marketing color essentially. The Sienna is my fav. About $150 bottle.

I say don't get drunk, and I mean don't get passed out puking drunk. You'll lose your gusto for it. Just like me and Vodka. By all means get tipsy, get over the limit, but don't go to far if you want to keep it a hobby.

I am by no means a conosieur, but I'm well on my way and have personally bought over 25 bottles and samples over 50 probably. I am only 29 as well. I have started a collection of bottles that I won't touch until the right time either.

I'm part of a club that buys only the best top shelf liquor, great investment for me. I can try them all and if they don't have what I want I can request it.

I have not seen that Macallan before...very interesting. What's a bottle worth?

Technically not scotch as scotch is whiskey specifically from Scotland fwiw ;)

Totally right. I wouldn't normally slip like that, thanks for pointing it out. A moderately delicious single malt on me for catching that!

I'll amend here to "Texan whisky? I never even..."

WTF? Not sure why they'd discontinue their signature dram.

I know, I have heard it from a few friends, and 2 liquor store managers.

Sorry guys, can't be bothered to post the whole article right now, but for those interested in what the deal is... clicky.

Balcones is a distillery in Waco I think. They are winning everything. Can't find it in Canada though.

Macallan is moving away from age marketing and now marketing color essentially. The Sienna is my fav. About $150 bottle.

I say don't get drunk, and I mean don't get passed out puking drunk. You'll lose your gusto for it. Just like me and Vodka. By all means get tipsy, get over the limit, but don't go to far if you want to keep it a hobby.

I am by no means a conosieur, but I'm well on my way and have personally bought over 25 bottles and samples over 50 probably. I am only 29 as well. I have started a collection of bottles that I won't touch until the right time either.

I'm part of a club that buys only the best top shelf liquor, great investment for me. I can try them all and if they don't have what I want I can request it.

Beat me to it by 7.3 seconds!

I'm confused as to what you mean by the second bolded part, you do realize that Whisky does not perform like wine when cellared right? All of the maturation comes from casking. The natural oxidation and chemical reactions occurring as the whisky remains in contact with the wood is what smoothes out the booze and creates a finer product. That, and having a good product enter the barrels in the first place. ;) Very little to nothing happens in a bottle.

Is your club the Scotch Malt Whisky Society perhaps?

Edited by Green Building

Oh I know it doesn't age further. I mean rarity. Some fun ones, some not available anymore. I bought a JW Gold when I was 21, said i wouldn't open it until the Canucks win the cup. Now they aren't going to continue production, I also have moved on from Blends so I don't know what I'll do with it.

I bought a fun one last year: the Ardbeg Galileo http://www.thewhiskybarrel.com/ardbeg-galileo-whiskey-scotland

Very cool bottling and marketing. Neat idea, limited run. I've got a few more I won't uncork, unless it's a special occasion.

I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta. I am a member of The Cypress Club. It's 112 years old. Very cool place.

Edited by BabychStache

Oh yeah, totally agreed. You can't really differentiate flavour profiles when you're completely hammered, either.

Oh I know it doesn't age further. I mean rarity. Some fun ones, some not available anymore. I bought a JW Gold when I was 21, said i wouldn't open it until the Canucks win the cup. Now they aren't going to continue production, I also have moved on from Blends so I don't know what I'll do with it.

I bought a fun one last year: the Ardbeg Galileo http://www.thewhisky...hiskey-scotland

Very cool bottling and marketing. Neat idea, limited run. I've got a few more I won't uncork, unless it's a special occasion.

I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta. I am a member of The Cypress Club. It's 112 years old. Very cool place.

Gotcha, I figured as much, just couldn't resist the urge to spew a factoid. JW Gold might just get JW Old. Hey-O! Alright, I'm done.

I respect your willpower. I have 8 bottles in my collection. All open, but not all open recently. I make 'em last. I can't hold on to them uncorked for too long, they simply must be enjoyed. Maybe one day I will learn your ways. Until then, here come another Oban!

I'll have to check out that club, sounds like a good thing for you. The Scotch Malt Whisky Society is badass. Memberships available in most major cities, and when you go travelling you can sit in on their local tastings. All they do is drink the rare Scotch that cannot be purchased by any other mean than through them, in Canada anyways. Some are hits, some are misses, all are Scotch. Eight 1/4 oz tastes a tasting, and more if you ask for a refill. Buy what you enjoy, or buy nothing. Either way, you win.