The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

I sprang for a bottle of Booker's True Barrel Bourbon tonight. This is Beam Co.'s most radical offering and named after Beam Co. master distiller of 40+ years, Booker Noe. Booker's is a cask strength, unfiltered bourbon meaning that it is bottled straight from the cask without any dilution or charcoal filtering, as is standard with bourbon. Booker's has a strong alcohol punch, but there is also some serious complexity to this bourbon that weaker bourbon's do not present because of they have been diluted before bottling. Pretty amazing to think that regular 'ole Beam White Label juice can be this good given 8 years in a barrel, no dilution, and no filtering. This may be the best bourbon I've ever had, then again I haven't tried any of the cask strength offerings by Buffalo Trace Distillery or Heaven Hill Distillery, both of which make a better average product than Beam, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently sipping some Buffalo Trace Mash Bill #1 White Dog. Interesting stuff. It's bottled at 125 proof and unaged and unfiltered. There's a surprising amount of flavor in there for it being such a raw whiskey. It's definitely not something I'd drink daily, but if you have a few buddies who also enjoy whiskey, it would make for a great thought experiment.

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this one, stronger taste than Wisers, and somewhat rougher, not really an after dinner drink, more like Cowboy whiskey

ha. That's ok, I just checked back today.

I think I will give it a shot next time I buy rye.

I'm not a huge whiskey connoisseur but I do like Forty Creek for a basic rye (I do prefer it with rootbeer) and Bushmills Black Bush for Irish whiskey. I'm not sure about scotch- I've had JW red label didn't like it.

ha. That's ok, I just checked back today.

I think I will give it a shot next time I buy rye.

I'm not a huge whiskey connoisseur but I do like Forty Creek for a basic rye (I do prefer it with rootbeer) and Bushmills Black Bush for Irish whiskey. I'm not sure about scotch- I've had JW red label didn't like it.

Scotch is kind of an acquired taste, one that I feel I will never acquire, Gin is another acquired taste, I have acquired a taste for Gin Rickey's

Edited by Wolfman Jack

Guest Gumballthechewy

I saw a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 in my liquor store, is it any good? It looked good, I was going to buy it but it's freakin' expensive so I don't want to unless it's good.

Scotch is kind of an acquired taste, one that I feel I will never acquire, Gin is another acquired taste, I have acquired a taste for Gin Rickey's

hahaha

I know Gin is an acquired taste; in university a friend and I made Gin-Jello, we used Gin for the cold water part of the recipe and none of the guys would go near it. lol. It was bombay saphire.

For Scotch I don't think it would go well with Jello so I'll leave it, at least until my tastes mature, which could be a very long time.

Just picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker Black label. Hope it's going to be as good as I remember from last time.

It's a favorite of mine. Good stuff even though I prefer the Islay single malts nowadays

Anyone care to recommend some good Irish whiskey?

Looking for something new to drink

90% of Irish whiskey is tamed down from what it should be. Tullamore Dew, Powers, Pffafly...they're all about the same. Pick one and try it.

hahaha

I know Gin is an acquired taste; in university a friend and I made Gin-Jello, we used Gin for the cold water part of the recipe and none of the guys would go near it. lol. It was bombay saphire.

For Scotch I don't think it would go well with Jello so I'll leave it, at least until my tastes mature, which could be a very long time.

So I take it you're a youngin. Do not do a disservice scotch by putting with jello. FFS man, even cheap scotch does not deserve a death in jello.

• Upvote 2

It's a favorite of mine. Good stuff even though I prefer the Islay single malts nowadays

90% of Irish whiskey is tamed down from what it should be. Tullamore Dew, Powers, Pffafly...they're all about the same. Pick one and try it.

So I take it you're a youngin. Do not do a disservice scotch by putting with jello. FFS man, even cheap scotch does not deserve a death in jello.

JW Black is a respectable blend. Lots of Talisker and Caol Ila gives it a solid amount of peat compared to others. I'm a Redbreast fan (which is NOT tamed down), but Writers Tears has gotten good reviews (although PPCLI's one of the people giving it the good reviews). I really want to try the Connemara peated malt; it's probably going to be my next purchase. Really wish we had easy access to Green/Yellow Spot in BC, as both sound excellent.

Edited by King Heffy

JW Black is a respectable blend. Lots of Talisker and Caol Ila gives it a solid amount of peat compared to others. I'm a Redbreast fan (which is NOT tamed down), but Writers Tears has gotten good reviews (although PPCLI's one of the people giving it the good reviews). I really want to try the Connemara peated malt; it's probably going to be my next purchase. Really wish we had easy access to Green/Yellow Spot in BC, as both sound excellent.

Yup it is one of the best I've tried that's available in NA it's got great flavor without a huge kick. Seriously if you haven't tried it try it.

I should have clarified I really enjoy my Irish whiskey Tullmore Dew, Writers Tears , Kilbeggan and Knappoogue Castle are my favorites. I'm looking for a stronger not tamed down at all Irish whiskey.

• Upvote 1

I've had the Connemara peated malt. Very good.

:lol:

the Gin-Jello was when I was 19. I don't do that anymore.

I can drink Bushmills Black Bush on the rocks but JW red label just seemed too much alcohol smell for me to even atempt to drink it without some kind of mix.