The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

Assuming you have tried both Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask how do you compare the Cairdeas against those?

For someone who likes smoky and peaty whisky I have yet to buy a bottle of QC, and my last bottle of 10 was almost 2 years ago now as I have been on the Ardbeg train, but I can tell you that Cairdeas is very much a flavour of Laphroaig. The smoky resins lingered on my palette for over 20 minutes after my quick taste. I can't rightly say whether or not the Amontillado aging adds much sherry depth, certainly won't add much sweetness as Amontillado sherry is dry, so the results may just be for colour and some residual wood flavour perhaps?

If you like the others, and I suspect that you do, then you'll definitely like this one. Don't be fooled by the liquor store spirit guide that failed to mention peaty and smoky as part of their flavour profile, it's a Laphroaig alright, in fact I may have a small sample tonight now that I'm thinking about it so positively.

My jealousy is at an all time high

I like having a variety of whiskies around, I didn't even hesitate to open up all of the bottles and do a tasting flight when I got home. It's just too much fun to not do.

I'm not the best reviewer, but I'll give it a shot based on my first glass:

Nose- dominated by candied cherries, vanilla, a little cinnamon. I get a very faint hint of glue, but in a good way and not at all a prominent note.

Palatte - lots of baking spices immediately kicking in, along with plenty of oak. The cherries are still there, but now taste more like they're straight from the tree. A generous helping of caramel helps round this out.

Finish - The oak makes its presence felt, accompanied with a little nutmeg as well as the caramel sweetness.

That sounds pretty good, I almost grabbed the one 12 year that was left, but admitted that I was getting carried away and left with the 10 year. I think the 10 is delicious, I'm sure your notes are accurate and that it's an outstanding bourbon. This is my first bottle of Pappy, it certainly won't be the last.

For someone who likes smoky and peaty whisky I have yet to buy a bottle of QC, and my last bottle of 10 was almost 2 years ago now as I have been on the Ardbeg train, but I can tell you that Cairdeas is very much a flavour of Laphroaig. The smoky resins lingered on my palette for over 20 minutes after my quick taste. I can't rightly say whether or not the Amontillado aging adds much sherry depth, certainly won't add much sweetness as Amontillado sherry is dry, so the results may just be for colour and some residual wood flavour perhaps?

If you like the others, and I suspect that you do, then you'll definitely like this one. Don't be fooled by the liquor store spirit guide that failed to mention peaty and smoky as part of their flavour profile, it's a Laphroaig alright, in fact I may have a small sample tonight now that I'm thinking about it so positively.

I like having a variety of whiskies around, I didn't even hesitate to open up all of the bottles and do a tasting flight when I got home. It's just too much fun to not do.

That sounds pretty good, I almost grabbed the one 12 year that was left, but admitted that I was getting carried away and left with the 10 year. I think the 10 is delicious, I'm sure your notes are accurate and that it's an outstanding bourbon. This is my first bottle of Pappy, it certainly won't be the last.

Have you tried the QC? It is very good and one of the best bang for bucks as far as quality Scotch goes. I love Pappy 10 as well, I think I'll grab a bottle soon.

Have you tried the QC? It is very good and one of the best bang for bucks as far as quality Scotch goes. I love Pappy 10 as well, I think I'll grab a bottle soon.

I don't think I have. I certainly haven't purchased a bottle other than the 10, and recently the Cairdeas. I'm typically an Ardbeg guy, but just decided to change it up.

I can't see how there would be much difference between the 10 and the QC other than the QC maybe being slightly rougher around the edges? Care to elaborate?

Edited by Green Building

I don't think I have. I certainly haven't purchased a bottle other than the 10, and recently the Cairdeas. I'm typically an Ardbeg guy, but just decided to change it up.

I can't see how there would be much difference between the 10 and the QC other than the QC maybe being slightly rougher around the edges? Care to elaborate?

I too am more of an Ardbeg guy but Quarter Cask is one of my favs, as well as Laphroaig 10. I like the Quarter Cask slightly more as it tastes a bit more peaty and the finish lingers longer. It's suprisingly smooth considering it's aged I think only 7 or 8 years as opposed to 10. It's on sale for $15 (currently $71) cheaper than the 10 year right now at the BC Liquor stores...hmmm I am tempted.

Managed to pick up both the Cairdeas and the Clynelish 14. Will be checking out both tonight during the game. Whiskyfest ticket acquired; all the masterclasses I was interested in were sold out by the time my number was called, so I'll be rocking the VIP tasting.

Edited by King Heffy

Managed to pick up both the Cairdeas and the Clynelish 14. Will be checking out both tonight during the game. Whiskyfest ticket acquired; all the masterclasses I was interested in were sold out by the time my number was called, so I'll be rocking the VIP tasting.

Awesome. My buddies waited in line at 3am and grabbed us 4 consumer tasting tickets, they were 34th and 35th in line. Wanted to get the Kavalan masterclass but there was only 3 left so they grabbed the SMWS masterclass. So stoked about this festival.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in Victoria know if/where in Vic do they sell the Yamazaki 12? It's not at the Strath which has the most ecclectic selection so I'm not too optimistic.

The government liquor store in Broadmead is usually a good place to look. I've found lots of stuff that wasn't available according to the official website there, all of it excellent.

Thought I'd share...

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/stunning-photos-dried-whisky

December 1, 2014 | by Justine Alford

The-Macallan-150.jpg?itok=edwJHlpwphoto credit: Ernie Button, "The Macallen 150"

We’ve seen some truly stunning photos of alcohol up close before, but these images are truly something else.

American photographer and artist Ernie Button has been creating artwork by snapping photos of dried up whisky at the bottom of a glass. The amazing patterns we see result from both the composition of the whisky and fluid dynamics. As the whisky begins to evaporate, the ethanol concentration increases, which in turn increases the mobility of the receding contact line. As the contact line recedes, groups of particles from the preparation process are drawn along with it that are then deposited in radial patterns. And the result is pretty amazing.

OXxP2Zg.jpg

Glenlivet

Xv5V4yi.jpg

Bruichladdich

F2yYUvq.jpg

Glengoyne

You can find more images on his website.

mmm..Glengoyne...

Edited by ckamo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the Victoria Whisky festival last weekend, wow was that great. Well worth the $120 with all you drink and eat, and the food was great too. Went to the SMWS Masterclass beforehand and that was great. Some of the stand out whiskies I tried were

Nikka pure malt black

Bunnahabhain 18

Forty Creek - Double Barrel Reserve, Confederation Oak Reserve and Evolution. The master distiller at Forty Creek John Hall was actually the one pouring my tastings which was cool, nice guy.

Macallan 18

Macallan Ruby

Teeling Single Malt

Wisers Red Letter

Bib and Tucker Small Batch Bourbon

Glenfiddich 18

Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix

Tomatin Cu Bocan

Victoria Spirits new whisky

Auchentoshan three wood

Kavalan Solist (sherry cask and bourbon cask)

Im missing some, i'll add as I start remembering them.

• Like 1

Some of my favourites from the Whisky Festival:

Glenfarclas 15

Longrow 11 Port cask

Linkwood 16 (Wemyss Malts)

Penderyn Madeira cask

Kavalan Soloist Bourbon and Sherry cask

Nikka pure malt White

Hazelburn 10

Bunnahabain 12, 18, 25

Tullibardine 25

Octomore

Kilchoman Machir Bay

Compass Box Hedonism

Ballechin Sauternes cask

Bought both the Glenfarclas 15 and the Penderyn, with the Ballechin on special order, and will probably also be buying one of the Kavalan Soloists. Would love to find the Octomore or Nikka White.

Some dissappointments:

Talisker Storm - Good, but tamer than the 10

HP 18. It's good, but I don't think it lived up to the hype it gets.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Just didn't taste right to me. For me, the sweetness of the Sauternes finish NEEDED the peat that was in the Ballechin.

Some of my favourites from the Whisky Festival:

Glenfarclas 15

Longrow 11 Port cask

Linkwood 16 (Wemyss Malts)

Penderyn Madeira cask

Kavalan Soloist Bourbon and Sherry cask

Nikka pure malt White

Hazelburn 10

Bunnahabain 12, 18, 25

Tullibardine 25

Octomore

Kilchoman Machir Bay

Compass Box Hedonism

Ballechin Sauternes cask

Bought both the Glenfarclas 15 and the Penderyn, with the Ballechin on special order, and will probably also be buying one of the Kavalan Soloists. Would love to find the Octomore or Nikka White.

Some dissappointments:

Talisker Storm - Good, but tamer than the 10

HP 18. It's good, but I don't think it lived up to the hype it gets.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'or. Just didn't taste right to me. For me, the sweetness of the Sauternes finish NEEDED the peat that was in the Ballechin.

My buddy bought the Kavalan Solist Bourbon Cask because he could not find the Sherry Cask at the time and it was so good. Tried the Sherry Cask at the Festival, tough to choose, I'm really into bourbons right now but i've always like whiskies matured in sherry casks.

a2zw8w.jpg

The best thing about hosting a whisky tasting is opening the bottles beforehand for a pre taste. I mean, you have to make sure that they are presented in the correct order.

:bigblush:

edit:

Does anyone know why the Glendronach whisky is so affordable with age? The only one I've bought is the 21, and I found it to be pretty good overall. Not amazing, but bold with lots of depth. A bit bitter though but it seems to be balanced out with whatever perceived sugars are present. Very different than a typical scotch I would drink, perhaps that's why I liked it. Nevertheless, my thoughts are that < $150 for a bottle over 2 decades old is a pretty good bargain.

Having said that, has anyone tried the Glendronach 18? Reasonable $ on that one too.

If anyone knows where I can buy another bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas or the Clynelish 14 I'll open the bottle with them and share a dram. I regret not buying more than 1 bottle each.

Edited by Green Building