The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

A colleague/friend and I picked up a 26 of Johnnie Walker Blue when we were down in the States. They threw in a mickie. We celebrate each time one of us gets a publication. Stamp the front page of the publication with a ring of whiskey from the bottom of the glass.

EDIT: Great tasting whisky if you prefer blends.

Edited by Down by the River

For some reason, Redbreast 12 seems not to be stocked anymore in BC. Used to be able to get it no problem through the government liquor store, but they've taken it off their website and a couple of private stores that have good selection have said they can't get it.

Anyone know what's going on here? Better yet, anyone find an Irish whiskey of a comparable quality?

I never got into Irish Whiskey, but these look doable:

cz67.jpg

Anyone going to pick up one of these?

http://www.insidevan...g-to-vancouver/

I have never understood why people prefer blended whiskey. I feel like I should go to a blended whiskey tasting and try a bunch, but it seems ridiculous to spend $200 when I can get a fantastic single malt for that price. What are your reasons for choosing a blend?

I want to understand, but will not be buying that bottle, or Johnny Blue, without a significant pay raise. Having said that my collection is getting pretty silly. 12 bottles I don't think is overdoing it is it?

Edited by Green Building

Asked Liquor Plus if Redbreast is coming back, and got this response:

If you ask the importer, Irish Whiskies have grown around the world and their allocation has been reduced and is offered twice/year. If you ask me, there is a higher bidder out there and they are getting the volume. Sadly as a private buyer, like you, we are at the mercy of the LDB in terms of the price offered to the supplier for a scarce resource. I will keep you informed.

So hopefully it will be back sooner rather than later. Damn these liquor laws that prohibit ordering online! I'm usually a little wary on NAS statement whiskeys, but the Writers Tears sounds rather promising.

As for blends, I don't get it either. I thought for years that I hated scotch; turns out, I just hate cheap scotch! The grain whisky makes the dram taste a little too thin for my liking, Like you, if I had the money to spend on JW Blue, I'd rather spring for a really nice single malt. The only time I could see myself buying a blend is if I was giving a gift and wasn't sure what the recipient's tastes were. I wouldn't say 12 bottles is too much considering the variety styles you can get

Probably one of my favourite threads on CDC, fantastic read and like hearing your suggestions. For some things in life I don't let money get in the way and Whiskey is one of them. Funny enough one of my favourite is Wisers Special Blend which is pretty cheap (around $35).

I will look into some of the more expensive bottles and see what feedback I can provide.

If anybody has questions regarding Whiskey etc i suggest you go to youtube and search SingleMaltTv, lots of 1-3 min videos educating people in a very easy to understand way.

Probably one of my favourite threads on CDC, fantastic read and like hearing your suggestions. For some things in life I don't let money get in the way and Whiskey is one of them. Funny enough one of my favourite is Wisers Special Blend which is pretty cheap (around $35).

I will look into some of the more expensive bottles and see what feedback I can provide.

If anybody has questions regarding Whiskey etc i suggest you go to youtube and search SingleMaltTv, lots of 1-3 min videos educating people in a very easy to understand way.

Right on Ari! I feel this thread doesn't get enough attention and I enjoy reading everyone's opinion too! Not to mention my whisk(e)y passion means I like to share my own ;) Regarding expensive bottles of whiskey, I primarily feel that you can never go wrong with an expensive single malt. Blends, like I mentioned earlier, I have yet to understand. Having said that Woodford 4 Wood is a blend and I loved it; it is just sooooo god damned good though. Not a bourbon anymore because of it being blended with whiskey not aged in fresh charred American oak, but bourbon flavour on steroids is what it has.

I may just re read the 3 pages for nostalgic reasons.

Asked Liquor Plus if Redbreast is coming back, and got this response:

So hopefully it will be back sooner rather than later. Damn these liquor laws that prohibit ordering online! I'm usually a little wary on NAS statement whiskeys, but the Writers Tears sounds rather promising.

As for blends, I don't get it either. I thought for years that I hated scotch; turns out, I just hate cheap scotch! The grain whisky makes the dram taste a little too thin for my liking, Like you, if I had the money to spend on JW Blue, I'd rather spring for a really nice single malt. The only time I could see myself buying a blend is if I was giving a gift and wasn't sure what the recipient's tastes were. I wouldn't say 12 bottles is too much considering the variety styles you can get

Tell me about the liquor laws being a nuisance. I wanted to buy myself this for Christmas:

ezed0w.jpg

So disappointed to have not been able to get it shipped. I knew that already of course, that it couldn't be sent from Europe, but I figured I would have been able to find a local merchant carrying the same idea. Maybe I should concoct my own and market it this year! Whoops, I was just arrested.

Thank God 12 isn't too much, it turned into 13 today. Only 1 is less than 1/2 full.

edit: Overall I'd say that makes me an optimist.

Edited by Green Building

Jason Pyle of Sour Mash Manifest has lots of good content, as does Ralfy (YT username: ralfystuff).

Picked up my first bottle of Macallan Amber from the 1824 series. It's good if you like Highland Scotch, it tastes like Highland Park 12 year, only a touch smoother. I'd love to try the Sienna and Ruby, but that will have to wait.

For anyone living on Vancouver Island there is the Cowichan Vally Whisk(e)y Festival in April. Over 50 whiskies as well as beers and food apparently. Held in Duncan.

edit: my own whisky tasting today consisted of bottles from my private collection, some tastes were, *ahem, multiples

33m0x2p.jpg

jrb85d.jpg

1z3tg9l.jpg

2ppx5xl.jpg

Has anyone tried the Irish Tears yet? I almost bought a bottle last week just out of curiosity. I think I should still do it.

Edited by Green Building
  • Upvote 1

Going to Edinburgh I did think I died and had gone to Heaven.

IMG_0066.jpg

That at the Scotch Whisky Experience? I went there 3 times within 4 months...eventually they just gave me a free membership.

I'm a girl, so I guess I will be stereotypical and say I am partial to lighter scotch. I went to the Isle of Arran distillery a couple of times, tried their 10 year single malt. A bit citrusy and really enjoyable...but what stole my heart was their Arran's Gold cream liqueur. Still haven't found any in Vancouver, but I guess they are a small enough distillery that I shouldn't expect seeing it everywhere. I generally haven't tried a whisky I hated expect ones that are overly peat-y.

Has anyone tried the Irish Tears yet? I almost bought a bottle last week just out of curiosity. I think I should still do it.

Good choices for the tasting! I was considering it, but found a bottle of Redbreast and figured I should get that since availability of it is spotty at best at the moment. I wonder if there's anywhere on the island that sells it by the glass. How does the Amber compare to the Mac 12? Edited by King Heffy

Don't just limit your experimentation to whiskey. Lots of great tequilas and rums out there too at a better cheaper price for the quality you get. I don't think you'll develop a taste for the good stuff drinking what you've currently tried (all those brands are best suited for mixing in my opinion). What kind of beers do you usually enjoy? It might be easier to make suggestions for you to try if we have an idea what kind of flavours you like.

I know but I like whiskey. I'm always open on trying different types of alcohol..

In terms of beer? I don't have a particular favourite but my Top 5 would be this in no particular order..

Heineken, Sleeman Honey Brown, Guinness, Alexander Keith's, and Beck's... Recently started loving Blue Moon

My suggestion would be to start with bourbon. Great bourbon can be had for half the cost of a good scotch. Bourbon has a broad range of flavor profiles, but almost all have some sweetness, making it easier to drink for the beginner, IMO.

I've had bourbon before... don't remember if I liked it or not but I do want to get into that as well

I second the Bourbon recommendation. Pick yourself up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $50 Apple Juice, it is a very nice Bourbon. Pour a couple ounces into a snifter, taste it, add a couple drips of water (around a teaspoon or less), taste again. If you still find it a bit harsh, add 1 ice cube to chill. Just be wary of over dilution. All the while smelling the caramel, wood, and spice {from the high rye content) that it has.

Writing this makes me want one myself! Time to pour one.

I much prefer to have a glass of any drink before buying a full bottle. What if I don't like it? Then I'm stuck with it until the next party where I'd probably get myself super buzzed before actually enjoying it. That's just the way I see it.

Sorry I haven't replied in a while.. I didn't check back into this thread ahha... Since then, I've had a Johnnie Walker Red Label, Blue Label, and Jameson's and so far, Johnnie Walker is my favourite. It's so smooth even for Red Label that I could have it any time.... and my god is Blue Label ever so good. I had it on the rocks on my cruise just last week and I enjoyed every sip. Sucks that I got billed $21 for it but damn was it worth the $21.

Your beer tastes are fairly varied flavour-wise, which, while it doesn't give me a lot to go on in terms of recommendations, does suggest that your chances of gaining an appreciation for quality whisky are good.

I'm not trying to judge you, and you can drink whisky however you damn like, but I wouldn't recommend drinking any decent whisky on the rocks, for several reasons:

1. The ice melting dilutes the whisky, which takes away from the smell (which is a big part of the experience)
  2. The ice will numb your tongue, which hinders your ability to taste flavours that may be present
  3. The ice will likely be made from tap water, which contains chemicals that may interact with the whisky and alter the flavour.

I (and any whisky expert I've ever heard of) would recommend trying it either on it's own, or with a small drop of spring water, which will help open up the whisky. As for easily available brands you might want to try, your appreciation for a smooth whisy should point you towards a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Both are quality, affordable single malts that are very approachable for a beginner.

Edited by King Heffy

Purhased a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 year. FANTASTIC !

This weekend I will be having a Scotch party with some interesting bottles coming. Highland Park 12 year, 2 people are bringing the Glen 12 (Typical), a Glenmorangie - 12 Year Old Quinta Ruban and a Macallan 12 as well (which I'm personally excited to try)

Also I finally was able to find a true Whiskey glass. For those that are curious, the Glencairn glass 4 set is available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $39.99.

If you end up liking it at the tasting, be sure to buy yourself a bottle, as it has been discontinued.

ugh.. When did that happen ? There is still 186 bottles in the BCL system.

Sounds like a bottle to buy and sell in 40 years. It will still be a 12 year but likely one of the last in existence.

ugh.. When did that happen ? There is still 186 bottles in the BCL system.

Sounds like a bottle to buy and sell in 40 years. It will still be a 12 year but likely one of the last in existence.

We were discussing it on page 2 of this thread. :(

Good choices for the tasting! I was considering it, but found a bottle of Redbreast and figured I should get that since availability of it is spotty at best at the moment. I wonder if there's anywhere on the island that sells it by the glass. How does the Amber compare to the Mac 12?

Hahah, thanks! I definitely meant "tasting" ;). I have such a blast when a few friends come over and we just shoot the bull over a succession of whiskies. I guarantee you can find Redbreast 12 in a pub or restaurant somewhere. It isn't that obscure yet, I just can't pinpoint a location. I will try to keep my eyes open, but since you scooped one up already... I almost bought the Irish Tears, but picked up a schwack of new beer instead. Blasphemy talking about that malt beverage in a whisky thread.

Comparing the Amber to the Mac 12 is impossible for me as I have never had the 12. That surprises a lot of people. I tend to not like a lot of the typical Highland single malts. I haven't had them all yet so all I can say is that it is hit and miss. Oban 14 is a nice exception. As is anything aged past 12 years. I suppose I find the young Highland malts too unrefined, and slightly boring. As with anything in life though, my palate has adapted and expanded greatly over the last few years so it is quite possible that I simply haven't learned how to appreciate the Highland for what it is.

As long as I'm lightly trash talking the region, a shout out goes to Oban 14 (again), Glendronach 21, and Highland Park 18.

Purhased a bottle of Auchentoshan 12 year. FANTASTIC !

This weekend I will be having a Scotch party with some interesting bottles coming. Highland Park 12 year, 2 people are bringing the Glen 12 (Typical), a Glenmorangie - 12 Year Old Quinta Ruban and a Macallan 12 as well (which I'm personally excited to try)

Also I finally was able to find a true Whiskey glass. For those that are curious, the Glencairn glass 4 set is available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $39.99.

I am so close to slapping down the bucks for the Glencairn glassware myself and have been on Amazon scoping out the prices for a few days. I would really like the Riedel whisky glasses, but at $40 bucks a piece they are one inevitable slip away form being multiple expensive pieces.

15eij4i.jpg

These glasses are multi purpose for me. Stouts, Belgians, sour beers, as well as Scotch and Bourbon apply to this glass in my house. I just had to train myself where to put my nose as to not get a brain freeze full of booze.

I too am going to try the Auch 12 this weekend. I enjoy crossing a whisky of of the "have tasted" list. Enjoy the whisky tasting!