The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

Got myself a new bottle for enjoyment after the game, hopefully in celebration of gold!

1050942.jpg

How was the celebration? Tasty?

Picked up a bottle of this today. Super good, and a completely different taste than what I was expecting from an Irish whiskey.

glassandbottle.jpg

A lot of love for Irish Whiskey in here, I have recently resolved to deplete [joyously] my single malt and bourbon collection and replace it [temporarily?] with some Irish, er uh, you know, research.

I did pick up a bottle of Forty Creek Cream for the Gold Medal game:

e8ahq9.jpg

just to change it up from Bailey's. It is a good product, and a fair bit cheaper than the big B, but it had a cocoa flavour I did not expect, or want, in my whiskey. Coffee solved all of that. Anyone who likes Carolines (which I find too sweet) or Baileys will probably dig it, and save a few bucks for that $200 bottle of single malt you always wanted to hold. In your arms. Like a woman. Like this woman. She looks like she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2mmiji0.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Green Building

for Whiskey I just go with a simple Jack(don't shy from anything though) Jameson is good and I enjoy that aswell

Jack is pretty good. Just been drinking some "Gentleman Jack." and it's a lot smoother. I like Jameson as well.

Somewhere in the cupboard I have a bottle of 21 year old chivas regal....that I got way back in about 2001. Maybe I should crack that open.

Johnnie walker 'blue' label is damn fine. Can drink it like water. Finally understood what smooth was when I first tasted that!

An older couple that I befriended is taking a trip to the bourbon motherland (Louisville, Kentucky) next month and they said they'd pick up some bourbon for me since Pennsylvania limited selection with the state controlling the liquor stores.

So far my list includes:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Elmer T. Lee

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Grand-Dad 114

Evan Williams White Label

There is more I could add, but I'm trying to keep it under $200 (USD) while expanding my collection.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

An older couple that I befriended is taking a trip to the bourbon motherland (Louisville, Kentucky) next month and they said they'd pick up some bourbon for me since Pennsylvania limited selection with the state controlling the liquor stores.

So far my list includes:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Elmer T. Lee

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Grand-Dad 114

Evan Williams White Label

There is more I could add, but I'm trying to keep it under $200 (USD) while expanding my collection.

Your friends rock!

I have not had the Old Grand Dad 114, or the Evan Williams but based on past conversations about the kinds of Bourbon you like I can guarantee that you will enjoy the rest. Especially Elmer. That is a beauty bourbon. 4 Roses Single Barrel is outstanding too.

I'm getting excited on your behalf. If I weren't about to enjoy a robust porter I would have a bourbon... Hmm, nightcap maybe.

I can't remember what distilleries I was contemplating, but I just could not bring myself to drop $125 on a bottle of 2 different bourbons I recently checked out. Elmer T. Lee is the most expensive one I have at around $80 and I don't see myself going much higher.

North of 80 means I just buy a nice single malt.

Had my first glass of Irish Tears on the weekend. Naturally, I can't comapare it to anything I typically drink (bourbon, single malt) but it was surprisingly tasty. It had some nice stuff going on and was moderately smooth considering it's an Irish blend.

@triangulate Crack that sucker open brother! Just don't do it when you get home from the pub.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

talisker_10lifeboats_300c.jpg

Latest addition to the shelf. Can't believe I hadn't gotten around to trying this yet, as I am absolutely loving the peppery notes. A new favourite!

I haven't had that one before. Peppery sounds interesting, a little spicy too like cracked pepper?

edit: just read about it. I need a bottle of this to round out my peaty scotch collection. Plus I like whisky distilled near the ocean for the light saltiness it retains.

while I am a veteran drinker I've only recently started drinking whiskey.

for the cheepo at the bar I perfer

forty creek

if I make a trip to the LCBO I go for crown or wisers deluxe

Forty Creek is good Canadian Rye, no shame in it.

Edited by Green Building

Cracked pepper would be an excellent way of describing it. I've never tasted another whisky like it!

Well you have me convinced then, it will be my next bottle of whisky. Do you find it dry? Or sweet like Ardbeg?

I had been depleting my Bourbon collection rather evenly so I picked up a bottle of Eagles Rare 10, never a bad choice.

Well you have me convinced then, it will be my next bottle of whisky. Do you find it dry? Or sweet like Ardbeg?

I had been depleting my Bourbon collection rather evenly so I picked up a bottle of Eagles Rare 10, never a bad choice.

There's a sweetness to it, but it's not extreme like a sherried malt. Kind of reminds me of bacon a bit.

Edited by King Heffy

Jack is pretty good. Just been drinking some "Gentleman Jack." and it's a lot smoother. I like Jameson as well.

Somewhere in the cupboard I have a bottle of 21 year old chivas regal....that I got way back in about 2001. Maybe I should crack that open.

Johnnie walker 'blue' label is damn fine. Can drink it like water. Finally understood what smooth was when I first tasted that!

I second the Johnnie Walker Blue Label comment. While mine was iced down to an extreme, I fully enjoyed it to the last drop and I would pay the money I paid for it again. Costed me $21 when I bought it on the rocks

I haven't had that one before. Peppery sounds interesting, a little spicy too like cracked pepper?

edit: just read about it. I need a bottle of this to round out my peaty scotch collection. Plus I like whisky distilled near the ocean for the light saltiness it retains.

Forty Creek is good Canadian Rye, no shame in it.

I thought Forty Creek was absolute trash. Then again, the product that we get here in the US could be wildly different from what it is Canada. In fact, I have yet to find a Canadian whiskey that didn't taste like garbage when it wasn't mixed with something to cover/dull the lack of flavor. Suggestions would be welcomed.

I splurged a bit for some single malt tonight. Settled on a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and man, it was pretty damn awesome. Worth the money, but it can't be a regular purchase, either.

As for my bourbon list, this is what I submitted to have brought back from Bourbon Mecca:

Old Grand-Dad 114

Evan Williams White Label BIB

Rittenhouse Rye BIB

Elmer T. Lee

Buffalo Trace Mash #1 White Dog

I forgot a lot of whiskeys that I would like to try (Four Roses Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, etc) but it's a start and my friends are going back to Kentucky at the end of May so I'll get another chance to get some stuff that I could otherwise not get here in Pennsylvania.

I thought Forty Creek was absolute trash. Then again, the product that we get here in the US could be wildly different from what it is Canada. In fact, I have yet to find a Canadian whiskey that didn't taste like garbage when it wasn't mixed with something to cover/dull the lack of flavor. Suggestions would be welcomed.

I splurged a bit for some single malt tonight. Settled on a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and man, it was pretty damn awesome. Worth the money, but it can't be a regular purchase, either.

As for my bourbon list, this is what I submitted to have brought back from Bourbon Mecca:

Old Grand-Dad 114

Evan Williams White Label BIB

Rittenhouse Rye BIB

Elmer T. Lee

Buffalo Trace Mash #1 White Dog

I forgot a lot of whiskeys that I would like to try (Four Roses Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, etc) but it's a start and my friends are going back to Kentucky at the end of May so I'll get another chance to get some stuff that I could otherwise not get here in Pennsylvania.

The Collingwood 21 year I just posted a picture of is an excellent Canadian whiskey.

This is the stuff made with 100% rye right?

does it taste like rye bread/how is it different from wisers?

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this one, stronger taste than Wisers, and somewhat rougher, not really an after dinner drink, more like Cowboy whiskey

Assuming you're in BC, and have very little experience judging by context.

Avoid anything that says "Islay Whisky". You'll either love it or HATE it, and I'm guessing you're more likely to hate it initially. Rebreast 12 is a very high quality Irish whiskey that falls in your price range, and would be very suitable for a novice. Highland Park 12 would also be a good choice; it's a high quality and has a bit of most characteristics common in Scotch. Glenmorangie 10 is a quality, but unchallenging dram that would also be suitable. All 3 of these are definitely in your price range.