The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Julien takes a shot prior to game: Tim Thomas wouldn't have won Stanley Cup without Bruins

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/11/07/claude-julien-tim-thomas-wouldnt-have-won-stanley-cup-without-bruins/

Tim Thomas won’t play Thursday against the Bruins as he rehabs a lower-body injury, but Claude Julien kept the Thomas-Bruins story alive with a very honest take on Thomas’ legacy Thursday.

Responding to a question about the line of thinking that the Bruins wouldn’t have won the Stanley Cup in 2011 without Thomas, Julien corrected the record by noting that it’s important people understand that Thomas had an easier job than most goalies.

"They’re right, but Tim Thomas doesn’t win the Stanley Cup if our team doesn’t play as well it did in front of him,” Julien said. “This is an honest statement. Tim played well, but I think our team played just as well in front of him. You don’t win the Stanley Cup just with a goaltender. He won the Conn Smythe because he was very good, but I would like to hope that the statistics of your goaltenders can also reflect the team in front of you.

“We did a pretty good job in front of him for years, minimizing the goal-scoring chances and the quality of them. Let’s make sure we don’t take credit away from the rest of the team, too. He was a big part of it, and so were a lot of other guys, but at the same time, we won the Stanley Cup because we were a good team. That’s what I like to think, anyways.”

Thomas had a 2.00 goals-against average in the 2010-11 regular season with a then-NHL-record .938 save-percentage. That performance earned him his second Vezina Trophy, while his 1.98 GAA and .940 save-percentage helped the B’s to a Stanley Cup victory in which he was the recipient of the Conn Smythe.

Wow, what an arrogant prick Claude Julien is. Yea I understand where he's coming from but the way he worded what he said and the way he said it is just pathetic. Makes me hate him and the Bruins that much more, what a classless comment towards Timmy.....Thomas played Godly that year and without him there is no cup for Boston hands down; what a clown that guy is...

I think Julien has things backwards. The Bruins wouldn't have a Stanley Cup if not for Tim Thomas standing on his head and making some of the most miraculous saves I've ever seen during that playoff run and Stanley Cup Final.

Edit: .940 Save Percentage in the playoffs. Yep, the B's played SOOOOO well in front of Thomas in 2011. Give me a break, ya fat oaf.

I think Julien has things backwards. The Bruins wouldn't have a Stanley Cup if not for Tim Thomas standing on his head and making some of the most miraculous saves I've ever seen during that playoff run and Stanley Cup Final.

Exactly what my take is on it and everyone else's I know....you can't even put into words how Godly he played that Godly is the only way to describe it lol. If Thomas were goalie for any other playoff team that year, without a doubt that team becomes favourites looking at it now...Julien is really stupid, like really.

I agree to an extent. If you look at the games the Bruins won in the Finals, Vancouver was not in any of them; almost anybody could be in net and win. However, Thomas played really well to get the Bruins to the Finals, played well in the finals, and gave his team the confidence to play the way they want and not worry about allowing weak goals.

http://bigbadblog.we...without-bruins/

Wow, what an arrogant prick Claude Julien is. Yea I understand where he's coming from but the way he worded what he said and the way he said it is just pathetic. Makes me hate him and the Bruins that much more, what a classless comment towards Timmy.....Thomas played Godly that year and without him there is no cup for Boston hands down; what a clown that guy is...

I would go as far as to say that if Thomas was in the net last year for Bruins, they would've won the cup again and be called the dynasty team instead of Chicago. Thomas was the biggest reason they won the cup against the Canucks.

Thomas was the main reason why the Bruins made the finals and beat the Canucks...

Not surprised though, it is Claude Julien after all. Classless comment by a classless guy.

Can't believe he's on team Canada's coaching staff.

You kidding me he totally got exposed in lightning series he had like 3 6 goal games. The reffing ruined last 5 games in our series too hes no good goalie.

I honestly didn't expect anything less from Julien. Sure, I would be sour if my goaltender did what Thomas did but we had some darn glorious chances that would have otherwise gone in for us if it wasn't for Thomas' great play. However, he is free to stir that pot all he wants...

Exactly what my take is on it and everyone else's I know....you can't even put into words how Godly he played that Godly is the only way to describe it lol. If Thomas were goalie for any other playoff team that year, without a doubt that team becomes favourites looking at it now...Julien is really stupid, like really.

.940 SV% over the 25 games of the playoffs. GET. THE. FRACK. OUT if you think the B's didn't win because of his absurd goaltending.

I honestly didn't expect anything less from Julien. Sure, I would be sour if my goaltender did what Thomas did but we had some darn glorious chances that would have otherwise gone in for us if it wasn't for Thomas' great play. However, he is free to stir that pot all he wants...

We had to get past the refs. there d, thomas, then chara to get a goal(game 7 burrows has empty net twice chara blocks it both times) odds were against us. Lightning made thomas look like a fool though they scored so many goals on him cept for last game where they had no PP.

He's 100% right

Thomas played great but any goalie who is delusional enough to think that THEY are the team or THEY are the reason for the team's success deserve a giant kick in the rear

Such delusions of grandeur go against everything that a team sport is about and it's a good way to alienate yourself from your team mates.

Classy of the Bruins to play a video tribute to Thomas though. Give credit where it's due - he was a big part of their win. Can't forget what he did.

He's 100% right

Thomas played great but any goalie who is delusional enough to think that THEY are the team or THEY are the reason for the team's success deserve a giant kick in the rear

I disagree. It's a given any Cup winner has a team that played good infront of their goalie but this was a whole different situation. Thomas saved their rear end numerous times that run and without it they don't go anywhere. He set records for crying out loud and really, anyone can re-word this and say that the Bruins wouldn't win without the play of Thomas.

I get Julien's 'theory' and rationale

1. In theory this is the case you cant win the cup without a solid team effort all around, and they did have a terrific defensive group

2. Rationale, Thomas is gone, he's not going to tell his current team, he's the only reason we won...its absurd

3. Reality, a bit of number 1 but Thomas stole the series back in 2011 in the finals...he was the reason they won in the FINALS, now he didn't have an entire playoff like that folks so don't be so hard on Julien, he is being pretty even handed actually.

Archived