The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Julien takes a shot prior to game: Tim Thomas wouldn't have won Stanley Cup without Bruins

I'm no fan of CJ but it amuses me to see all the posters here who look for every opportunity to discredit all things Bruins. He is probably right here; what has TT done since his Cup win anyway? As all the Luongo defenders say, it's a team game.

Wait, does anyone here disagree with the statements he made, or are you just trying to find reasons to label the bruins as classless every time they say anything?

Who here believes that Tim Thomas would have won all four of those series without the Bruins playing well in front of him? Unless you think that Tim Thomas would have won the cup even if the Bruins played poorly (or, not nearly as well as they did), then you agree with Claude Julien.

I'm not sure why people are upset. It's true. And Julien pretty well sums up what I've been saying for years when he said, "We did a pretty good job in front of him for years, minimizing the goal-scoring chances and the quality of them.”

Thomas was good no doubt. But, his D was stellar, keeping players to the outside, forcing them to take lots of low quality chances because they weren't able to set up a cycle to try for a good scoring chance, much less to get in close for tip-ins. (Even in the regular season only Carolina gave up more shots per game than Boston did. It was their style of play.) And multiple times in the SCF we saw his D literally jump in behind a sprawling Thomas to stop pucks that he missed by playing too aggressively. Thomas was absolutely a good goalie, but he was made great by a good team just as surely as they were made great by him. The vast majority of the time, that's just how it works.

We've seen it with Luo this year. There were games where Luo's stats looked bad when he was actually playing spectacularly but the team wasn't whereas he got shutouts in games where he played well but the team played great. It's a team sport and what the goalie or team does will always affect the other. And Julien saying pretty much that isn't disrespectful, just an acknowledgement of reality.

If Im not mistaken he does give Thomas credit, and what he says is pretty much tantamount to admitting that the Bruins would not have won the Cup without his goaltending. Hes just saying that the rest of the team deserves credit too. Im certainly not a fan of Julien's, but I don't see anything wrong in what he is saying here.

Yes, exactly. Several posters clearly did not read his full comments, or did not read them very carefully, but he clearly said Thomas was good and so was the rest of the team. How infuriating!!

Really makes me wonder about some of the posters here. Pretty quick to say "typical scumbag Julien" based on nothing. And I'm no Julien fan, not even a little, but some of these comments are just childish and ridiculous. Maybe tone down the outrage if you don't have the inclination to read properly.

i recall thomas wasnt that great vs tampa in the conf finals. the bruins managed to out score tampa.

it was nux anemic offense and PP in the final that made him looked even better

Tampa-bruins

gm 1 5-2

gm 2 5-6

gm 4 0-2

gm 5 5-3

gm 6 5-4

gm 7 0-1

Tampa scored 5 goals in 4 of the games, but won only 4.

say what you want about claude but he always puts the team first ahead of individuals. seguin was moved quickly out of town for his late night indescretions, as for thomas he lost the locker room for failing to show up at the white house. this is a team honour and a strong american symbol of patriotism without partisan politics, it's almost duty like to attend a presidential affair where petty politics are put aside.

claude is a great coach, look how well they did making to scf in 2012/13 playing kids ( krug, bartkowski, hamilton etc ) in the lineup, making shrewd roster moves ( injuries ) throughout the playoff run and had equal or better goaltending because chicago was a bigger scoring threat than the canucks offence from 2 years prior with rask...just saying

so my point is: his satement is a team based reply!

Archived