The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Julien takes a shot prior to game: Tim Thomas wouldn't have won Stanley Cup without Bruins

I watched the series. Luongo played well in 3 games and average/poorly in 4 games (i'm not saying the blame's all on him, the team played poorly in front of him as well). Anyway, that's beside the point.

No one is saying Tim Thomas' goaltending wasn't great. that's why he was the MVP. maybe it was jaw dropping (though some of that has to do with his unusual technique, cf. Luongo comments)

But to say Thomas would have won without the team playing well in front of him is ridiculous.

I agree. I doubt that any goaltender has ever hoisted the Cup without the team in front of him playing well.

However, I think the thing that Julien is forgetting is that there's no way the Bruins win the Cup without Thomas' stellar play.

I get what he's saying, and I get why he said it.. and to some extent he's right. It's a team sport, and the team did make it easier on him. But Julien is also understating how great Thomas was during that series, he's the biggest reason they won imo.

I agree. I doubt that any goaltender has ever hoisted the Cup without the team in front of him playing well.

However, I think the thing that Julien is forgetting is that there's no way the Bruins win the Cup without Thomas' stellar play.

he does pretty much say that though. The whole quote is taken out of context in this thread.

Archived