The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A new and better Luongo?

Mackcanuck

That ridiculous goal by Joe Thornton last night in previous seasons could have weighed heavy on Lou.

Lou shook it off and played outstanding.

I bet there were more than a few fans who went, O-Boy here we go again,

But Lou had none of it.

There have been some other crazy goals,

Hamhuis mess and theTanev Flamingo come to mind and Lou was solid.

Some people refer to Lou's past "meltdowns", but I see a new and better Lou now

and I really like what I am seeing.

This is Lou's team again,The guy is money!

Agreed.

Lu finally has something to player for this year. This year he is on a mission to go out and prove that he was the undisputed better goalie and that Canucks management made the right choice. Not to mention, it is Olympic roster cuts too and adds something else to fuel Lu's fire to do that much better. He's been excellent to say the least and one thing I want to note is Lu's mental toughness has increased tenfold. He hasn't been rattled by anything - the opposition players, the chirping, when he gets hit, when unfortunate goals go in - and instead comes back stronger. I know 100% that this somewhat to do with Torts and the atmosphere he brings to the team. You don't see it in just Lu but the entire team.

The boys have turned into men and look like they are on a mission. Torts knows this is the last chance for this core group of players to win the Cup in the next few years and he's embraced the challenge and the team has bought in, so desperate for a Cup. I can still hear Luongos interview not too long ago saying "we won't quit, Torts won't let us". It was at that moment I knew for sure that Torts had gotten the trust from the entire team and was the perfect fit for the team. A teams culture/identity is originated from the coach and it's quite obvious Torts has implemented a system where everyone has to give it the best effort despite the ice time they'll be given, never call it quits during a game, and one that won't take bs from opposing teams any more.

...this team has the promise and potential to go all the way and it's no joke.

Agreed.

Lu finally has something to player for this year. This year he is on a mission to go out and prove that he was the undisputed better goalie and that Canucks management made the right choice. Not to mention, it is Olympic roster cuts too and zygote something else to fuel Lu's fire to do that much better. He's been excellent to say the least and one thing I want to note is Lu's mental toughness has increased tenfold. He hasn't been rattled by anything - the opposition players, the chirping, when he gets hit, when unfortunate goals go in - and instead comes back stronger. I know 100% that this somewhat to do with Torts and the atmosphere he brings to the team. You don't see it in just Lu but the entire team.

The boys have turned into men and look like they are on a mission. Torts knows this is the last chance for this core group of players to win the Cup in the next few years and he's em brasses the challenge and the team has bought in, so desperate for a Cup. I can still hear Luongos interview not too long ago saying "we won't quit, Torts won't let us". It was at that moment I knew for sure that Torts had gotten the trust from the entire team and was the perfect for for the team. A teams culture/identity is originated from the coach and it's quite obvious Torts has implemented a system where everyone has to give it the best effort despite the ice time they'll be given, never call it quite during a game, and one that won't take bs from opposing teams any more.

Masterpiece.

Luongo has been better than I'm sure most expected so far this year and it's very encouraging to see that he's not collapsing when an iffy or strange goal gets past him. That being said and all the credit to him for how he's done to this point, but let's wait and see if this new and improved Luongo can carry on this way throughout the playoffs. Regular season has never really been an issue for him so I for one am not overly surprised. Good on him though.

It looks like Luongo is less stressed out this year, he smiles, jokes, and generally looks happy. I'm keeping the fingers crossed in hope he will not want to be traded anymore.

Spot on his post game interview that I saw on YouTube he really had a good laugh with it all. I have always been a fan of Lu since he came here but I am glad he is finding the enjoyment in the game again, he is much more handsome when he laughs :wub:

Agreed.

Lu finally has something to player for this year. This year he is on a mission to go out and prove that he was the undisputed better goalie and that Canucks management made the right choice. Not to mention, it is Olympic roster cuts too and adds something else to fuel Lu's fire to do that much better. He's been excellent to say the least and one thing I want to note is Lu's mental toughness has increased tenfold. He hasn't been rattled by anything - the opposition players, the chirping, when he gets hit, when unfortunate goals go in - and instead comes back stronger. I know 100% that this somewhat to do with Torts and the atmosphere he brings to the team. You don't see it in just Lu but the entire team.

The boys have turned into men and look like they are on a mission. Torts knows this is the last chance for this core group of players to win the Cup in the next few years and he's embraced the challenge and the team has bought in, so desperate for a Cup. I can still hear Luongos interview not too long ago saying "we won't quit, Torts won't let us". It was at that moment I knew for sure that Torts had gotten the trust from the entire team and was the perfect fit for the team. A teams culture/identity is originated from the coach and it's quite obvious Torts has implemented a system where everyone has to give it the best effort despite the ice time they'll be given, never call it quits during a game, and one that won't take bs from opposing teams any more.

With the infusion of youth that will take place the next two years, I disagree that our window is closing. Otherwise, well said.

If and when we get to the offseason I don't think Torts would let Luu collapse in the playoffs. As we have seen in the short time thus far he'd probably address any problems with our boys pretty quick. The resilience the team is developing now by the end of the regular season will give them the mental fortitude that is required to succeed in the playoffs when things get tough.

we've been over this and saying this since the 2009 playoff run. This team is quite far from the 2011 team. That team had 2 lines that can score goals, an outstanding bottom 6 supporting Cast, and 6 strong defencemens, including the hardest right handed shooter in the leauge at the time.

Although I hope to be proven wrong, the Vancouver Canucks have a uphill battle to go. Their are some powerful teams in our division right now, and I think we are behind them. You can say we have to potential to go far, so can like 5 other teams in the West can go very far. This team is more equivalent to the 2009 team, instead of the 2011 team.

With the infusion of youth that will take place the next two years, I disagree that our window is closing. Otherwise, well said.

Meant to say with the core group of guys, like Bieksa, Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Luongo...Sedins here for another 4 or so years so this is basically the last chance for them, and yea, there's always an opening to win.

Is Luongo still working with Rollie Melanson?

I remember hearing a couple games ago about his side to side movement and how he has worked hard on staying upright instead of the 'belly flop' desperation save.

He just seems a lot more steady and sharp as we have seen in years past. Love it!

we've been over this and saying this since the 2009 playoff run. This team is quite far from the 2011 team. That team had 2 lines that can score goals, an outstanding bottom 6 supporting Cast, and 6 strong defencemens, including the hardest right handed shooter in the leauge at the time.

Although I hope to be proven wrong, the Vancouver Canucks have a uphill battle to go. Their are some powerful teams in our division right now, and I think we are behind them. You can say we have to potential to go far, so can like 5 other teams in the West can go very far. This team is more equivalent to the 2009 team, instead of the 2011 team.

The past 2 years actually (since the Cup run), I don't know of many people who said we'd go all the way. It was quite evident we wouldn't and key players were banged up, plus we had a team that tuned out the coach after so many years of hearing the same stuff over and over.

This year is different. If you've watched any of the games you'll see the team has a jump and spark to them which they've never had before and everyone is battling, playing "stiff hockey". They don't quit, everyone contributes, so I think it's fair to say we have can go all the way. Won't be favourites but I'm perfectly fine with that, rather be an underdog and not focus on the season mainly leaving a bit of gas for the post-season. Obviously the intent is to win every game but you know what I'm trying to say :P

I think it has a lot to do with the new philosophy.

With AV when we were down it a free for all, d-men pinching constantly, risky plays, etc. When we were up, it was dump and change, giving the puck to the other team and rolling 4 lines.

Now with Torts, no matter what is the score, it's torts hockey. Hard forecheck, plays your best players, etc.

I think Luo is having a great year so far and I've said before I believe Torts has helped the entire team, including Luo, find their passion for the game again.

I think part of Luo's breakdowns before was that he knew it was all on him. If he didn't have a great game, it was likely lost. That's a lot of pressure. But, this year it seems like the guys are playing for their goalie in a way we haven't seen them do for years. In the Toronto game, for example, you could see the team working their butts off those last 5 minutes to help Luo get the shutout even though the game outcome wasn't really in question. They worked for their goalie the same way they knew he's been working for them. It was a similar story in Luo's other shutout this year. And then last night after that fluke goal the guys got to work to get that one back for Luo, determined not to lose on something that stupid and out of Luo's control. It's that kind of determination that has been lacking and that I'm so glad to see Torts brought with him.

Archived