The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A new and better Luongo?

Mackcanuck

So if Luongo is somehow better than he already is (which i don't even know how this guy is saying it's as if it's Luongo's fault we are losing) we'd all of a sudden be a good team? last i checked in order for Luongo to win 4 of his last 5 games he needs to get a shutout in 4 of them ya? nope it's not the team not scoring.. Luongo not getting a shutout every night coz he's been average is the problem.

I don't know what you've "stated several times," only that the post of yours I responded to said Luo has been "only average." Not a single word about the team. And simply replying to throw out a bunch of generics while ignoring all of the facts in my previous reply doesn't make them less true. Just less convenient for your theory.

You seem to be confusing shots with legitimate scoring chances. They are not the same thing. Sadly, many of our shots, especially in the games where our shots have been high, have been easy saves for the goalie. On those same nights, we've been giving up breakaways and giving the other team seriously prime scoring chances. Those saves count the same, but that doesn't mean a goalie who makes 2 easy saves is playing better than the other who makes 1 great save. As of tonight, we have the 3rd highest S/G but the 21th highest G/G. Do you honestly believe that every single goalie we play just happens to be spectacular on the nights we play them but not as much against any other team? Seriously?

And btw, only 7 goalies in the league have made more saves than Luo this season. (And 5 of them have a worse GAA.) And Luo's only given up more than 2 goals in 6 of his 19 games so far this season, and only of those was in November. There are teams doing far more with far less in net.

Pretending that if Luo were just somehow better we would magically start winning is delusional. It's a team sport for a reason. If we need the goalie to steal games night in and night out, we don't deserve to win.

It's nice to read thought out responses, and I agree with you 100%. For anyone to suggest that Luongo has been average is a little befuddling. To this point he has been our most consistent and best performer this year. 13 of 19 games he's let in 2 or less goals? Clearly keeping pucks out is not this team's problem. We get credit from pundits for being a "knowledgeable hockey market" but the amount of reactionary criticism which does not correlate with facts, stats, or the way the team has been playing is mind boggling. I don't come here very much anymore, because it seems like a pissing contest more often than not. But nice post.

So if Luongo is somehow better than he already is (which i don't even know how this guy is saying it's as if it's Luongo's fault we are losing) we'd all of a sudden be a good team? last i checked in order for Luongo to win 4 of his last 5 games he needs to get a shutout in 4 of them ya? nope it's not the team not scoring.. Luongo not getting a shutout every night coz he's been average is the problem.

Luongo has been fine. He has not been great. That would be disingenuous. The team in front of him is doing fine. Its not talented enough to win like they used to.

Too bad the offense isnt there for him lately

Yea, early on we were winning games without his help.

I think it's fair to ask him to steal 2 games out of the last 5 losses... like.... you know it, i know it..... every team that succeeds also have their goalies steeling games for em. Unless you really want to pin the losses on the team, they might as well put me in net.

Yea, early on we were winning games without his help.

I think it's fair to ask him to steal 2 games out of the last 5 losses... like.... you know it, i know it..... every team that succeeds also have their goalies steeling games for em. Unless you really want to pin the losses on the team, they might as well put me in net.

i don't think it's fair to ask the goalie to shutout the other team.. stealing a game giving up 1 or 2 goals only is all you can ask for from your goalie and considering how some of those goals we gave up even happened. i mean the only way to win is shutout.. there's no other way about it..

Lol another easy night for Luongo and great defensive team effort and Luongo will get credit for 2 or less again by the the foolish blind backers.

Even in this game Luongo was coming out too far out of the net getting faked out and falling all over and as usual looked soft as butter on the 1st shot allowing yet another first shot goal and putting his team behind yet once again and another bad rebound on the 2nd Jacket goal.

Good thing the Canucks were strong defensively and Luongo was rarely tested yet again or the sniping powerhouse Jackets would have beat him for 5 or more tonight.

This season and almost every season the team in front of Luongo has been better then him good thing this team plays a very solid defensive game most of the time but doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Lol another easy night for Luongo and great defensive team effort and Luongo will get credit for 2 or less again by the the foolish blind backers.

Even in this game Luongo was coming out too far out of the net getting faked out and falling all over and as usual looked soft as butter on the 1st shot allowing yet another first shot goal and putting his team behind yet once again and another bad rebound on the 2nd Jacket goal.

Good thing the Canucks were strong defensively and Luongo was rarely tested yet again or the sniping powerhouse Jackets would have beat him for 5 or more tonight.

This season and almost every season the team in front of Luongo has been better then him good thing this team plays a very solid defensive game most of the time but doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Oh please you're reaching. He's only allowed two goals OR LESS in his last 10/11 starts. I'd love for you to show me another goalie in this league this year that's been that consistent and hasn't gotten any goal support. We know you hate Luongo, you don't need to spread your blind/unknowledgable hate around the boards.

The first goal tonight was a horrible breakdown that at least 3 guys can take credit for.

Kassian for playing his man soft along the boards and letting him by.

Whichever D-man turned his back on the player with the puck and gave him a free pass to the font of the net.

And Lu for biting on the fake and freezing himself.

Lu played fine. He'll be alot busier tomorrow night though.

Oh please you're reaching. He's only allowed two goals OR LESS in his last 10/11 starts. I'd love for you to show me another goalie in this league this year that's been that consistent and hasn't gotten any goal support. We know you hate Luongo, you don't need to spread your blind/unknowledgable hate around the boards.

Use some sense man you are like the others digging up some stats that twist things trying to make Luongo better then he is.

Goals scored by the team effect his win loss record all the games they've been outshooting opponents and hardly giving up chances are whats giving him 2 or less just like tonight where he still managed to look soft behind a stellar defensive team effort.

The team has been making him look good and should get the credit Luongo has been sub par as usual.

lol where was this last game where he made 34 saves against the FLORIDA PANTHERS? Who made who look good in that game?

Anyways yeh you are right, Lu only faced 16 shots wasn't busy, didn't need to be great and wasn't. Got lucky a few times but did what he had to do and we scored 6 goals. So what's your point? Goalies don't always have to be great and make 35 saves for a win. You think Brodeur doesn't have 100's of these type of wins under his belt?

An easy, sure fire way to identify a troll: They try to make it sound like a good defense game is a smear on the goalie rather than a credit to the team.

The team is supposed to have their goalie's back as much as he has theirs and the Columbus game was definitely one of those games. That's not a reason to boo Luo, it's a reason to cheer the team.

Use some sense man you are like the others digging up some stats that twist things trying to make Luongo better then he is.

Goals scored by the team effect his win loss record all the games they've been outshooting opponents and hardly giving up chances are whats giving him 2 or less just like tonight where he still managed to look soft behind a stellar defensive team effort.

The team has been making him look good and should get the credit Luongo has been sub par as usual.

The team is making him look good? Like here?

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E62R083AKs

How about this one?

That last one looked like his teammates really bailed him out!

An easy, sure fire way to identify a troll: They try to make it sound like a good defense game is a smear on the goalie rather than a credit to the team.

The team is supposed to have their goalie's back as much as he has theirs and the Columbus game was definitely one of those games. That's not a reason to boo Luo, it's a reason to cheer the team.

Nailed it

The team is making him look good? Like here?

or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E62R083AKs

How about this one?

That last one looked like his teammates really bailed him out!

Lol what the hell is this i could find just as many great save clips by the worst goalies in the league!

If i had as much time as you computer nerds i could put up video of a tonne of bad rebound goals, goals Luongo fell hook line and sinker for a move and left empty nets and other flat out weak goals it would be ridiculous.

Like i've been saying all along Luongo has been average at best and thats a compliment. The exeption of a handful of games at best Luongos looked soft and showing almost all the same bad tendencies he has when he has been at his worst.

Also btw i've been a fan of the canucks all my life and you're a idiot if you think because i point out the weaknesses of two players like Luongo and Edler that i'm not a fan.

I'm a realist and watching pretty much every game for years its clear to me thar when this team struggles more times then not the weaker links are Luongo and Edler.

As if! He's a never was and has never been the same since his groin injury before he signed that horrible contract. He's just a slightly better version of Dan Clutes. Lots of wins during the regular season but chokes in the playoffs. Now he's even more like Dan and you can guarantee he'll let you back in the game because he was never a Brodeur or ROY just a dreamer who believed his own hype and needed his tires pumped just ask Tim Thomas. He'll go down as overrated and never being able to win the big one and sorry the olympics with a stacked defensive core doesn't count and he did let them tie it in the last minute.

Archived