The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis makes me giggle...teehee

nuck luck

I, absolutely, love the moves that MG pulled off recently!!!!! But, one in particular makes me giggle like a little girl...and it's embarrassing :bigblush:

Some thoughts...

- We beat SJ with "MG's team" not Burke's.... how many points came from his picks-ups or trades in this win? :rolleyes:

- Nuck Luck...."if" last year wasn't a shortened season, and the teams had to ride a full season on (their stupid belief in) their "#1 keepers", MG could have had much better pick'ns for a trade. There's probably 3 or 4 teams this year that would have paid his asking price...

- Regardless of wins or losses, I am completely enjoying Nucks hockey! Torts really has these guys playing with heart and that's enough to keep me happy. Sure, wins would be great, but regardless of standing and basing it on just watching the Canucks play...this year is so much more enjoyable than the last couple.

- I like the "fight" this team has... We probably lead the league in giving up first goals, at least the first goals on the first shot, but this team is fighting it's way back and against top teams too. I have been pleading for this team to start standing up for themselves and each other...literally fighting back. Love what Stanton did and it's about time that the rest of the team start doing the same when the opposition starts abusing our key players...or any teammates for that matter. We need to give them a deterrent for cheap plays cause the refs aren't doing anything about it... Hated the mentality this team had with AV.

- It's so good to see rookies in our lineup and Torts giving them chances for redemption after a poor play...obviously boosting their confidence instead of demoralizing them. Kass is getting better and better and you can see him gaining confidence after every game.... I never really had much hope for Archie and thought he would be a lifer in the AHL.... at best. Good on Torts! for at least giving him a chance. I think he's gonna stick and if not, he'll be back next year.

- Speaking of rookies... I don't think I've ever felt this 'giddy' with the thought of our prospects. I can't wait to see one or more next year and it seems that MG addressed our 'rebuild' in one summer....at the very least...***mouth open (chipped front tooth) and speaks without moving his jaws***....I like it a lot! :)

- I can't believe MG got Stanton???? How did Chicago let him go??? I know that that their D is pretty solid...but there's no way someones gonna convince me that their best option was to waive Stanton??? Thanks Chicago :rolleyes:

- How did so many teams pass on Stanton before we had the chance to pick him up? Major credit to MG and his staff for grabbing him...and Santos....and Richards. You would think that teams like the Oilers, who are desperate for quality Dmen, would have nabbed him or at least had him on their radar? I'd think that Stanton would be a top pairing there.... but they did get Schultz.

- I wonder how J Schultz is liking his decision on choosing the Oil over his hometown team? The Canucks could have developed him into a quality Dman, but instead he decided to go against CDC's better judgement and chose a team that turns potential talent into mediocre talent. Yak, RNH, Gags, etc... How nice it would be to have J Schultz in our talent pool honing his skills with the Comets.

- Speaking of the Oil's...*giggle*... One of my favorite moves, so far, by MG is not giving away Schnieds to the Oilers and sticking to his guns of "major overpayment" or no trades within the same Division. I am ecstatic with our 9th pick and if you couple this with watching the Oilers lose so many games this season with "Doobie", it just makes me smile...a serious perma-grin....teehee :bigblush:

Schultz made his choice, TBH if the Oilers had gotten a half decent goalie and a proven coach it might be a different story over there, I know they've been a bottom feeder for awhile but with so much oozing young talent it's only a matter of time before they start meshing together and stringing together wins (again, with a decent goalie and a coach preaching defense as well as offense)

Also CDC better judgment?! That made me giggle :bigblush:

Good points otherwise. Such sleeper picks in the Santa/Stanton/Richardson pickups that look to pay off dividends

MG= good at free agents, bad at trades

This. Before we praise MG too much ask yourself how Ballard worked out, how about Booth? Not to mention the whole Hodgson deal. That being said MG seems to have had a great off season this year (or so it appears so far) Richardson and Santorelli are looking like steals and Stanton and looking solid. The 2013 draft picks are all looking great so yes he deserves credit for a great 2013 off season but prior to the that the Ehroff trade was really his only positive move among a number of huge mistakes.

To be fair, Gillis has been hit and miss with trades.

While Booth is a major question mark, Higgins has been a revelation.

And while Hodgson is doing alright offensively in Buffalo, Kassian has quietly been establishing himself in every regard, including defensively, and getting goals that aren't easy to get on a grinding third line. He may be more of a Torts-type player.

So Gillis isn't all that bad on trades. But it would be really nice if the Booth project eventually pans out.

MG= good at free agents, bad at trades

Only reason people think MG is bad at trades is because he has to take what others are willing to give, given the circumstances

IF Booth had played better it would have been an absolute steal

The Ballard trade was of necessity, with risk involved. Unfortunately it didnt work out but you can see why MG would have thought Ballard might be able to be a top 4 D man. Oh well

Kassian is a process

Erhoff was a steal

Higgins a steal

Lappy a good trade

Welsh & Dalpe are young depth players

Horvat was the best deal MG could get, given the deadline

Looks like a solid tenure to me. Perfect no, but what GM is?

This. Before we praise MG too much ask yourself how Ballard worked out, how about Booth? Not to mention the whole Hodgson deal. That being said MG seems to have had a great off season this year (or so it appears so far) Richardson and Santorelli are looking like steals and Stanton and looking solid. The 2013 draft picks are all looking great so yes he deserves credit for a great 2013 off season but prior to the that the Ehroff trade was really his only positive move among a number of huge mistakes.

I hear ya on this...but, I did mention how I think we might have had a different outcome with Torts in 2011...I think that Torts would have brought the best out of Ballard and not made him afraid of his own shadow. I only wish we still had Ballard and we could have seen him being utilized in 'better' situations with a little room for error...

Booth, I like what Torts is doing with him now. If only AV could have made him fight a little more for his position (seemed it was always available for him regardless of performance) and he didn't get injured so much...but I would hardly blame MG for the way the players were handled or injuries during a game, I blame the coaches for not capitalizing on the products their given. And lets face it....MG has provided enough pieces to get this team into the top end of the Playoffs. I think it's up to the coaches to deliver the rest...and the players, but as we see now, the players play according to the coaches their dealt.

I really do like the Hodgson deal.... I like Kass and he keeps getting better. He brings an element to this team that we don't really have and if we were to acquire that, it would cost a lot more than Hodgson. Plus, we couldn't afford his salary requirements if you're insinuating we should have tried to keep him.

Overall, I think every GM makes mistakes save a few... but those few are never available so I'm happy with what we have...hell, I don't have the energy to list them, but just peek over the mountains to the East and you'll see two teams... you should know what I'm talking about ;)

can't really call the Booth trade bad considering what the team gave up an aging soon to be retired Samuelsson and Sturm who isn't in the NHL anymore

Booth 1g 2a 11 games age 28 soon to be 29

Samuelsson 1g 0a 6 games age 36 soon to 37

the Ballard and Hodgson trade are on close to the same level in terms of bad trades

Ballard-Canucks gave up a 1st and Grabner and no longer have any of the players from the trade although Florida only has Howden currently from that trade

Hodgson-no matter what you think about Kassian or Hodgson right now Hodgson is the better player and would look good on the 2nd line

you can say the Roy and Pahlsson trades were bad both being rentals but it's not like he went after plugs during the deadline like Nonis and Burke did numerous times every year it seemed the team was getting plug trade after plug trade at least Gillis goes after decent players

as much as people say he sucks at trading no GM is perfect in trades they well always have good trades and bad trades it's about making more good trades than bad which i think he has done so far with the Canucks

Every GM has terrible trades in their repertoire, it's just a matter of odds.

Kassian, I think he's growing under Torts, you can see he is a straight shooter and Kassian seems to be moving in the right direction.

I love these moves that completely came out of nowhere,

Santo is continually showing that he's a top 6 forward.

Stanton just as steady as Tanev, love his puck movement and that goal he got a couple weeks ago showed off a sweet shot/aim.

Richardson has been a pleasant 3rd line center too, Great in killing penalty's likely the top on SHG this year, and seems to chip in every now and then.

Torts I thought this guy was a defensive type style coach, which is true to an extent but this Canucks team is as exciting as AV's Canucks team if not more so. I love how aggressive the defensemen are and the coverage in our zone seems to be better than before.

Also you can't dismiss the contracts that Gillis has signed our players too.

Higgins @ 2.5/4 playing like this?

Sedins @ 7m/4 Canuck Legends, good term and still being top-end players

Kesler @ 5/3 -- His energy, shot, speed, grit, tenacity, heart, beastliness, how can you quantify that? I know it's worth a lot more than 5m

here is a list of all GMMG trades - just go back to april 2008

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Vancouver_Canucks/1

The only REAL bad trade he made was the Ballard trade. Lets add 2 *'s to that trade as well - even though we ended up buying Ballard out, Florida still didn't win that trade; and if the cap didn't come down after the lock out, we would have been able to keep Ballard and maybe Torts could have done something with him. I blame AV more for Ballard then MG.

The Kassian trade is looking more and more like it was a good one for us (although the timing was bad), but really we'll know for sure in a couple years.

The Horvat trade, well unless you're psychic its too soon to tell if it was good or bad.

Most of the trades have been pretty minor, but there are still quite a few good ones there as well - the big one obviously being Ehrhoff, but also the Higgins trade is looking like a steal, the Lappy trade was great, even the Booth trade isn't that bad.

So can we please get off this MG makes bad trades tirade because it simply isn't true.

Only reason people think MG is bad at trades is because he has to take what others are willing to give, given the circumstances

IF Booth had played better it would have been an absolute steal

The Ballard trade was of necessity, with risk involved. Unfortunately it didnt work out but you can see why MG would have thought Ballard might be able to be a top 4 D man. Oh well

Kassian is a process

Erhoff was a steal

Higgins a steal

Lappy a good trade

Welsh & Dalpe are young depth players

Horvat was the best deal MG could get, given the deadline

Looks like a solid tenure to me. Perfect no, but what GM is?

Agreed. How can anyone say the Booth trade was a bad one? We gave up next to nothing for a potential 2nd liner, and he would have been that if not for all his injuries.

I don't think he's made many bad trades, but it's the way he handled certain situations that deserves criticism. Mainly the Luongo and Hodgson situations.

I, absolutely, love the moves that MG pulled off recently!!!!! But, one in particular makes me giggle like a little girl...and it's embarrassing :bigblush:

Some thoughts...

- We beat SJ with "MG's team" not Burke's.... how many points came from his picks-ups or trades in this win? :rolleyes:

- Nuck Luck...."if" last year wasn't a shortened season, and the teams had to ride a full season on (their stupid belief in) their "#1 keepers", MG could have had much better pick'ns for a trade. There's probably 3 or 4 teams this year that would have paid his asking price...

- Regardless of wins or losses, I am completely enjoying Nucks hockey! Torts really has these guys playing with heart and that's enough to keep me happy. Sure, wins would be great, but regardless of standing and basing it on just watching the Canucks play...this year is so much more enjoyable than the last couple.

- I like the "fight" this team has... We probably lead the league in giving up first goals, at least the first goals on the first shot, but this team is fighting it's way back and against top teams too. I have been pleading for this team to start standing up for themselves and each other...literally fighting back. Love what Stanton did and it's about time that the rest of the team start doing the same when the opposition starts abusing our key players...or any teammates for that matter. We need to give them a deterrent for cheap plays cause the refs aren't doing anything about it... Hated the mentality this team had with AV.

- It's so good to see rookies in our lineup and Torts giving them chances for redemption after a poor play...obviously boosting their confidence instead of demoralizing them. Kass is getting better and better and you can see him gaining confidence after every game.... I never really had much hope for Archie and thought he would be a lifer in the AHL.... at best. Good on Torts! for at least giving him a chance. I think he's gonna stick and if not, he'll be back next year.

- Speaking of rookies... I don't think I've ever felt this 'giddy' with the thought of our prospects. I can't wait to see one or more next year and it seems that MG addressed our 'rebuild' in one summer....at the very least...***mouth open (chipped front tooth) and speaks without moving his jaws***....I like it a lot! :)

- I can't believe MG got Stanton???? How did Chicago let him go??? I know that that their D is pretty solid...but there's no way someones gonna convince me that their best option was to waive Stanton??? Thanks Chicago :rolleyes:

- How did so many teams pass on Stanton before we had the chance to pick him up? Major credit to MG and his staff for grabbing him...and Santos....and Richards. You would think that teams like the Oilers, who are desperate for quality Dmen, would have nabbed him or at least had him on their radar? I'd think that Stanton would be a top pairing there.... but they did get Schultz.

- I wonder how J Schultz is liking his decision on choosing the Oil over his hometown team? The Canucks could have developed him into a quality Dman, but instead he decided to go against CDC's better judgement and chose a team that turns potential talent into mediocre talent. Yak, RNH, Gags, etc... How nice it would be to have J Schultz in our talent pool honing his skills with the Comets.

- Speaking of the Oil's...*giggle*... One of my favorite moves, so far, by MG is not giving away Schnieds to the Oilers and sticking to his guns of "major overpayment" or no trades within the same Division. I am ecstatic with our 9th pick and if you couple this with watching the Oilers lose so many games this season with "Doobie", it just makes me smile...a serious perma-grin....teehee :bigblush:

Don't forget about Dallas Eakins. I think that is icing on the cake, right there LOL

^ Little tidbit about the Booth trade: The 3rd round we received from the Panthers ended up being Cole Cassels, who's probably gonna pan out. (It was the pick we had given them for Higgins, however.)

To VAN: Booth, Cassels, Higgins

To FLA: Samuelsson, Sturm

People b*tch about this? LOL!

Archived