The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis makes me giggle...teehee

nuck luck

Agreed. How can anyone say the Booth trade was a bad one? We gave up next to nothing for a potential 2nd liner, and he would have been that if not for all his injuries.

I love Booth's potential but the acquisition has meant the team was bereft of a second line winger for $4.2 m last year and this year.

Players that suffer major head injuries usually go through a recovery period of multiple years where they are vulnerable to sustain other injuries thereafter due to the magnitude and severity of the loss of cognitive depth.

This club does not understand head injuries and keep making roster moves that shows their ignorance in this regard.

Van has finished the last two years with being unceremoniously trashed and trounced come playoff time.

Let's hope the roster moves made in this past off season will help in that regard.Tee hee.

Only reason people think MG is bad at trades is because he has to take what others are willing to give, given the circumstances

IF Booth had played better it would have been an absolute steal

The Ballard trade was of necessity, with risk involved. Unfortunately it didnt work out but you can see why MG would have thought Ballard might be able to be a top 4 D man. Oh well

Kassian is a process

Erhoff was a steal

Higgins a steal

Lappy a good trade

Welsh & Dalpe are young depth players

Horvat was the best deal MG could get, given the deadline

Looks like a solid tenure to me. Perfect no, but what GM is?

Don't forget about Dallas Eakins. I think that is icing on the cake, right there LOL

^ Little tidbit about the Booth trade: The 3rd round we received from the Panthers ended up being Cole Cassels, who's probably gonna pan out. (It was the pick we had given them for Higgins, however.)

To VAN: Booth, Cassels, Higgins

To FLA: Samuelsson, Sturm

People b*tch about this? LOL!

Schultz made his choice, TBH if the Oilers had gotten a half decent goalie and a proven coach it might be a different story over there, I know they've been a bottom feeder for awhile but with so much oozing young talent it's only a matter of time before they start meshing together and stringing together wins (again, with a decent goalie and a coach preaching defense as well as offense)

Also CDC better judgment?! That made me giggle :bigblush:

Good points otherwise. Such sleeper picks in the Santa/Stanton/Richardson pickups that look to pay off dividends

:lol: I been hearing that for ages, not gonna happen! and if it does, something called a salary cap will hit them in the face! :lol:

We traded 2 underperforming injured older players for a younger underperforming injured player. We won the first year of the trade due to the injuries of Samuelsson and Sturm. However, due to hindsight it would have been better to not trade since they had expiring contracts.

Booth made us a better team in the first year he was here, Samuelsson was actually injured when we traded him and Sturm is long gone from the NHL now.

I think GM Mike has done an admirable job with trades. I think when you look at both the booth and Ballard trades, gillis did a good job getting players with big upside. At the time of the booth trade, I, like most, was pretty excited. I mean this guy scored 30 goals on a crap team...imagine what he could do for us! Most ppl look at those trades as failures mostly because of the huge cap hits both had, as well as the long term left on their contracts. With Ballard being scratched many times and booth either being hurt or simply not playing well, it's only natural that the fans start thinking about what we could have for their over 8 mil combined annual salaries.

Our team was/is already great, and imagine 1 or 2 extra unreal players instead of them. Unfortunately, both didn't play well enough, and were still stuck with Booth and his big salary..and on top of that, he was hurt during the last buyout which felt like a big slap to all the canucks fans face.

Is this all gillis' fault? No, just really unlucky! Erhoff awesome; higgys looking real good; Lapps was good for a time

His free agent signings( santo and richardson) and waiver pick up (Stanton) are so far unbelievable

The thing with hodgson...hmmmm bad timing. Hodgson was more ready in 2011 and 2012 to help us offensively, and well it would have been nice to have another weapon on offense for the last couple playoff runs but kassian now is looking good. Is he better than hodgson...No not yet. Will he ever be? Prob not offensively but maybe in every other aspect of the game. Time will tell!

The only thing that gillis really did wrong was how he handled the Lu crap. Such a distraction and an embarrassment tbh but horvat does look good and time will tell how he pans out...could we have gotten more for Schneider? Yes, but water under the bridge.

Horvat, shinrakuk, cassels, welsh, etc all look good

Bottom line...our GM is much better than most, and our team is still pretty darn good. Lets win the cup already!!!!

I, absolutely, love the moves that MG pulled off recently!!!!! But, one in particular makes me giggle like a little girl...and it's embarrassing :bigblush:

Some thoughts...

- We beat SJ with "MG's team" not Burke's.... how many points came from his picks-ups or trades in this win? :rolleyes:

- Nuck Luck...."if" last year wasn't a shortened season, and the teams had to ride a full season on (their stupid belief in) their "#1 keepers", MG could have had much better pick'ns for a trade. There's probably 3 or 4 teams this year that would have paid his asking price...

- Regardless of wins or losses, I am completely enjoying Nucks hockey! Torts really has these guys playing with heart and that's enough to keep me happy. Sure, wins would be great, but regardless of standing and basing it on just watching the Canucks play...this year is so much more enjoyable than the last couple.

- I like the "fight" this team has... We probably lead the league in giving up first goals, at least the first goals on the first shot, but this team is fighting it's way back and against top teams too. I have been pleading for this team to start standing up for themselves and each other...literally fighting back. Love what Stanton did and it's about time that the rest of the team start doing the same when the opposition starts abusing our key players...or any teammates for that matter. We need to give them a deterrent for cheap plays cause the refs aren't doing anything about it... Hated the mentality this team had with AV.

- It's so good to see rookies in our lineup and Torts giving them chances for redemption after a poor play...obviously boosting their confidence instead of demoralizing them. Kass is getting better and better and you can see him gaining confidence after every game.... I never really had much hope for Archie and thought he would be a lifer in the AHL.... at best. Good on Torts! for at least giving him a chance. I think he's gonna stick and if not, he'll be back next year.

- Speaking of rookies... I don't think I've ever felt this 'giddy' with the thought of our prospects. I can't wait to see one or more next year and it seems that MG addressed our 'rebuild' in one summer....at the very least...***mouth open (chipped front tooth) and speaks without moving his jaws***....I like it a lot! :)

- I can't believe MG got Stanton???? How did Chicago let him go??? I know that that their D is pretty solid...but there's no way someones gonna convince me that their best option was to waive Stanton??? Thanks Chicago :rolleyes:

- How did so many teams pass on Stanton before we had the chance to pick him up? Major credit to MG and his staff for grabbing him...and Santos....and Richards. You would think that teams like the Oilers, who are desperate for quality Dmen, would have nabbed him or at least had him on their radar? I'd think that Stanton would be a top pairing there.... but they did get Schultz.

- I wonder how J Schultz is liking his decision on choosing the Oil over his hometown team? The Canucks could have developed him into a quality Dman, but instead he decided to go against CDC's better judgement and chose a team that turns potential talent into mediocre talent. Yak, RNH, Gags, etc... How nice it would be to have J Schultz in our talent pool honing his skills with the Comets.

- Speaking of the Oil's...*giggle*... One of my favorite moves, so far, by MG is not giving away Schnieds to the Oilers and sticking to his guns of "major overpayment" or no trades within the same Division. I am ecstatic with our 9th pick and if you couple this with watching the Oilers lose so many games this season with "Doobie", it just makes me smile...a serious perma-grin....teehee :bigblush:

I've got a perma-grin too.

But from something a little more.... green

stoned-awesome-face-TuZp2j.jpg

Speaking of the Oilers. What's the CDC's thoughts on them pickin up Bryzgalov? I didn't ever expect him to return to the show, i'm in shock. Is he better than Doobie? I'd say he's better when he's playing well, but worse when he's playing crapty. And on the Oilers who have awful D, I don't see him shining

Psst.The Rangers coach is now our coach.

Tootsie had 19 post season victories over 5 years in NY.

AV had 33 post season victories as the Canucks coach.

Let's watch what Torts does in Vancouver now. Same team, same station, then make your comparisons. IMHO much more talented team here than in NY during those years. Very poor comparison. By the way, who is wearing a Stanley Cup Ring?

Hire Brian Burke as assistant GM who handles trading. Gillis handles the waiver wire, signings and re-signings.

Sure, then we can trade our next two 1st rounders for a piss-poor one-dimensional whiner forward who has never amounted to anything.

While we're at it, we can trade for PhaGOOF, too!

Let's watch what Torts does in Vancouver now. Same team, same station, then make your comparisons. IMHO much more talented team here than in NY during those years. Very poor comparison. By the way, who is wearing a Stanley Cup Ring?

nuck nit has a Stanley Cup Ring. He bought it from Tim Thomas off ebay and proudly flaunts it to everyone who enters his Man Cave (formerly known as his mother's basement, but allowed to rename it after turning 13)

People need to stop going nuts over the pick up of Stanton.

How could Chicago waive him!?!? How did he manage to fall into our lap!??? How did teams pass on this stud!?!

No one knew who he was when we picked him up. Actin like he was an all star that got waived

Archived