The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth, brains and business.

Canorcas

Booth is still a solid 3rd liner when healthy even if never scores 30 goals again and gets 20 I'm sure the Canucks would more than take that.

His salary is a problem because of the cap space it takes up and prevents the Canucks from thinking of even making a significant acquisition but at a reduced rate of 2 mil a year on a 2 year deal I would take him just like Raymond on a third line.

He has 1 year left on his deal he needs to show he can get over injuries, stay healthy, and start contributing positively again before the Canucks even think of bringing him back through next year or else they need to use their compliance buyout on him this summer and admit like the Ballard experiment that it just didn't work out.

What makes you think that you have a better grasp of the severity of Booths current brain health and the risk involved in him playing in comparison to the extremely high end doctors he has visited since his injury? Are you really recomending all those players you listed retire because of their injuries? Or am I misunderstanding you? Cause if you are thats ridiculous.

It is in the team's and the player's financial interests to continue playing as soon as possible.

There is no third body that can interject and make a ruling based upon the player's condition to protect his family and himself.

All people that have head injuries suffer and will continue to suffer their whole lives.People at high risk for further head injuries seriously put their lives in danger.

After suffering four serious head injuries Hamhuis should not be playing contact hockey any longer but every player's initial head injury is unique.

However,each additional head injury suffered is cumulative and a professional that still plays after multiple, serious head injuries is taking his life in his own hands each and every shift he plays in the NHL.

It is in the team's and the player's financial interests to continue playing as soon as possible.

There is no third body that can interject and make a ruling based upon the player's condition to protect his family and himself.

All people that have head injuries suffer and will continue to suffer their whole lives.People at high risk for further head injuries seriously put their lives in danger.

After suffering four serious head injuries Hamhuis should not be playing contact hockey any longer but every player's initial head injury is unique.

However,each additional head injury suffered is cumulative and a professional that still plays after multiple serious head injuries is taking his life in his own hands each and every shift he plays in the NHL.

The doctors definitely let the players and management know of the severity of the risk if they keep playing. It's entirely up to them if they want to continue playing. But if, like you said, they could easily end up like a vegetable, I doubt they would keep playing when they are already very rich. You can't put a price on good health.

Edit: Not all head injuries are so severe that they have life long effects. Most of them probably have no life long symptoms.

The types of concussions that hockey players suffer are rarely mild in nature while the sport is constant heavy contact so the risk and rate of further,cumulative damage is extremely high.

We are not discussing mild head trauma as in an everyday life mishap in the basement or garden shed.

A google search entitled 'Mild head injuries can be fatal' turned up 5 million results:

And, you don't have to be knocked unconscious to sustain a brain injury. Mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), also known as concussion , can damage your brain at the cellular level .

Worse, repetitive head injuries , even minor ones, can have serious repercussions – including permanent brain damage or death.

http://www.fi.edu/le...brain/head.html

The cellular level of damage is what the Montreal Canadiens doctor was lecturing upon that I posted up earlier.

Long-term follow-up of head injury is not frequently reported. In general, impairments can be found in different cognitive measures many years after the injury (McMurtray et al 2006). Dementia after a single traumatic brain injury follows considerable axonal injury and multiple contusions. In some patients, cognitive impairment progressively worsens after a severe traumatic brain injury and may ultimately result in dementia years later.

Dementia also follows repeated blows to the head. Up to 50% of professional boxers develop dementia pugilistica, particularly if they started fighting in their teens, boxed for more than 10 years, accumulated more than 150 fights, and were known to "take a punch" dementia pugilistica includes psychomotor retardation, paranoia, belligerence, euphoria, depression, alcohol intolerance, dysarthria, scanning speech, ataxia, decreased coordination, parkinsonism, and pyramidal tract signs Fann et al 1995),

6% to 39% with mild traumatic brain injuries suffer semantic memory.

Decline was observed only in men, whereas women maintained their cognitive level (Himanen et al 2005).

http://www.medlink.c...linkcontent.asp

Head trauma: neurobehavioral aspects

It'd be interesting to see how many hockey players that had head injuries developed serious concussion related complications later in life. To my knowledge none of died or even been close to dying from a concussion. The boxing part is common knowledge, but not necessarily the same situation as hockey is in. Boxers get hit in the head a lot more, but probably not as hard as hockey players who get concussions get hit.

So, the years-old concussion is to blame for him losing NHL goal-scoring ability? Doubt that.

He looked fine for us in 11-12 when he was on a streak alongside Kesler mid-season. Then he suffured a sprained knee and missed 18 games. He hasn't been the same for us since that 'meh' injury. And that's part of the frustration with him. Nothing but injuries, and they're not head-related at all.

Meanwhile, the Crosby recovery seems to be alright. And how about Willie Mitchell? He was better than ever duing LA's cup run. So no, concussions don't all have to be career-changers.

That being said, of course we knew the guy was going to be a project. Look how awful he was for the Panthers when we acquired him. The time for excuses is over though. It's time for results, or time to let the project die.

I agree with you. He played well here prior to the string of injuries. I don't see what his concussion from years ago has to do with his knee, ankle or groin injuries. I'd say his scoring struggles have more to do with the string of injuries. It's difficult to retain accuracy and timing when you can't stay healthy for any length of time.

I agree with you. He played well here prior to the string of injuries. I don't see what his concussion from years ago has to do with his knee, ankle or groin injuries. I'd say his scoring struggles have more to do with the string of injuries. It's difficult to retain accuracy and timing when you can't stay healthy for any length of time.

I tend to go along with your theory rather than a single concussion causing a drop off. There are so many variables how does one determine the cause? Sometimes it is as simple as life style and what is important to the player. Surprisingly enough the job is not everything to some people. Players make the NHL, snag a nice contract, achieve their childhood ambition and then what? It has to be a huge mental challenge to maintain the drive that got them there in the first place.

sounds like propaganda written to justify an over-rated and overpaid athlete. if booth will never be the same player then his contract should be voided and re-written due the permanent change in the player.

contracts are not only based on points and stats they are also based on the intangibles that are believed to be brought to the respected teams. so if the player now has to alter his game in such a way that his value in signed contract is not met , then the nhl has to look at the nfl and get rid of guarantees, which would hold players to a higher standard to uphold their contracts.

So, the years-old concussion is to blame for him losing NHL goal-scoring ability? Doubt that.

He looked fine for us in 11-12 when he was on a streak alongside Kesler mid-season. Then he suffured a sprained knee and missed 18 games. He hasn't been the same for us since that 'meh' injury. And that's part of the frustration with him. Nothing but injuries, and they're not head-related at all.

Meanwhile, the Crosby recovery seems to be alright. And how about Willie Mitchell? He was better than ever duing LA's cup run. So no, concussions don't all have to be career-changers.

That being said, of course we knew the guy was going to be a project. Look how awful he was for the Panthers when we acquired him. The time for excuses is over though. It's time for results, or time to let the project die.

That's more of my perspective as well. The concussion didn't derail his career since he still hits, fights and drives to the net with abandon. If he was worried about another concussion he would be playing more like Mason Raymond, who strangely enough is still putting up points.

Schroeder, Hansen et al have never put up the numbers booth has, give up on them as well? They are injured... Schroeder is prone. I am glad you are not in charge. Hockey is a game of injuries and reoccurring injuries...

Really? You're going to compare a player coming off a 30+ game rookie season and a 3rd liner (who happened to be 3rd in scoring for us last year) who is very good at what he does? Jebus...

Either you don't read my posts or have the memory of a gold fish. I've always said that he deserves a shot with us. I've always said he deserves to show if he has what it takes. But thats exactly it, he has a lot to prove. He isn't a shoe in for 2C like some people think. Man lol at how completely wrong you are about my stance on Schroeder. but coming from you I'm not surprised that you have no idea what my opinion is and just immediately assume I hate Schroeder and think he is a bust.

Yeah he does that. He'll make his own mind up on what your post(s) have been about and then he'll refuse to back up any of his claims. He's trolling you, better to ignore him rather than denigrate a thread on Booth into an altogether separate topic.

I tend to go along with your theory rather than a single concussion causing a drop off. There are so many variables how does one determine the cause? Sometimes it is as simple as life style and what is important to the player. Surprisingly enough the job is not everything to some people. Players make the NHL, snag a nice contract, achieve their childhood ambition and then what? It has to be a huge mental challenge to maintain the drive that got them there in the first place.

Absolutely on both. I'm not saying Booth isn't trying, but perhaps he just doesn't have the drive to be so competitive any more. Perhaps it is just with his timing after repeated injuries unrelated to his previous concussion. Certainly he's shown he can be good since the concussion as has already been stated, so I'll keep giving him the chance to come back unless something better opens up.

If nothing else, he can still play hockey even when he isn't putting up points.

Yeah he does that. He'll make his own mind up on what your post(s) have been about and then he'll refuse to back up any of his claims. He's trolling you, better to ignore him rather than denigrate a thread on Booth into an altogether separate topic.

Absolutely on both. I'm not saying Booth isn't trying, but perhaps he just doesn't have the drive to be so competitive any more. Perhaps it is just with his timing after repeated injuries unrelated to his previous concussion. Certainly he's shown he can be good since the concussion as has already been stated, so I'll keep giving him the chance to come back unless something better opens up.

If nothing else, he can still play hockey even when he isn't putting up points.

In response to those who think Booth only had the one concussion, you are mistaken.

Booth also missed the last 9 games of 2010 because of a second concussion-- less than five months after his major injury from the Mike Richards hit. This second concussion was from a hit by Jaro Spacek, then with the Canadiens. Booth had to be helped off the ice and was taken to hospital that night.

Two major brain injuries in less than half a year.. This will undoubtedly have long-lasting consequences.

There's such a thing called justified criticism. Yes, Booth carries an expensive contract. Yes, he hasn't been performing up to average $4.2 million standards. But one thing I find as totally unfair is when people compare one player to another. People are completely different. Hockey players are completely different. No two players are the same (save maybe the Sedins.. for obvious reasons) and it's perplexing that people can say "Well, both Booth and Ladd have the same contract but Ladd is playing better..." It's an unjustified sort of argument. What do some players have in common? The amount of dollars they make? That might be it.

Im not so sure how its unjustified really, players that idly eat up cap space are a significant hindrance. Teams that have several good young players on their first contract have a significant advantage.

I'm not saying he didn't have more than one, just that using the major one (or the second one for that matter) to explain his current performance isn't correct. You yourself fail to mention the second concussion in your write up so you should hardly expect people to consider that when debating your argument.

Those concussions were 3+ years ago. He's had good play since, including his first few months here, so the concussions previous to that have already been shown to not affect his more recent play.

Im not so sure its unjustified really, players that idly eat up cap space are a significant hindrance. Teams that have several good young players on their first contract have a significant advantage.

From a dollars-only, business perspective I see your point. But then it seems pretty heartless to label Chris Pronger or Marc Savard a "team hindrance" because they can't play anymore. Yet their salary still counts towards their respective team finances.

I'll just add this: professional athletes have on average about 6 years before most of them walk away from their respective sport. 6 years and then usually they have to move on to another chapter of their lives.

You and I as working class people have the rest of our lives to work in a career that hopefully has a long-term payoff. Some are lucky enough to stay with one company for the rest of their lives.

Athletes don't have that luxury. They have a short window to make money from what they do for a living until their body can no longer keep up. In some rare cases, athletes can play for a very long time (Chelios, Gordie Howe, etc) but those are the exception and not the rule.

David Booth signed his current contract after scoring 30 goals and 60 points with Florida. At the time, he thought it was a fair deal and obviously someone agreed if they were willing to sign on the dotted line.

In an ideal world, player salary should play no role when it comes to judging who is outperforming who. But the NHL insisted on imposing a salary-cap during the '05 lockout-- something the NHLPA fought against for a very long time because it would lead to situations like this; where players are judged almost entirely on the amount of money they make. It's an unfair assessment to them personally because not every player can perform at their cost-- that's not their fault.

Can you say you have had a good year each and every year of your life? Surely there must have been one year when you felt everything you did just sucked. Felt like life was against you the whole time. Maybe you lost your job, got involved in a motor vehicle accident, got cheated on, etc. Athletes deal with ups and downs as anyone does.. But because they work in the industry of sports, they're expected to not only have a good year every year but should actually get better all the time.

Remarkable.

I'm not saying he didn't have more than one, just that using the major one (or the second one for that matter) to explain his current performance isn't correct. You yourself fail to mention the second concussion in your write up so you should hardly expect people to consider that when debating your argument.

Because I knew people would allude to the fact his major concussion might not be a factor today. I left his second concussion as my ace in the hole if a debate occurred-- as it did.

Read any report that was written after Booth's second concussion-- his career was in serious jeopardy. It's actually unbelievable that he continues to play.

Those concussions were 3+ years ago. He's had good play since, including his first few months here, so the concussions previous to that have already been shown to not affect his more recent play.

And I would argue that's actually a credit to David's work ethic. He's worked hard to recover as well as he can from those injuries and has enjoyed playing since then. But you also can't just wipe away the entire incident just because he is back playing. Many players continue to perform despite having lingering effects from previous injuries. Hell, we all thought it was admirable when Kesler was playing on basically one leg during the 2010 Stanley Cup run. We all clearly knew he was injured. But why can't that be the case for Booth-- who suffered a much more serious injury to his brain?

Geez.. when the heck did the pendulum swing back the other way? A week ago there wasn't a soul defending Booth and now we're all sympathetic to his plight. I'm not complaining but... wow.

Compelling article it seems... or does the fact we lost 2 in a row remind us of how we could use a resurgent Booth?

Because I knew people would allude to the fact his major concussion might not be a factor today. I left his second concussion as my ace in the hole if a debate occurred-- as it did.

Read any report that was written after Booth's second concussion-- his career was in serious jeopardy. It's actually unbelievable that he continues to play.

I'm not sure why you'd write your own blog post and then intentionally leave out a significant fact. Even if that made sense, it doesn't change the counter-point that he's had success since showing he's recovered enough from the concussions specifically to still be a legitimate NHL player.

And I would argue that's actually a credit to David's work ethic. He's worked hard to recover as well as he can from those injuries and has enjoyed playing since then. But you also can't just wipe away the entire incident just because he is back playing. Many players continue to perform despite having lingering effects from previous injuries. Hell, we all thought it was admirable when Kesler was playing on basically one leg during the 2010 Stanley Cup run. We all clearly knew he was injured. But why can't that be the case for Booth-- who suffered a much more serious injury to his brain?

It's not wiping those concussions away, it's comparing them to the more recent factors and evidence that he's moved past them as a reason for his poor play now.

Kesler being injured in the SCF was absolutely a factor in his play then, just as Booth's concussions were a factor in his play at that time as well. Even by your example though, Booth's more recent injuries (knee, groin, high ankle sprain, etc) are more relevant to why his play has suffered after his initial success here.

Again, I've never said the concussions weren't bad, just that his health back then isn't applicable to the current argument that they've affected his recent play specifically.

Archived