The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth, brains and business.

Canorcas

This thread is really catty.

As for booth its a little of all columns.

The concussion, the injuries hampering, the power forward tunnel visison.

Hes gotta be the worst passer on the team. As his last game before his injury I saw him miss his linemates with a pass 3 different times and each time they were a few feet away at the most.

Yes he's not in a position to succeed with where he is in the lineup but when you get sent down to utica as a nhl vet with the scoring history he has, he shoulda dominated and faired better than 1 assist.

:bigblush: I don't believe you can downvote so thanks for reading and completely missing the point.

:shock: I see. :unsure: My mistake. Would you kindly illuminate the point for me?

Well, I didn't ask for anyone to be sympathetic to David Booth even once in my article. It's mostly an opinion piece with legitimate facts peppered throughout it. If that's what you're taking from it though, so be it.

Hmm... I quoted your article; bolded and underlined everything that wasn't a "legitimate fact" or a widely supported common viewpoint. In theory, this should derive the opinion (or, "the point") from your piece.

It must be a difficult time to be a David Booth fan these days. There’s not much love in this city for the eccentric 28-year old, who came over from the Florida Panthers in 2011.

Since then, Booth has scored 18 goals and 35 points in 79 games. If those 79 games were over the course of a single season and not bits and pieces over two years, they wouldn’t be so bad. But considering Booth has spent more time in the infirmary than on the ice, there hasn’t been much traction to the Support Booth movement.

To be fair, Booth’s $4.25 million dollar contract was signed in the heels of a strong 2009 campaign with the Panthers. The Michigan native had put up 31 goals and 60 points with the lowly Panthers and seemed like the next big thing in the sunshine state.

Less than 3 months later, everything changed.

October 24th, 2009. That is a date David Booth will never forget. It was the day that Booth’s career came to an abrupt halt.

Mike Richards, then with the Philadelphia Flyers, caught Booth with his head down and delivered what would surely be a suspension-worthy hit in today’s game.

aarichardsapproachres.jpg

The hit that changed everything.

Booth was sidelined indefinitely with a concussion and missed the next 45 games as a result.

That hit did more than just change Booth’s career. It changed NHL policy.

Shortly after that incident, Colin Campbell stepped down as the league’s disciplinarian and Brendan Shanahan took the job a few short weeks later. To this day, Shanahan has tried to send a message that headshots will no longer be the norm in professional hockey.

There was a general sense of agreement that headshots had to be eliminated from the game in order to protect players like Booth and Marc Savard. It was an ugly time for the league.

It is perplexing that Canucks fans aren’t more sympathetic to Booth who clearly has yet to pull himself together completely from that incident.

Beloved captain Markus Naslund had a similar regression after suffering his own headshot in 2004. We’re all too familiar with the Bertuzzi incident that occurred as a consequence of that. But it’s true, after suffering a hit to his head, Naslund was never quite the same.

Even after a lockout canceled the entire 2004-2005 season, Naslund came back in 2006 and looked slower and weaker. For the next four seasons, Nazzy would put up fewer numbers until he finally retired early in 2009, walking away from the second-year of his contract with the Rangers. Was his heart in the game? It seems obvious now that it was not. And that in itself was strange, as Naslund was a fierce competitor in his prime and wanted nothing more than to raise the Stanley Cup in Vancouver.

Concussions have serious after effects. It is quite literally a brain injury and it has long lasting effects even years after the original date of injury. It should be no surprise to anyone that David Booth has yet to fully emerge in Vancouver. He’s been looking for his game for the past several years now and was quietly shipped out of Florida due to these lingering effects. They simply didn’t want to deal with the trouble of looking after an expensive but broken player.

It is alarming that despite Booth’s relative young age and physical condition that he hasn’t been able to play a complete game. But age and physique is of little consequence when one’s brain is seriously injured. It hurts anyone and everyone in different ways.

There is still an opportunity for David Booth to become an important player for Vancouver. But don’t be fooled—he’ll never be that 30-goal scorer who rushes down the ice and slams the net. That style of play led to the most serious injury of his career—it’s hard to ask anyone to keep doing that and ignore the consequences. Not even Markus Naslund played the same after his own injury. Fans and management noticed a less-involved Naslund, often setting up perimeter plays and unwilling to get into high-traffic areas.

Booth is no exception here. He is human, just like the rest of us. When he stubs his toe, it hurts. When he hits his funny bone, it still smarts. And anyone who has suffered a concussion as seriously as he has would know how traumatic that experience must have been.

In the salary cap world of professional hockey though, players are criticized over and over why they aren’t scoring enough goals or enough points in contrast to their wage. It’s almost unfair how anyone can find out just how much money an athlete makes- that sort of information is generally kept private in most occupations. Would there be as many complaints if Booth was making league minimum? Probably not.

When his playing days are over, Booth will walk away from hockey with a brain injury that may continue to nag him for the rest of his life. Not convinced? Just ask Marc Savard or Chris Pronger what those injuries are like—they’ll be happy to educate you.

In the case of David Booth, we should be relieved that a player is still able to play after suffering such a devastating and serious injury. Not everything in hockey is business. And nothing in your brain is invulnerable.

I avoided bolding the Naslund sections because statements about the perception of Naslund's game seemed to be off the topic of Booth. I admitted them as fact since the comparison's to Booth seem reliant on their truth.

In summation:

-Booth's career ended the day he was concussed by Richards.

-Canucks fans should be sympathetic since he hasn't recovered from said concussion.

-Booth's brain injury and subsequent decline is like Naslund's in that the hit irrevocably changed Booth's playstyle for the worse.

-Booth's failure to establish himself in Vancouver is unsurprising

-Booth will never be the net driving type again.

-The Richard's hit was caused by Booth's net-driving play-style.

-People who have had a serious concussion know what it is like to recover from a concussion.

-The availability of contract numbers is questionable ethically and people likely wouldn't complain about Booth if he cost less.

-After his injury, we should be relieved that David Booth is still able to play hockey.

...I am still unsure I have grasped what you are trying to convey. Could you please help me and dumb it down a bit?

I got a question. Is it true the general public doesnt like Christians?

(Im being serious)

No, its just that Christians want to believe that to support their persecution complex. (Haven't you heard there's a War on Christmas!)

I have nothing against those that want to give away time and money from their lives to a giant invisible old man or the great spaghetti monster or whatever fantasy they choose to get through life. Its their choice.

But perhaps with Booth, like all religious fanatics, has his mind too much on the next life rather than his present hockey life. If you listen to that recent interview of Kesler by B-Mac you witness someone who puts hockey waaaaaaaaay ahead of everything (but family). And as a fan, I'd rather have a player who is thinking about the next game as being the most important thing, not next Sunday's church service.

I guess the question is if Torts will give Booth a kind-hearted pass like we fans are supposed to. Doubt that too.

Let us pray that the Booth project actually works out.

You obviously aren't afraid to give your opinion; however, this has nothing to do with what Torts should do. This has everything to do with why things have been going with Booth as of late. No one has asked you to sympathize and it's apparent you won't sympathize anyway.

However, would it at least be decent enough to show some consideration? The article was well written and came up with some crucial points. All your post did was whine and complain.

Archived