34 replies to this topic

#1 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hunter Shinkaruk was in the house tonight at Rogers Arena.

Hereís the story of how he almost didnít make it.

At the trade deadline, the Canucks were chasing Ryane Clowe. The New York Rangers ending up landing him even though, and this was reported at the time, the Canucks had offered the Sharks more.

With his NTC, Clowe had final say and chose NY for family reasons and probably also because he believed the Rangers were more likely to meet his demand as a pending UFA, which at the time was $34 million contract.

The Rangers got him for their second round pick in 2013 and Floridaís third, and a conditional pick that I think ended up being a 5th (donít have time to look it up).

I always wondered what the Canucks offered which they thought was a better deal. Well, tonight I was told it was their first round draft pick, which does make sense (how else were you going to beat a package that was essentially two seconds?)

It was the pick the Canucks used to draft Shinkaruk.

Now, just imagine getting swept in the playoffs with that stiff Clowe and then imagine seeing Shinkaruk, or whomever San Jose picked in that deep, deep draft, sniping pucks four a games a season in three years.

- Botchford

Personally not Botch's biggest fan, but found thks story interesting.

Imagine that, we would've have Clowe instead of Shinkaruk... (shudders)

Edited by Mattias ÷hlund, 15 November 2013 - 04:15 AM.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#2 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

Very glad we didn't end up doing that trade. Not worth it with that contract.

#3 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

POPULAR

Tonight he was told? Told by who?

He's fighting for stories now. Seriously, his rep is so low now it's humorous and laughable how he tries to make these stories.

#4 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

Tonight he was told? Told by who?

He's fighting for stories now. Seriously, his rep is so low now it's humorous and laughable how he tries to make these stories.

I agree, but for some reason I want to believe this one

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#5 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

MG made the mistake of trading his first round pick for Ballard already.. I'm 100% confident that wasn't an offer and that this is a false story.

Tonight I was told.. what a joke.

#6 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

It's sad, but if it where anyone with credibility, i might actually believe it. Time after time, Botchford has proven that he has no sources. Everything he writes aren't confirmed by anyone, and sometimes get completely shut down by other more people that are a lot more credible. It's simple though. He's a hockey journalist. He doesn't have any inside sources. The Thornton incident just showed how little connections that Botchford had. He had none. Then he has to nerve to go against Lebrun, who is one of the best in the business and is actually good friends with Thornton. What a joke.

He says that the Rangers practically gave 2 2nd rounders. This is the biggest mistake in his story. There isn't a GM in the league that would take a 2nd, 3rd, and a 5th instead of a 1st round pick. What really happened, is that the Canucks probably offered Connauton and a 2nd, but Clowe choose to go to New York instead, so they put the same package together to get Roy.

Also, I hate these what if situations. They are always meaningless to begin with. Why not talk about that 2nd round pick we traded? When the Canucks traded their 1st for Ballard, no one would even gave a second look to Howden. The same thing would have happened with the pick used to get Shinkaruk. We don't know how the prospects will turn out yet. They always look promising the year they get drafted.

Edited by Rey, 15 November 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#7 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

The best trade is the one not made at all?

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#8 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

Very glad we didn't end up doing that trade. Not worth it with that contract.

He would of been a UFA in the offseason if we traded for him. would of probably kept us from going after Roy too

#9 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

but we got Roy baby! then booted Roy baby.. :shock:

#10 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

Then lost Roy Baby and Connauton and a second.

#11 Outsiders

Outsiders

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

glade we didn't get clowe very happy with shinkaruk he will be a star in this leauge

bhzi9k.jpg

Hunter Shinkaruk - Eddie Lack - Jake Virtanen 

Your next Generation of Canucks 

Credit To -Vintage Canuck-

#12 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

That is why I am usually against first round picks unless the player coming back is a near lock to be a bonifide stud. ex) Evander Kane, or brayden Schenn etc. There is too much potential for a first round pick. I don't think you should take the risk on a first round player that can seriously turn out to be a really good player. Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk or even Schroeder, could still turn out to be a stud in the lineup. too risky.
21bj6s4.jpg

Credit to: Vintage Canuck

#13 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

There is no way Gillis was trading his #1 pick in a deep draft to rent that scrub.

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#14 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

first round pick for a third line plug... have a hard time believing this.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#15 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

POPULAR

The Rangers got him for their second round pick in 2013 and Florida's third, and a conditional pick that I think ended up being a 5th (don't have time to look it up).

Really Botch? You don't have time to make sure this hack article you submitted just before your deadline isn't 100% accurate?

I would rather read an Eklund rumor than Botch's speculation. At least Eklund is mildly entertaining.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Now, just imagine getting swept in the playoffs with that stiff Clowe and then imagine seeing Shinkaruk, or whomever San Jose picked in that deep, deep draft, sniping pucks four a games a season in three years.

- Botchford

Is this a direct quote from Botch's article? If so a big :picard: to anyone who would pay this hack to write.
Posted Image

#17 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Wow. I was never a Clowe fan so this was a good read. Personally, I believe Shinkaruk will be better than Horvat (nothing against Horvat). Shinkaruk shouldn't of fallen to us, and he's ready to show the league that next year. Would much rather have a Shinkaruk then another washed up vet.

Also, LMAO at Clowe "Rangers had a better chance meeting his demands". It's funny because its 100% true. Players know Sather is not scared to throw a huge contract down the throats of good (not great) players, and they also know MG's policy about discounts. MG may be stubborn in ways, but thankfully he's smart enough to not sign a 2nd liner to a $34M contract.

Weird it was the poor Devils that gave him that contract in the end.

Edited by Joffrey Lupul, 15 November 2013 - 10:09 AM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

sniping pucks four a games a season in three years.

- Botchford

......Da fuk?

Edited by Kanucklehead10, 15 November 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#19 Kanucklehead10

Kanucklehead10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Personally, I believe Shinkaruk will be better than Horvat (nothing against Horvat). Shinkaruk shouldn't of fallen to us, and he's ready to show the league that next year. Would much rather have a Shinkaruk then another washed up vet.

Well in terms of offensive production, I too think Shinkaruk will thrive in that area in comparison to Horvat; in terms of all around play...... probably Horvat because that's what we got him for.

#20 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure the Canucks never offered a first round pick, I was following the Clowe sweepstakes closely (one of my favorite players) and if I recall correctly,Mg never offered that.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#21 Frazzy Desjardins

Frazzy Desjardins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Lol we traded schneider for a high first round pick...

So Clowe is worth a little less than Schneider??

Botchford is gonna get canned from the province soon too.

#22 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

I actually believe him. We've heard about a few other close calls where gillis was super lucky to have had the deal fall through. I don't trust gillis with trades one bit

Gilman was saying after the Roy trade that we are going all in...

Edited by Robongo, 15 November 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Luongo-Userbar.gif
14vmxhf.jpg

#23 N7Nucks

N7Nucks

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hertl and Shink (permitted they take him). Oh man that would've been sick. I don't buy in to Clowe's hype and glad he didn't want to come here.

#24 Ronalds.Kenins41

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

If true it shows how MG is doing the right thing now. Look what we lost last year, A d man who was our best offensive d and a second round pick for nothing. I'm happy MG said he won't trade picks anymore because unless your getting crosby or toews level players in a trade they won't make much of a difference to this team. We have seen it in the past not just with MG but it seems teams always have to win the trade with us then they'll agree to do it otherwise they never pull the trigger.

This makes MG's job very difficult and I can understand why he hasn't acquired a top 6 forward or a sedins linemate because other teams are fleecing him with their proposals(Tampa asked that we offer bieksa,burrows+1st at draft for their pick as nucks wanted to draft hedman) and just like he says "If we become of a better team because of a trade only then will it be accepted".

Look at the versteeg deal, steeger was struggling with cats so he got traded now watch him do well in chicago we all know that hawks won the trade even before steeg plays a game. The canucks since the early 90s haven't had the luxury of getting good offers from other teams so it makes hard to acquire that elusive top 6 forward.

That's why MG is smart with his reset on not doing trades for rentals anymore; he is smarter than most of us realize. Whenever I see someone flaming MG for one of his mistakes I think how foolish of them cause without MG this team would not even be competing for a playoff spot. Remember guys thats where our team was before he came in here and righted the ship.

Until MG trades the sedins for a 7th round pick I will say hes a good gm best we ever had considering the tough circumstances we have had to go through.

Edited by ProBettman, 15 November 2013 - 12:37 PM.

b4cl1j.jpg

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome RK sig

#25 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Look what we lost last year, A d man who was our best offensive d and a second round pick for nothing

Connauton has played one I repeat one game this season for Dallas. He is not injured. Roy has 5 goals and 6 assists for St L....that's the same as Santorelli of Richardson. Plus we picked up Stanton for free from the waiver wire. Who would you want Stanton or Connauton, I know who I believe is the better D. Connauton is going no where he can't play defense to save his life. We lost a second round pick in an attempt to bolster a glaring weakness at centre before we started in the play-offs. It was the right move and likely the only one he could make.....he tried, at least he tried. They showed what they thought of Roy in the summer, but they still had to try and he did

#26 Utica

Utica

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's sad, but if it where anyone with credibility, i might actually believe it. Time after time, Botchford has proven that he has no sources. Everything he writes aren't confirmed by anyone, and sometimes get completely shut down by other more people that are a lot more credible. It's simple though. He's a hockey journalist. He doesn't have any inside sources. The Thornton incident just showed how little connections that Botchford had. He had none. Then he has to nerve to go against Lebrun, who is one of the best in the business and is actually good friends with Thornton. What a joke.

He isn't a hockey journalist, he's essentially a smarmy blogger like Perez Hilton.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 17 November 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#27 onetimefan

onetimefan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Unfortunately Botch's signature is at the end of of the article. If it was at the beginning I could have saved the time I wasted reading it.

#28 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Removed...unsubstantiated hearsay.

Why one earth would any one do this, what grade are you in, childish antics. You may be upset at his journalistic skill but why would you make it a personel insult. If this is your journalistic skills on display maybe have a plan "B" is my suggestion

Edited by debluvscanucks, 17 November 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#29 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Why one earth would any one do this, what grade are you in, childish antics. You may be upset at his journalistic skill but why would you make it a personel insult. If this is your journalistic skills on display maybe have a plan "B" is my suggestion

Fox News or CNN for Plan B? :P

#30 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think this kid Hunter is going to be a killer Canuck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.