The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter's Hype - What is it for?

Ronalds.Kenins41

Hi guys,

I have read many comments about how hunter is our next sniper and is Patrick Kane 2.0. People are slotting this guy on the second line. From what I have seen so far I just don't see him getting to kane level.

Last year he had 86 points in 64 games in his third season in the WHL, was a minus 13 during last season and is small(5'10 181).

In comparison Kane had 145 points in 58 games in his first and only season in the OHL, was a plus 42 and is a bit bigger(5'11 181).

Kane was first overall and hunter was 23rd overall. Besides their size I see nothing similar between these two. Shinkaruk is now in his fourth WHL season and has 15 points in 13 games.

Someone please explain how this guys is the next Patrick Kane.

Realistically speaking which line can this guy play for and how good is he at his best.

P.S This is less about putting hunter down and more about learning how good he is.

QMJHL Offense only league

OHL Scoring paradise league with some defense

WHL grinding hardcore defensive league.

He is hyped that way because of his skill set. He is not really small and currently larger than both the Sedins, PK Subban and even Crosby was when they were drafted.

He was the top scoring threat in the uber defensive WHL.

He is fast has a goal scorers mentality and can make plays as capably as he can put pucks in the net.

Where is the hype?

I dunno....probably in the same spot I lost that thing that time.

I have read many comments about how hunter is our next sniper and is Patrick Kane 2.0. People are slotting this guy on the second line. From what I have seen so far I just don't see him getting to kane level.

See, when you said this, I thought you had actually watched his games. I was legitimately interested in what you had to say.

But all you did was go on hockeydb.

Does he score like they did? please explain this.

Hint

Go look at Makavelli's Hunter highlight package. Or hit up you tube, draw your own conclusions. Some will say he's a bust others will claim he is the next Hull.

Make your own decision on how he scores his goals. And just understand in the uber defensive whl he scores a ton of goals

<script src="http://www.hockeydb.com/em/?text_col=%23000000&linktext_col=%230000ee&linktext_hover_col=%23770000&bg_col=%23f0ecdd&border_col=%23000000&title_bg_col=%23d6cda5&row_bg_col=%23ffffff&row_alt_bg_col=%23f5f2e9&header=1&pid=130701" type="text/javascript"></script>

he had 42 points in 63 games in his first season. then the year after he had 91 then fell to 86 and a minus 13 when we drafted him.

Only reason he is doing well his cause he has played in whl long enough.

This comment shows you really have no clue what you're talking about and should stop right now. He is doing this well because he played in the WHL this long?

You're either trolling for attention or generally ignorant of the player itself and going off of a poor website for your information.

This comment shows you really have no clue what you're talking about and should stop right now. He is doing this well because he played in the WHL this long?

You're either trolling for attention or generally ignorant of the player itself and going off of a poor website for your information.

I'm not trolling I just think he's a bit overated to be called patrick kane 2.0 and be slotted in the second line. I admit I don't know much about him that's why I am here asking you guys to explain why everyone thinks so highly of him.

Here do some research

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/canucks-pick-hunter-shinkaruk-pounded-line-brawl-during-175953170.html

^^ Shows you that he's willing to risk body for team mates against a much bigger and much better pugilist. Something Kane and Parise won't do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7noAMfaxBg&feature=player_detailpage

So please.....do your own research before going off of such a tragic website for your information.

he had 42 points in 63 games in his first season. then the year after he had 91 then fell to 86 and a minus 13 when we drafted him.

Only reason he is doing well his cause he has played in whl long enough.

With that logic anyone can become great in the NHL. All it takes is a couple years of playing there!''

I'm not trolling I just think he's a bit overated to be called patrick kane 2.0 and be slotted in the second line. I admit I don't know much about him that's why I am here asking you guys to explain why everyone thinks so highly of him.

Saying the only reason he's doing that well is because of being in the league so long is sad. Like saying Crosby and Mackinnon only did so well because they were in the QMJHL for so many years

Or Kesler was so good because he was a college player.

come on man, do the research before saying that. By the way, Hunter has been on a terrible tigers team for a few seasons as well yet STILL puts up solid numbers in a defensive league. Pretty impressive, in the OHL or QMJHL he'd be a 100+ point guy regularly as they're more offense first.

Went to the Giants game on Friday and had an opportunity to see him play. He looked pretty good depsite not putting up any points, but the Tigers were outplayed by the Giants by quite a bit.

He's a good skater with quite a bit of speed, his hands looked good and he passes well. He's got a pretty good shot and a hard backhand. He had a couple of opportunities to score, including one in the last couple of minutes that would have tied the game. which he should have scored on. In terms of stick skills he definetly stood out in the game.

I found that he wasn't very focused defensively, but can be partially attirbuted to the Tigers playing from behind the whole game, and its something i'm sure will be instiled into him in our organization. Also I wasn't very impressed with is antics at the end of the game, but his frustration was understandable given the many opportunities he and the Tigers had in the game that were taken away by good goaltending and defense.

I think a lot of the hype about this player is his energy and passion, after watching some of the preseason games and seeing him have an opportunity to prove himself at a higher level (albiet mostly among/against other prospects) he seems to feed off pressure and build energy from it.

Also depsite concerns about his size, he actually looked bretty big in the Giants game, obviously still not a huge player, but i didn't really see his size being a major concern.

Here do some research

http://ca.sports.yah...-175953170.html

^^ Shows you that he's willing to risk body for team mates against a much bigger and much better pugilist. Something Kane and Parise won't do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7noAMfaxBg&feature=player_detailpage

So please.....do your own research before going off of such a tragic website for your information.

K thanks for the videos.

With that logic anyone can become great in the NHL. All it takes is a couple years of playing there!''

:picard: I take that statement back that was wrong.

Archived