The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter's Hype - What is it for?

Ronalds.Kenins41

Does he score like they did? please explain this.

Shinkaruk isn't necessarily as good as Kane at scoring but he has great hands and speed. I don't know if he will ever be as good as Kane but his stick handling skills reminds me of Kane.

As for the Parise comparison, both Parise and Shinkaruk have a "feisty" side to their game and can get under the skin of opponents. Also, I can tell that Shinkaruk (much like Parise) really wants the puck all the time.

Of course, I'm not saying he is going to be better than those two players, it's just a comparison.

In terms of an NHL comparison, he reminded me a lot of Phil Kessel. Not Parise like TSN said, or Kane that he says.

When I was at the Giants game, he played a very feisty 150 foot game. He hovered more around the blue line waiting for the breakout pass. He forechecks hard as hell. Always wants the puck.. like always. He was slapping his stick on the ice so god damn much in that game. He deked around the defense but got stoned by the Giants G. Also set up two glorious chances, but his teammates couldn't capitalize.

Guest Cuporbust2

Shirokov 2.0

5 goals in 13 games at the ohl level is not what I call a "Patrick Kane" calibre player. He might be a Mason Raymond at best, I see him as a Shirokov, maybe Wellwood type player . "Pure goal scorrers" score a hell of allot more at the ohl level. Hell , Wellwood scorred over 40 in the Ohl. Just sayin.

Shirokov 2.0

5 goals in 13 games at the ohl level is not what I call a "Patrick Kane" calibre player. He might be a Mason Raymond at best, I see him as a Shirokov, maybe Wellwood type player . "Pure goal scorrers" score a hell of allot more at the ohl level. Hell , Wellwood scorred over 40 in the Ohl. Just sayin.

Shinkaruk?

He plays in the W.

I'm hyped about Hunter because we haven't had an offensively talented prospect like him since I started watching hockey in 2007.

Horvat is great..Gaunce is great..but they're both two-way forwards that may end up like a Kesler, Richards, or Bergeron.

Hunter is pure offense and that excites people. That goal he scored in the pre-season was pure delight and I can't wait to see more of it when he makes it here.

As for him turning into Kane? One can dream. But he does look promising..

Who's calling him Patrick Kane 2.0? Kane is a punk and Shink is the furthest thing from it.

ProBettman sounds like a troll name to me...

buddy.... go to my last post on page one

and like I told many times I chose this name cause I was trying for a long time to find a name available and couldn't find one I wanted so I just picked this one cause I knew no one would have it. In hindsight that probably wasn't a smart decision but hey I got a account. I might PM the mod to change it when I have time.

I am no troll I just wanted to know more about the guy and now I do.

Can't wait for him to play for us: his shot, speed and hands are exactly what this team needs.

Yeah, it's what the team needs TODAY! We're scoring a goal a game lately, it certainly wouldn't hurt us any to throw Hunter into the mix. Are we allowed to call him up this season or is he stuck in the Hat for cap reasons?**

I know he was sent down to play bigger minutes and develop faster but at this point I think the Canucks could use some spark and scoring! Yeah we're outshooting opponents but the solution to this drought -- generating dangerous chances -- will take a sniper's mentality. Call up Hunter Shinkaruk already!

(Be nice guys, that was my first ever post)

Yeah, it's what the team needs TODAY! We're scoring a goal a game lately, it certainly wouldn't hurt us any to throw Hunter into the mix. Are we allowed to call him up this season or is he stuck in the Hat for cap reasons?**

I know he was sent down to play bigger minutes and develop faster but at this point I think the Canucks could use some spark and scoring! Yeah we're outshooting opponents but the solution to this drought -- generating dangerous chances -- will take a sniper's mentality. Call up Hunter Shinkaruk already!

(Be nice guys, that was my first ever post)

Spirit of 82,

I believe that due to his age he was sent back to his junior team and cannot be recalled until their playoffs are over.

He's a bright looking prospect, let's not rush him, let's nurture him and let his natural talent grow. When he is ready in a couple of years, look out world!

Even Patrick Kane wouldn't pan out unless he had a Chicago-level supporting cast.

Patrick Kane led his team in scoring in his rookie season and won the Calder... That team had Sopel and Vandermeer in the top 4 D and Jason Williams and Robert Lang in the top 6 F's.

He became an immediate impact on a bad Hawks team, and it only took a couple years until him and Toews turned the team around to a modern day dynasty.

He consistently plays with lesser linemates ala Crosby, to elevate their game, and Toews gets the good wingers (Sharp/Hossa)

Usually agree with your posts, but this one is absurd. Kane was/is too damn skilled to not pan out.

Patrick Kane led his team in scoring in his rookie season and won the Calder... That team had Sopel and Vandermeer in the top 4 D and Jason Williams and Robert Lang in the top 6 F's.

He became an immediate impact on a bad Hawks team, and it only took a couple years until him and Toews turned the team around to a modern day dynasty.

He consistently plays with lesser linemates ala Crosby, to elevate their game, and Toews gets the good wingers (Sharp/Hossa)

Usually agree with your posts, but this one is absurd. Kane was/is too damn skilled to not pan out.

Skill aside, if he was relatively on his own, he would've been destroyed.

Everybody has it soooooooo wrong. He is easily the most pro comparable to Tyler ennis. Shifty, score goals, dangerous offensively. Never overwhelmingly produces, and if he does, GREAT!

Ennis is actually a pretty good comparable for Shink, right down to him playing in Medicine Hat in his junior days. Their stats were eerily similar playing for the Tigers, right down to their point totals the last two seasons in Medicine Hat. Ennis was drafted #26 in the first round of the 2008 draft by the Sabres. Shinkaruk was drafted #24 in the first round by the Nucks. Shink is bigger and stronger than Ennis was and is even now, and plays with an edge that Ennis doesn't have. I just hope Shink has a bigger impact in the league than Ennis has.

Just for fun, here's their stats comparison:

Shink:

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42

2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91

2012-13 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 64 37 49 86

2013-14 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 13 5 10 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ennis:

2005-06 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 43 3 7 10

2006-07 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 71 26 24 50

2007-08 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 70 43 48 91

2008-09 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 61 43 42 85

2009-10 Portland Pirates AHL 69 23 42 65

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 3 6 9

2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 29 49

2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 15 19 34

2012-13 Langnau Swiss 9 3 5 8 0

2012-13 Buffalo Sabres NHL 47 10 21 31

2013-14 Buffalo Sabres NHL 22 3 4 7

NHL Totals 209 51 79 130

Ennis is actually a pretty good comparable for Shink, right down to him playing in Medicine Hat in his junior days. Their stats were eerily similar playing for the Tigers, right down to their point totals the last two seasons in Medicine Hat. Ennis was drafted #26 in the first round of the 2008 draft by the Sabres. Shinkaruk was drafted #24 in the first round by the Nucks. Shink is bigger and stronger than Ennis was and is even now, and plays with an edge that Ennis doesn't have. I just hope Shink has a bigger impact in the league than Ennis has.

Just for fun, here's their stats comparison:

Shink:

2010-11 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 63 14 28 42

2011-12 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 66 49 42 91

2012-13 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 64 37 49 86

2013-14 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 13 5 10 15

Ennis:

2005-06 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 43 3 7 10

2006-07 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 71 26 24 50

2007-08 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 70 43 48 91

2008-09 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 61 43 42 85

2009-10 Portland Pirates AHL 69 23 42 65

2009-10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 10 3 6 9

2010-11 Buffalo Sabres NHL 82 20 29 49

2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 15 19 34

2012-13 Langnau Swiss 9 3 5 8 0

2012-13 Buffalo Sabres NHL 47 10 21 31

2013-14 Buffalo Sabres NHL 22 3 4 7

NHL Totals 209 51 79 130

Ennis's stats remind me of Hodgson's stats when he was here. Even though thats not a good comparison between players.

People are going to expect the moon and then some from him since him and Bo were drafted right after Mike Gillis says they need to get younger and rebuild without scraping the team. It's going to last for a long time. Shinkaruk has a lot of growing as a player to do and that's exactly why he's still in junior and not sitting the press box as the 13th forward with the big club.

I chatted with him on Friday night for our podcast (I'll post the link at the bottom) and he's very aware of the pressure and says he's going to thrive on it... of course that's all well and good saying all the things Canucks fans want to hear before a junior hockey game.

Hunter is a major wait and see situation, and if we've learned anything from the Edmonton Oilers, good things come to those who wait...and Edmonton did NOT wait.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/pucksonnet/Episode_11.mp3

Archived