The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burr and Kes stripped of A's?

#17forlife

I was wondering if anybody out there could clear something up for me? I thought with the Canucks having many leaders/veterans of the team on the team that they had selected 4 assistant captains instead of the usual 2. With Daniel and Kesler wearing the 'A' at home, and Bieksa and Burrows wearing them on the road. But of late all I'm seeing is Daniel and Bieksa wearing them. Now I know it really isn't a huge deal at all and the players probably don't care, but does anyone know why Kes and Burr don't ever wear the 'A' anymore? Is it because Torterella prefers the usual one captain, two assistant captain model, or is he "punishing" Burrows and Kesler?

It's probably a little of both. But whatever I say is going to be based purely on my opinion. I think Torts prefers the typical 1 captain and 2 assistant captain and maybe the fact that Kes and Burr have a bit of a reputation around the league when it comes to diving so he chose to give it to Daniel and Bieksa. But again, nobody really knows what's going on behind closed doors.

Bieksa is a natural leader and a vocal part of this team so him having one of the A's seems like a no brainer. I personally like the idea of Hammer having the other A but Kesler is a smart decision as well. I don't see why Daniel should have one, he doesn't come across as a natural leader.

Bieksa is a natural leader and a vocal part of this team so him having one of the A's seems like a no brainer. I personally like the idea of Hammer having the other A but Kesler is a smart decision as well. I don't see why Daniel should have one, he doesn't come across as a natural leader.

Because he is as classy as they come and one of the best players in franchise history. He is a model player and I can't think of a reason he WOULDNT have the A. Not all leaders are loud and vocal.

I dont think it has to do with ego at all or pecking order.

Kesler has seniority when it comes to being the alternate. He was alternate before Henrik was.

Its about delegating authority. To me, Torts wants Burr and Kes to concentrate on their game. Daniel wearing the A is for show. I never found him to be a leader at all, but he is Henriks twin brother. Hes fine.

So the other choice is Kevin Bieksa. He is a natural leader and I am all for it. Kesler and Burrows dont have a 'reputation' like its some kind of high school. Its got nothing to do with any of this.

Because he is as classy as they come and one of the best players in franchise history. He is a model player and I can't think of a reason he WOULDNT have the A. Not all leaders are loud and vocal.

I don't think Daniel needs the "A" to show that he is a model player, and prove how classy he is. I'm sure much of the league already knows about that, as well as his team and he doesn't need a letter on his jersey to prove it.

All it is, really, is a letter on a jersey that has no real value to it in my eyes. If someone wants to be a leader, vocal or not, they'll do it regardless of the letter they have. I personally don't care who wears it. I know Kesler, Bieksa, etc. are all great leaders and they don't need a letter to prove it.

I prefer having only 2 people wearing the A anyway. Daniel should easily be one of them, and normally I'd think Kesler would get the other, but with the way Bieksa is thriving under Torts I'm not surprised he has it.

Going with what we saw/heard about when Torts spoke about using September as a measuring stick to evaluate the Alternate Captains situation, he probably simply wanted to transition it back to 1 Captain and 2 Alternates and with Bieksa striving under Torts as Pineapples mentioned, that seems to be the justification.

From my Pro-Kesler point of view, obviously it sucks to see Kesler without the A, but we can't fight the coach's/management's decision on this. It is what it is.

THIS. DANIEL FOR PRESIDENT... OF THE WORLD!

I don't think the coaching staff should choose the alternate captains based on fan service. Love Kesler, but it should go to whoever is the most influential in the locker room.

Henrik is the obvious captain. And I think Bieksa would probably be the most vocal, which is why he has an "A". As for the 2nd alternate captaincy I'd love to give it to Luongo, but the next best player is probably Burrows.

C: Henrik Sedin

A: Kevin Bieksa

A: Alex Burrows / Luongo

The top influential players on the team.

Going with what we saw/heard about when Torts spoke about using September as a measuring stick to evaluate the Alternate Captains situation, he probably simply wanted to transition it back to 1 Captain and 2 Alternates and with Bieksa striving under Torts as Pineapples mentioned, that seems to be the justification.

From my Pro-Kesler point of view, obviously it sucks to see Kesler without the A, but we can't fight the coach's/management's decision on this. It is what it is.

That's what I was going to say, I remembered there being something about Torts wanting to have the 1C/2As setup rather than alternating. I never heard anything on the outcome, but maybe this is it.

OH goodie .. lets give them to the Sedins and Kesler .. keep all our 'Captains' on one line, and hope incidents happen only when that line is on the ice .. B)

Excellent, someone that gets it.

The A stands for alternate, not assistant. Since Daniel and Henrik spend the majority of the time on the same line, having Daniel as an alternate is kind of redundant. It makes more sense to have someone from the 1st line (Hank), someone from the 2nd line (Kesler) and a defenseman (Bieksa) as your captains. That way it is fairly spread around through the lineup.

Archived