The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider Frustrated He's Not Starting

JohnLocke

Devils coach Pete DeBoer has encountered his first goaltending controversy with Martin Brodeur and Cory Schneider.

Brodeur will get his third straight start when the Devils host the Carolina Hurricanes Wednesday night at Prudential Center and Schneider isn't happy.

"I'm very surprised, but Marty is playing well. He's going good," Schneider said after the morning skate.

Schneider said he feels like he is back in a bad situation like the one he dealt with playing behind Roberto Luongo in Vancouver.

"It's Groundhog Day for me. I can't seem to escape it," Schneider said. "I'm just trying to work hard and do what I can. I'd just like to see the ice a little but more, that's all."

I asked Schneider if he will talk to DeBoer or goalie coach Chris Terreri.

"No. Again, Marty is playing really well. He's got the net and he's running with it," Schneider said. "It's part of the game. But I just feel at this point in my career it's something where I'd just like to play more. I am frustrated."

Schneider (2-5-3) has received little offensive support in many of his starts this season. He posted a 2-1 victory in Los Angeles last Thursday night in which he made 34 saves. But he has not played since.

Brodeur played in San Jose Saturday night and again at home against the Winnipeg Jets Monday night. Both were losses, although he is playing well.

"We knew with two starting goaltenders that we were going to get in situations where we were going to have to make tough decisions and this is one of them," DeBoer said. "Having said that, there are going to be plenty of games for both. If you look at our schedule, we're in the middle right now of seven in 11 nights and it doesn't get any easier in December. So I'm comfortable they're both going to get plenty of opportunity to play."

But DeBoer knows Schneider, with his 1.87 goals-against average and .925 save percentage, might need some soothing.

"Sure. That's your job every day," DeBoer said. "They're competitive. They want to play. They're disappointed. I understand it. We have to make tough decisions."

Brodeur had virtually anointed Schneider the Devils' No. 1 goalie back in October. However, a groin injury suffered on Oct. 24 against Vancouver sidelined Schneider for three games. Brodeur stepped in and won five in a row.

Schneider, 27, has the rest if this season and next season remaining on his contract. The Devils, who acquired him in a draft day trade with the Canucks for their first-round draft pick in 2013, hope to keep him beyond that as Brodeur's successor.

Cam Ward will start Wednesday night for the Carolina Hurricanes.

Another goalie controversy?

They are simply running with the hot goalie. And really, Schneider needs to suck it up and deal with it. Why *wouldn't* a team run with a hot goalie? Brodeur has posted over a .94 save percentage over his last few games. Once he plays a poor game or two, I'm sure they'll switch back to Cory who has the better record overall.

Don't see why he would complain to the media about this. Schneider has played 10 games to Brodeur's 14 games.

2-5-3 doesn't scream put me on the ice coach.

Giving your team a chance to win each night but not getting any goal support is frustrating and I don't blame Schneider for being frustrated.

answering a reporters question does not signify....frustration. I'm sure Schnides understands the situation. The team is struggling and the coach will do what he thinks will help the team out of its funk. If Schnides called a press conference to say he is frustrated, that would be a different matter.

Archived