The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Burrows get a Free Pass?

Spotted Zebra

Don't get me wrong, while he has never been my favourite player on this team, I've never had, and don't have anything against the guy.

All I'm wondering, is how come everyone on CDC is so quick to bash guys like Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Booth, Luu, and to a lesser extent, the Sedins. Whereas when it comes to Burr, a lot of people, myself included tend to turn a blind eye to it?

He's a good player, not great, but good. However, if Ryan Kesler goes 10 games without a goal, that story is likely the headline of the sports section in the Vancouver Sun, and there's at least 5 topics on it on CDC. If Luongo gets blown out you hear about it. Burr has gone what 15/16 games without a goal and the most you hear is a murmur.

I used to think it was because of his cheap contract which I applaud him for, but he cashed in at 4.5M, and I think a lot of us forget than when assesing him. He plays first line minutes mostly every game, and sure he gets chances, but we've seen how many goals chances will buy.

Don't mistake this for a hate thread, it's not. I'm sincerely curious. Is it the ECHL Story, is it the hometown discounts? Is it Canuck fans clinging onto his goals of the 2011 post season? Why does he seemingly get off scott free

It seems a little hypocritical if you ask me. Are we evaluating players on what they are bringing to the team right now, or our memories of them?

--------

Just to be clear, I'm not saying trade him, nor am I saying he's not a good player haha

He is the only one that earned his contract. he took less money on his previous contract than was offered. he shuts up and does his job in every situation on the ice and until this season did it incredibly well. The other guys were given great contracts for almost nothing.

Burrows is also a home grown product who was never drafted and by all rights never should have been in the league but made it through hard work alone.

He is not getting a pass by any means as I expect endless threads about him shortly besides the famous "Burrows, do we really need him" thread which has seen serious action as of late. But he is the one guy on this team not named Sedin which has earned a shade of leniency from us fans.

Bieksa has proven himself this year, so has Lu and the Sedins and to some extent Kesler.

Edler is being called out cause he's inconsistent. All those players used to be called out of the same reason but now they are consistent. Burrows on the other hand plays consistently almost every game but is really just snakebitten.

Because he does so much away from the puck. Chirp, defensive game, special teams, close games he really shows up.

He is a playoff performer in my opinion, when Sedins get stopped we go to Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen for scoring.

He is the only one that earned his contract. he took less money on his previous contract than was offered. he shuts up and does his job in every situation on the ice and until this season did it incredibly well. The other guys were given great contracts for almost nothing.

Burrows is also a home grown product who was never drafted and by all rights never should have been in the league but made it through hard work alone.

He is not getting a pass by any means as I expect endless threads about him shortly besides the famous "Burrows, do we really need him" thread which has seen serious action as of late. But he is the one guy on this team not named Sedin which has earned a shade of leniency from us fans.

This is what I'm talking about.

If Burr had no relation to the Canucks whatsover and signed a 1 year deal at 4.5 M this Summer, how would you feel about his play this year?

Because he does so much away from the puck. Chirp, defensive game, special teams, close games he really shows up.

He is a playoff performer in my opinion, when Sedins get stopped we go to Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen for scoring.

While I agree with you 100%, that doesn't equal to long term investment for an older player at 4.5 M.

For everyone saying that Burr is getting a lot of chances, I think we have selective memory.

That was the story of David Booth before his ankle injury last season. Believe it or not, he was playing quality hockey and was usually an inch or two from scoring when he got a chance. Granted he didn't but yes he got good chances.

However I don't think I need to explain that the reaction to his lack of production was much different that Burr's right now

If Burr had no relation to the Canucks whatsover and signed a 1 year deal at 4.5 M this Summer, how would you feel about his play this year?

Based on history and past performance, he's a valuable member of the team and a playoff performer of which we don't really have many we could call "clutch" He tries hard and is obviously snakebitten, had he hit even 50% of those posts in a better angle that goes in the net he's got almost 10 goals already and this team has at least 2 or 3 more wins under its belt.

effort need be rewarded at all times.

Don't get me wrong, while he has never been my favourite player on this team, I've never had, and don't have anything against the guy.

All I'm wondering, is how come everyone on CDC is so quick to bash guys like Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Booth, Luu, and to a lesser extent, the Sedins. Whereas when it comes to Burr, a lot of people, myself included tend to turn a blind eye to it?

He's a good player, not great, but good. However, if Ryan Kesler goes 10 games without a goal, that story is likely the headline of the sports section in the Vancouver Sun, and there's at least 5 topics on it on CDC. If Luongo gets blown out you hear about it. Burr has gone what 15/16 games without a goal and the most you hear is a murmur.

I used to think it was because of his cheap contract which I applaud him for, but he cashed in at 4.5M, and I think a lot of us forget than when assesing him. He plays first line minutes mostly every game, and sure he gets chances, but we've seen how many goals chances will buy.

Don't mistake this for a hate thread, it's not. I'm sincerely curious. Is it the ECHL Story, is it the hometown discounts? Is it Canuck fans clinging onto his goals of the 2011 post season? Why does he seemingly get off scott free

It seems a little hypocritical if you ask me. Are we evaluating players on what they are bringing to the team right now, or our memories of them?

--------

Just to be clear, I'm not saying trade him, nor am I saying he's not a good player haha

While I agree with you 100%, that doesn't equal to long term investment for an older player at 4.5 M.

I see what you did there. Clever.... very clever.

--------

IMVHO, I wish all players on the team contributed in the same tenacious way that Burrows does every game. You speak of him as though he is not worthy to be a Canuck. If you knew anything about the game you would realize that all players experience scoring droughts like the one he is going through right now. No he is not contributing to the scoring as he has in the past, however pay more attention to what he does beside score goals. Try looking at what a player does on the ice with and without the puck rather than focus on scoring. Stop missing half the game you watch. He is an extremely good defensive player. He is a definite threat to score short handed goals against any team in the league and he is not afraid to go to any of the dirty areas and mix it up with any player.

Alex Burrows is and always has been an asset to the team. He has had very good years in the last five years. Don't sell him short because he has not had any puck luck. He will get it back, never fear.

Yeah, it is a bit of a risk because who knows if he can keep it up till his contract goes up when he hits 37? After that I would let him walk if he slows down.

I love Burr but in all honesty if he had a few more goals this season, we'd likely have a few more wins. His salary isn't depended just on him working hard and playing well defensively he earned it by putting points on the board. As of right now he definitely isn't earning his salary and it a big part of the teams scoring troubles so far.

With that all said....

When players tend to go on slumps it usually affects their other play. When Kesler was slumping at the beginning of the year he was almost invisible and not generating anything, Burrows has been close every game and I think the reason he gets a bit of a free pass because we can all see its only a matter of time before he breaks this slump and goes on a tear. No one realistically see this lasting all year.

Archived