Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

• Please log in to reply
1122 replies to this topic

#1 Go Go Canucks Go

Go Go Canucks Go

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I felt he has played enough games with us that we can finally start to criticize him and his development since joining this team.

I think there is something really off about his hockey sense. When he plays he just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to reading or making the right plays. He just extremely inconsistent too in both his effort and ability.

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

Did the Canucks make the mistake in trading for Kassian? i understand that Hodgson didn't want to play here but maybe we could have targetted someone else. Ive just been extremely unimpressed by his play as a Canuck. Seems like AV wasn't really the problem either because the new coaching staff are basically treating him the same way. He just hasnt earned an opportunity and its disapointing. It has nothing to do with his character either, hes a good person.

Thoughts?
Aaron Rome 1 goal in 114 games and oh yeah 10 assists. Thats 11 points people..that's a decent .0964 points per game average. He's a power play expert at turn overs and wide shots. He's a depth defenceman for anyone looking to win the stanley cup. A key here is he is very slow and takes timely penalties because he is an expert at head games. Clearly the most underrated underachiever of all time. He also has a mean 5 oclock shadow. MMMMM Aaron Rome goes down smooth like an unshaked can of Guinness that has been in the garage for awhile. MMM Aaron Rome put him on your powerplay, let him kill penalties, a stud...a steed... half cro magnon man part time bowling champion but supremely talented Defenceman. Rome for the Norris! I think Rome was solid like Rory Fitzpatrick or Eric Weinrich...Rome could use a yellow visor for that matter ...really give him the edge

#2 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

POPULAR

I think powerforwards take longer to develop and get used to the NHL game. I'd probably give Kassian one or two more seasons before calling him a disappointment. Bertuzzi was what, 25 when he broke out?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#3 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

I am glad we got Zack . Hodgson was a headache and didnt want to play 3rd line minutes here.

/end thread

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#4 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts

POPULAR

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

weight does not = strength

His off season training focused on explosive power and agility (which he lacked). He is a much better skater now and more agile.

He's still young and can definitely get better. Don't trade him

G4fSut.gif

#5 Brad Bellick^

Brad Bellick^

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

POPULAR

Send him down to Utica. It's clear he's not ready and his head is not in the game to be in the NHL right now. Bring up a guy like Archibald or Grenier who deserve it.

#6 Harvey Specter

Harvey Specter

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

At the time of posting at 1:50PM PST, yes it is too early to call Kassian a disappointment. Go take a nap or a breather outside. The real game starts tomorrow, if this thread was made because of a loss...

However, in all seriousness, dominate power forwards take time to develop and "get it" on the ice.

291bxwy.jpgtumblr_myce7sZ0AT1r3j7m5o1_400.jpg

Shout out to -Vintage Canucks- for his flawless SS91 signature!

#7 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think the most disappointing thing is his effort. From things like backchecking to laying the body he seems to enjoy taking the easy route every time.

Sig too big. 

#8 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,479 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

He's had some bad games for sure

Overall though, I think he's looked pretty good this season. You gotta remember, he's playing on the third line with no PP time

#9 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think the most disappointing thing is his effort. From things like backchecking to laying the body he seems to enjoy taking the easy route every time.

I agree but I think that's the most disappointing thing about the team in general so it's hard to hang him out to dry personally for it.

#10 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

POPULAR

I think powerforwards take longer to develop and get used to the NHL game. I'd probably give Kassian one or two more seasons before calling him a disappointment. Bertuzzi was what, 25 when he broke out?

Bertuzzi had more points in his rookie year than Kassian has in 3 seasons.

Kassian- 27 pts in 105 games
Bert- 39 points in 76 games

1.5 years ago I said that Kassian would be a similar offensive talent as Steve Bernier, but just a bit more physical. It seems to ring true so far. He hasn't shown anything that makes him seem like a true offensive talent in this league. I understand the whole 25 years old thing, but even Bertuzzi had flashes of showing how good he could be before he broke out. Kassian hasn't shown anything.

#11 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Depends what your expectations are from him at this point in his career. IMO no. but whatever people think hes suppose to be putting up 70+ points by now, which is ridiculous

#12 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yes.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#13 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

He seems disinterested at times.

Given his minutes, which pretty much includes no PP time, his production is NOT terrible, but still poor.

#14 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

I could care less how much goals he gets or points. I wanna see Mad Zack, I wanna see him man handle players and use his brute strength to start winning puck battles, battles in front of the net. Use his physicallity to win puck battles and throw more hits. He also needs to start answering the bell. If Sestito were not in the lineup I dont know If I would be very confident Kass could step up to that role.

To me Kassian was never really brought here to be a big producer offensively so stop expecting him to be that. It will take time to gain that confidence offensively but in the mean time he has to focus on being a better player without the puck and how to use his physicality when he isn't producing on the score board. HIs defensive game really needs to pick it up and goes for the rest of the team.

So to sum up, I wanna see Kassian be more involved physically. Not fighting per se, but hitting more, winning those hard battles in the corner and at the front of the net.

A realistic expectation is to see that consistent effort on the ice, not so much the points he will put up.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 30 November 2013 - 03:04 PM.

2moy3iq.png

#15 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yes a disappointment, maybe if he showed some signs of what he has then I'd be more optimistic, however he does not.

Doesnt seem to play with any effort, or seem to have ANY hockey IQ.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#16 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Not impressed. At this point I would not even blink an eye if the Canucks waived Kassian.

Looks like a plug out there every night. Improvement? I just don't see it.
Posted Image

#17 Dr. Crossbar

Dr. Crossbar

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

No. He's still learning at an NHL level. He's 22. If he does't make mistakes, he won't learn to be better. That's just how it goes.

The same can't be said about some players on this team who have been in the league a while and should be producing but aren't.

#18 Nicklas Bo Hunter

Nicklas Bo Hunter

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

If its early enough for people to call jensen a dissapointment then its not too early to call kassian one

#19 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Formerly Castiel

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Way too early. PWF's need time, history has shown that, get that through your head ffs.

#20 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Oh yay another KASSIAN thread......

#21 Daretodream

Daretodream

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

He's done some stupid things, and at times plays with his head in the clouds, but the raw talent is there. He plays like he's a boy still but showing signs of becoming a man in a mans sport; especially as a power forward/ fighter. When he matures(everyone does it at diff pts of their lives) he'll become a good player. It doesn't help that as a whole we are less than stellar as a team when it comes to mental/emotional side of things; when things get down in games, we tend to fall apart and take bad penalties and start chasing the game. Giving up one goal on a turnover or bad bounce tends to lead to bad stretches that lead to the other team scoring in bunches. Kassian is an emotional and immature while on the ice guy, so our leaders, eg edler, bieksa, Kesler and sometimes even the sedins, need to grow up and start showing these guys the right way to handle situations etc

#22 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Semantics answer: No, it isn't too early to be disappointed in Kassian. It is too early to call him a bust though. As many have already mentioned here, at only 22 years old there is lots of room for growth. He is clearly immature as a player, and does not get what it takes to be in the league full time and produce results.

I'd be pissed if the organization gives up on him and waives him, but at some point (like in 2 years if the same questions keep arising) you do cut him loose.

He should train with the Sedins a few weeks this coming off season, in and around his own regimen. If he gets just a little determination in his game he can show some worth.

#23 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,796 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

He's a bust. Has no hockey brains.

#24 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

bench him, send him down, wake him up.

#25 ShakyWalton

ShakyWalton

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

I was Kassians biggest supporter...but I must admit I am getting tired of the same old same old..I see very little improvement at all,,,he doesnt get alot of ice and no PP time which doesnt help but when he is out there he constantly shoots himself in the foot..ill timed penalties,, poor on the back check, bad passes resulting in goals...he has to cut down these stupid mistakes and get on board the Canuck train,,I actually think sending him down to Utica wouldnt be a bad idea, bring up Archie and see how that goes...a wake up call is needed and benching doesnt seem to work on him.

#26 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

A lot of players his age or younger making impacts out there...

#27 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Formerly Castiel

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

That's an unfair argument. How many of those players are PWFs?

Edited by Bryan Danielson, 30 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#28 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

He's learning a profession. He's got the natural tools, time will tell if he can learn to produce every day against other professionals. I still think it's early, Even Lafleur took a year or two.

#29 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Somebody =/= everybody else

I wish he was shredding, but he needs to mature. Once he does that then we can see if his skills are high enough to carry him in this league.

#30 jejejester

jejejester

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

I would move him down to Utica to play top line minutes. Bring up an archibald or greenier.

Once Schroeder gets back into action I would put him down in the farm to get his game back and have a line of:

Jensen Schroeder Kassian

In the minors playing huge minutes, in all situations. Being relied on to lead the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.