The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

I felt he has played enough games with us that we can finally start to criticize him and his development since joining this team.

I think there is something really off about his hockey sense. When he plays he just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to reading or making the right plays. He just extremely inconsistent too in both his effort and ability.

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

Did the Canucks make the mistake in trading for Kassian? i understand that Hodgson didn't want to play here but maybe we could have targetted someone else. Ive just been extremely unimpressed by his play as a Canuck. Seems like AV wasn't really the problem either because the new coaching staff are basically treating him the same way. He just hasnt earned an opportunity and its disapointing. It has nothing to do with his character either, hes a good person.

Thoughts?

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

weight does not = strength

His off season training focused on explosive power and agility (which he lacked). He is a much better skater now and more agile.

He's still young and can definitely get better. Don't trade him

At the time of posting at 1:50PM PST, yes it is too early to call Kassian a disappointment. Go take a nap or a breather outside. The real game starts tomorrow, if this thread was made because of a loss...

However, in all seriousness, dominate power forwards take time to develop and "get it" on the ice.

He's had some bad games for sure

Overall though, I think he's looked pretty good this season. You gotta remember, he's playing on the third line with no PP time

I think the most disappointing thing is his effort. From things like backchecking to laying the body he seems to enjoy taking the easy route every time.

I agree but I think that's the most disappointing thing about the team in general so it's hard to hang him out to dry personally for it.

I think powerforwards take longer to develop and get used to the NHL game. I'd probably give Kassian one or two more seasons before calling him a disappointment. Bertuzzi was what, 25 when he broke out?

Bertuzzi had more points in his rookie year than Kassian has in 3 seasons.

Kassian- 27 pts in 105 games

Bert- 39 points in 76 games

1.5 years ago I said that Kassian would be a similar offensive talent as Steve Bernier, but just a bit more physical. It seems to ring true so far. He hasn't shown anything that makes him seem like a true offensive talent in this league. I understand the whole 25 years old thing, but even Bertuzzi had flashes of showing how good he could be before he broke out. Kassian hasn't shown anything.

I could care less how much goals he gets or points. I wanna see Mad Zack, I wanna see him man handle players and use his brute strength to start winning puck battles, battles in front of the net. Use his physicallity to win puck battles and throw more hits. He also needs to start answering the bell. If Sestito were not in the lineup I dont know If I would be very confident Kass could step up to that role.

To me Kassian was never really brought here to be a big producer offensively so stop expecting him to be that. It will take time to gain that confidence offensively but in the mean time he has to focus on being a better player without the puck and how to use his physicality when he isn't producing on the score board. HIs defensive game really needs to pick it up and goes for the rest of the team.

So to sum up, I wanna see Kassian be more involved physically. Not fighting per se, but hitting more, winning those hard battles in the corner and at the front of the net.

A realistic expectation is to see that consistent effort on the ice, not so much the points he will put up.

Archived