The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

While supporters will say that other PWF really starts hitting their strides when they're 25.... most of those in the NHL were being impact/physical players before the offense started.

Guys like Milan Lucic, Johan Franzen, and even a the less productive guy like Steve Bernier... if they're not scoring, they're doing everything else right. Being physical, finishing every check, back checking, battle hard to keep possession, etc.

Zack Kassian on the other hand, he seems to float a lot and only steps things up when he "needs" to.

While supporters will say that other PWF really starts hitting their strides when they're 25.... most of those in the NHL were being impact/physical players before the offense started.

Guys like Milan Lucic, Johan Franzen, and even a the less productive guy like Steve Bernier... if they're not scoring, they're doing everything else right. Being physical, finishing every check, back checking, battle hard to keep possession, etc.

Zack Kassian on the other hand, he seems to float a lot and only steps things up when he "needs" to.

What's missed when people only look at numbers for comparisons. Kassian does have good nights but then...

Some games he plays like it has been 16 not 106. Hard to figure out....

Like almost all PWFs Kassian needs time. I don't remember many PWFs becoming a huge threat till they had 3-4 seasons(at least 200-250 games under their belt). Kass does play very inconsistent but I expect that given the style he plays and how inexperienced he is.

Like almost all PWFs Kassian needs time. I don't remember many PWFs becoming a huge threat till they had 3-4 seasons(at least 200-250 games under their belt). Kass does play very inconsistent but I expect that given the style he plays and how inexperienced he is.

And I still think people wouldn't be as hard on him if people like Burrows and Kesler could score once in a while. If they were winning, people wouldn't be as worried about Kassian's development, As long as the team sucks like they are right now, everyone gets over scrutinized, fairly or not...

I would move him down to Utica to play top line minutes. Bring up an archibald or greenier.

Once Schroeder gets back into action I would put him down in the farm to get his game back and have a line of:

Jensen Schroeder Kassian

In the minors playing huge minutes, in all situations. Being relied on to lead the team.

He'll be claimed on waivers so that doesn't really help US.

Its getting there... I am not ready to give up on him but i would of expected a greater evolution and so far were not seeing it. I still would like to see him play with the Sedins for an extended period... Next year really does need to be a break out season tho.

And I still think people wouldn't be as hard on him if people like Burrows and Kesler could score once in a while. If they were winning, people wouldn't be as worried about Kassian's development, As long as the team sucks like they are right now, everyone gets over scrutinized, fairly or not...

When we struggle people look into the past to find excuses but what they should be looking into is our future. Next season will probably have a bunch of rookies looking make the pros and moves will have to be made to make room for those who do. Given how well some of our new accusations(ie. Santo, Richardson and Stanton) are playing, some of our core players(ie. Edler, Booth, Burrows, Hansen) could be moved if they don't start playing better.

Exactly. Maybe the early start time means more people are drunk or having temper tantrums because we lost.

I mentioned in another thread that in 2 years it would be nice to see Shinkaruk and Horvat on a line with Kass riding shotgun to protect the rooks. A guy can dream...

Let us compare the following 4 players and their first 3 or 4 full years in the league to Kassian. 4 Players billed as offensive players with skill to spare.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55145

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=67780

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=34004

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=34007

Now let us compare these offensive weapons to Kassian, a prototypical power forward who usually needs time to develop

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106835

Listening to some people it is like we should have punted the 4 players I linked to the curb in their second full season for being so unproductive and having such terrible +/- stats right?

Come on seriously he's barely 22 and the ONLY PWF prospect we have. Calm down already.....

He's had some bad games for sure

Overall though, I think he's looked pretty good this season. You gotta remember, he's playing on the third line with no PP time

This isn't about scoring. It's his complete lack of compete, his unwillingness to go to the dirty areas, his piss poor body checks, his terrible defensive awareness and his ridiculous God status here on CDC. You'd think this kid craps candy canes the way people talk about him. I've never seen such a lazy, weak player labelled "elite powerforward" so quickly.

depends on what expectations your going on.... or awesome GM looked straight into the camera the day we traded for him and said he was ready to step into our line up and contribute right away from that day forward.... (well hes been a huge disappointment if we go off of that)

Does anybody else think he has been miscast as a big mean powerforward? He seems more like a Joe Thornton to me, but has been thrown into roles where he has to goon it up and crash and bang.

I think he's been miscast as any player we see in the NHL today. He's not. He's got some power forward in him, some playmaker, some pure scorer. He has an odd collection of talents that he's having difficulty putting together. He'll get it together. The only disappointment is Go Go Canucks Go and his umpteen dumb threads.

Watching a lot of leafs games last couple years. JVR is such a boss, same size as Kass, but a much better skater and stronger on the puck. He can make plays off the rush, and parks his butt infront of the goalie getting tips and rebounds. That's the kind of player that should have been targeted, damn he would look good here. Can only hope Kass turns it up, but not looking very promising.

Archived