The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

He's done some stupid things, and at times plays with his head in the clouds, but the raw talent is there. He plays like he's a boy still but showing signs of becoming a man in a mans sport; especially as a power forward/ fighter. When he matures(everyone does it at diff pts of their lives) he'll become a good player. It doesn't help that as a whole we are less than stellar as a team when it comes to mental/emotional side of things; when things get down in games, we tend to fall apart and take bad penalties and start chasing the game. Giving up one goal on a turnover or bad bounce tends to lead to bad stretches that lead to the other team scoring in bunches. Kassian is an emotional and immature while on the ice guy, so our leaders, eg edler, bieksa, Kesler and sometimes even the sedins, need to grow up and start showing these guys the right way to handle situations etc

Semantics answer: No, it isn't too early to be disappointed in Kassian. It is too early to call him a bust though. As many have already mentioned here, at only 22 years old there is lots of room for growth. He is clearly immature as a player, and does not get what it takes to be in the league full time and produce results.

I'd be pissed if the organization gives up on him and waives him, but at some point (like in 2 years if the same questions keep arising) you do cut him loose.

He should train with the Sedins a few weeks this coming off season, in and around his own regimen. If he gets just a little determination in his game he can show some worth.

I was Kassians biggest supporter...but I must admit I am getting tired of the same old same old..I see very little improvement at all,,,he doesnt get alot of ice and no PP time which doesnt help but when he is out there he constantly shoots himself in the foot..ill timed penalties,, poor on the back check, bad passes resulting in goals...he has to cut down these stupid mistakes and get on board the Canuck train,,I actually think sending him down to Utica wouldnt be a bad idea, bring up Archie and see how that goes...a wake up call is needed and benching doesnt seem to work on him.

I would move him down to Utica to play top line minutes. Bring up an archibald or greenier.

Once Schroeder gets back into action I would put him down in the farm to get his game back and have a line of:

Jensen Schroeder Kassian

In the minors playing huge minutes, in all situations. Being relied on to lead the team.

He needs to play with offensive player.

Put Lucic with Sestito and Richarson, or Higgins, or Hansen, or schoreder and you won't get much more than Kassian.

He only had 1 true shot to excel, 5 games stint with the Sedins, and he did a good job. Since, never really had a fighting chance.

This guy will never be a defensive specially, to be successful we will have to live with his mistakes, but he should compensate with other aspect of the game, goals, big body, physicality, intimidation

Zach is what he is.Might turn into a full time player that is consistent-might not.

Management disappointed and FAILED their club and fans by not getting a roster player -or two-for Hodgson.

Management did not fill the needs of the team when the trade was made and still has FAILED over two years later.

You can't improve your club giving away your most promising assets.

For me the Kassian for Hodgson trade will always go down as a horrible trade for the Canucks, even if Kassian somehow becomes a good player.

The Canucks made this deal when they were taking a run at the Stanley Cup. They were leading the league in points had a serious chance of going all the way again? So what do they do? They traded one of their most consistent forwards that season for an unknown commodity. A guy who was, at the time, playing in the AHL. How does that help the Canucks' cause? It doesn't. Not one bit. It was a boneheaded move.

I don't care if Hodgson wanted out. Gillis should have A) gotten someone back for him who could have an immediate impact, or B ) waited until the offseason to pull the trigger on a deal like this.

Even if Hodgson was asking for a trade I'm sure he could have been talked into staying for the rest of the year, especially since the Canucks were a top contender.

Anyways, to answer the original question: no, it's not too early to call Kassian a disappointment. I think by this time we were all hoping he'd at least a legit 2nd/3rd line winger. Is he a total bust yet? No, there's still time for him to break out. But like I said above, even if he does that doesn't make this a good trade.

Zach is what he is.Might turn into a full time player that is consistent-might not.

Management disappointed and FAILED their club and fans by not getting a roster player -or two-for Hodgson.

Management did not fill the needs of the team when the trade was made and still has FAILED over two years later.

You can't improve your club giving away your most promising assets.

yup.

take off the rose coloured glasses peeoples:

1. hodgson move was just terrible. for a team trying to win and still IN the window

2. schneids was given away the same way: for a team trying to WIN it was absolutely ridiculous.

MG still has a job just goes to show how inept the team ownership is. And I was a supporter of MG at the beginning - but rose coloured glasses off - the sooner the management team gets wiped out the sooner we can rebuild a contender, cause the current manager is not capable.

For me the Kassian for Hodgson trade will always go down as a horrible trade for the Canucks, even if Kassian somehow becomes a good player.

The Canucks made this deal when they were taking a run at the Stanley Cup. They were leading the league in points had a serious chance of going all the way again? So what do they do? They traded one of their most consistent forwards that season for an unknown commodity. A guy who was, at the time, playing in the AHL. How does that help the Canucks' cause? It doesn't. Not one bit. It was a boneheaded move.

I don't care if Hodgson wanted out. Gillis should have A) gotten someone back for him who could have an immediate impact, or B ) waited until the offseason to pull the trigger on a deal like this.

Even if Hodgson was asking for a trade I'm sure he could have been talked into staying for the rest of the year, especially since the Canucks were a top contender.

Anyways, to answer the original question: no, it's not too early to call Kassian a disappointment. I think by this time we were all hoping he'd at least a legit 2nd/3rd line winger. Is he a total bust yet? No, there's still time for him to break out. But like I said above, even if he does that doesn't make this a good trade.

Good view on it. This is obviously where the unrealistic expectations of fans come in to play regarding Kassian and his play here. Gillis said he was someone on their radar, well I wonder if he could have been had for less than what was paid at the time. I could care less about Hodson, but I agree the return should have been greater, and it could have waited until the offseason.

Yeah I will agree with you there. It wasn't the smartest thing to trade for a project type player when we were contenders. But at the same time we needed to get bigger. I don't think COHO could be talked to, if we had Torts maybe but not with AV. I think we can all agree on one thing and that is that GMMG is not the worst GM out there but he's far from the best.

Kassian's main problem is that he has to 'think' about every move on the ice. Not much of it comes instinctively. He needs time to process the play, and by the time he does and acts on it, the moment is over. Low hockey IQ.

Will/could he get better? I don't know except to say I'm waiting to see more. But I will admit that as each day passes, I think more that Darcy Regier shook Gillis down that day.

Archived