The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nicely put. Pretty much sums it up right there. But that 4.5M is a bit too much for him, even Snow, MacT and & Holmgren acknowledge that.

Just watch the salaries this summer... it is going to be stupid because of all the new dollars available plus the knowledge that the cap will go up even more once the new TV deal starts counting,

A 50 point player would definitely command those bucks in that world,

Because of two reasons:

#1. It is a crappy poll because there needs to be another couple of choices... like "Depends on the price" and "We should wait longer than 20 games to decide"

#2. the poll was created a couple of weeks ago before the Higgins/Kesler/Santorelli line really caught fire.

A lot of responses have been of the variety of us needing a bigger sample size to know how to value him. There is some risk either way. If he keeps us this pace all season, then he is going to cost upwards of $3 million per year... or if you sign him now for more reasonable dollars, then he could go all Mason Raymond on us and we are stuck with an incredibly inconsistent scoring forward who we have committed too much money and term to.

I would say as of today, a good plan would be to sign him to a 2-3 year at between $1.5 and $2.25 million... you have managed the downside and upside risks at that value. He gets some security playing for his hometown team and is on a winning team in a good position.

Remember, 3 months ago this guy's NHL career was pretty much over... no one wanted him and we signed him to a two-way minimum wage contract. He was waived twice last year with no takers. If we re-sign him early, that will still loom pretty large in his mind and he could leave dollars on the table in return for a multi-year contract.

If he wants to cash in and he scores 50 points this season, considering the rapidly rising salary cap and the need for many teams to spend like drunken sailors just to reach the cap floor... I would expect him to get a $4.5 or higher contract offer from someone.

Agreed. I voted no because there is no other option. The guy is gold but we just have not seen enough. Does Gills rush out and sign the guy for 4 mil for 5 years ? No.

Lets see how he does over a full season. I am sure we will sign him it is just going to be about rate and term.

• 2 months later...

What do you all think at this point considering his injury?

Same as I thought before if not more so as he'll be even cheaper coming off injury/surgery. We can probably sign him for say two years at $1.2m-$1.5m each and have a good depth player that can play C/W and on pretty much any line in a pinch.

I voted no.

I think his start was a fluke and he was starting to slow down before his injury.

If you look at his previous stints, he is a streaky player. There was a stretch with florida when he was really playing well before disappearing.

With the injury, and the removal of of threat to his hockey career (which is a HUGE motivator) I don't see him returning as the same player..

and knowing Gillis, im actually terrified he might give him a 3 year/ 6-7 million dollar NTC type contract.

all things considered, I don't want him back for anything more then 1 year/1m - 1.5 m

• 3 months later...

Here is the article. Just speculation on things most people have already discussed on the forums here. Still nothing new based on his injury and healing yet

The bigger, rougher version of the Canucks that Jim Benning envisions isnt all bad for Mike Santorellis future in Vancouver.

Sure, hes undersized, and if youre making a blueprint to get through the juggernauts of the Pacific Division, its not going to start with re-signing the pending unrestricted free agent.

And when you hear Benning gush over the idea of infusing his bottom six with size, grit and physicality, to take the heat of his top six, well, you wonder how much love he has in his heart for a tenacious, blade-wearing water bug.

But if the Canucks are going to get back to their uptempo roots, they could make use of Santorellis wheels, and they know it. This remains especially true if they trade Ryan Kesler or buy out David Booth. Or both.

Re-signing Santorelli, the Vancouver native who reanimated his career in 49 games, has been one of the Canucks priorities this off-season.

By now, Santorellis story is well worn. Signed to a two-way, show-me contract, he was one of the few positive Canucks stories. On a team of underachievers, he excelled.

He created a role seemingly out of sawdust, starting his season an afterthought and ending it indispensable.

His Jan. 16 shoulder injury, the one that ended his year with surgery, was one of the grandest nails in the 2013-14 Canucks coffin.

Now what?

Well, now Santorelli would like a little comfort and security in the form of a multi-year contract, say in the $1.5-$2 million range after proving again that, yes, he is an NHL player.

It would be in line with the way he played the first 34 games, during which he had 22 points, was a team leader in even strength points, and had possession numbers, including a 53.5 per cent Corsi rating, which were rather remarkable.

His numbers backed up what you saw on the ice, which was a player who was hard to knock off pucks and one who didnt mind trying power moves to get to the net.

But, and he wasnt alone in this under John Tortorella, Santorelli hit a wall in December. His final 15 games were troubling. He was getting wrecked regularly in his matchups while his Corsi rating dipped to a bottom-feeding 44 per cent in that stretch.

That tailing off is one of the red flags the Canucks now have to deal with.

It would be wonderful and easy if the Canucks knew theyd get the Santorelli they saw in the first three months. But there is a reason he was forced to sign a two-way contract in the summer. Its because he just a few months removed from being waived by the Florida Panthers.

Santorelli was picked up by the Winnipeg Jets in April 2013, but the Jets werent keen on re-signing the centre after seeing him up close for 10 games.

So by the time Santorelli agreed to that deal with the Canucks, he was on his third team in four months.

Its going to take more than 34 solid games to wipe away the stench of getting passed over by the Panthers and the Jets.

So where does this leave the Canucks?

It leaves them ready and willing to bet on Santorelli again, but its difficult to see them willing to gamble on a deal thats longer than one year.

Maybe that changes if Kesler is traded. Its not like the organization is loaded with centres who could take his place. Come to think of it, there are none.

Such a scenario could help Santorellis leverage, though you cant view him as a Kesler replacement either.

I think the Canucks would like to get Santorelli on a one-year deal closer to $1 million.

Clearly, he was motivated last season to fight not only for a roster spot but for a longer term contract.

It worked so well last year until it was cut short by that shoulder injury.

On a one or two year deal at under $1.5 mil I think it's a no brainier. He's in great shape, works hard, has skill, wins FO, plays two way and wants to be a Canuck. To me that sounds like what TLJB want.

If Kes is moved for futures without an NHL ready forward in the deal then Santo is a solid stop gap for depth. He may not he a 2nd line Center ATM but he could help anchor a workmanlike line and move all around the lineup. I think he'll also be motivated.

I don't see the downside to re-signing him if we have the cap space. If he makes another 3rd liner expendable to be part of a trade, more's the better.

Archived