The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's unfair, Santorelli has not ever been to the playoffs and barely any of our forwards have shown they can perform in the playoffs the past two years. That and there's a possibility we don't make it.

I edited my post and that's exactly my point. We need a depth player who can chip in period. People are so much "secondary scoring, secondary scoring" and Santa seems to be supplying it, albeit sporadic at times but really we need someone who shows up come playoffs time. The fact that he's never been means hes that much more motivated to be there and show he belongs

If anyone has deserved to get resigned is Santo. Dude came in with the best attitude, came in the best shape to training camp, and plays his heart out every night. We signed him to be a 3-4c plug and he has proven to be one of our most valuable forwards this season. YES, barring something crazy, he deserves a resigning.

It's not only about salary, it's about the roster spot.

He's not a top 6 forward on a contending team, we need to upgrade there.

So is he our third line center? Possibly, although I would put money on Gaunce or Horvat taking that spot. And we already have Higgins, Hansen, and Kassian as third liners. So that bumps him to the fourth line. Where I would argue we need to get bigger and tougher, not smaller and more skilled.

I just don't see him being a regular next season unless it's as a cheap depth forward.

No. He's decent, but redundant. The only other thing he brings to the table other than what Higgins and Hansen bring is chemistry with Booth, who is gone this offseason. Horvat WILL take his spot next year and I won't miss him one bit. He was a nice stopgap for a growth year, but a stopgap nevertheless.

Trade Hansen unless he manages to outplay Santo which seems unlikely and buyout booth. Guance will probably need a bit of seasoning in the minors. Santo isn't like Raymond which is small and skilled, he forechecks hard and battles along the boards. He plays strong for a guy his size, similar to Higgins. Santo can also play any FWD position like Torts has pointed out a bunch of times.

Santorelli deserves a roster spot more than a lot of our forwards.

If anyone has deserved to get resigned is Santo. Dude came in with the best attitude, came in the best shape to training camp, and plays his heart out every night. We signed him to be a 3-4c plug and he has proven to be one of our most valuable forwards this season. YES, barring something crazy, he deserves a resigning.

Exactly, depends on the $. He's kinda like Higgins and Hansen in that he's 3 or 4 5ths of a Swiss Army Knife (to borrow from Burkies expression).

EDIT: not that he gets paid near what those 2 do though.

^Agree with those who suggest 1.5 mill for 2 or 3 yrs. But then we'll need more top-nine muscle. Between Burrows, Higgins, & Jannik, 1 or 2 should be dealt for larger younger players.

Youth, size, grit & speed should be an emphasis in the next few trades. We've drafted some skill(to add to the twins), now surround it with the right pieces.

Probably time to part with some of the core. Santorelli is a versatile, well-conditioned & enthusiastic FREE addition. He'll need more size with him, on his line. Since he's younger, he could take the place of a core-guy.

I'd like to transition to a younger team. If we're no longer world-beaters, some guys may waive NTC's. Would like to recycle Luongo, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen(maybe), & Edler into youth. Santorelli may serve as a bridge to the next wave of centres.

explain where he fits in our line up. Sedin Sedin Kesler. Booth Horvat Burrows. Higgins Gaunce Hansen. Archibald Richardson Kassian

Gaunce AHL, Hansen traded and Booth bought out.

Explain how Horvat should be placed into the 2nd line C, Gaunce 3rd line C, Booth not bought out and how Hansen, Higgins, Kassian, Richardson, Kesler and Burrows have outplayed Santorelli?

The 4 ppl that voted no are dumb as a brick...

MG will re-sign him within the next couple months.

More like the people who said yes have a false sense of a reality. It would be a heart warming thing to fill our roster with Santorelli's and Higgins' but that doesn't cut it at this level. He isn't good enough to be in our top six and there are better options out there for 3C, even within our organization Gaunce and/or Horvat could make a bigger impact.

If we can sign him for 1-1.5 mill, I wouldn't mind since he is capable of playing any forward position. But we should get rid booth and either one of Higgins or Hansen. That way we can save some cap space and possibly use that on a top 6 forward.

But I agree that we need to allow some of our prospects to make the team. This team is in need of a youth injection

Archived