The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gaunce AHL, Hansen traded and Booth bought out.

Explain how Horvat should be placed into the 2nd line C, Gaunce 3rd line C, Booth not bought out and how Hansen, Higgins, Kassian, Richardson, Kesler and Burrows have outplayed Santorelli?

Those 6 players only wish they had been playing as good as Santorelli.Take out Higgins and Richardson.....Kesler and co should be packaged and moved for what they're contributing.We wouldn't miss them.

You can't make a decision on that unless you consider dollars.

If he wants a bit of security (he was a half step from being out of the league and playing in Europe before he joined us)... and signs for 2 years at $650-850k per year... then fly at er and sign him. At that price if he is just useful as an Ebbett type of 13th forward going forward it is fine.

If he gets Anson Carter disease, then cut him loose as there are always fringe guys to sign in the offseason or give a rookie more minutes.

If he wants a bit of security (he was a half step from being out of the league and playing in Europe before he joined us)... and signs for 2 years at $650-850k per year... then fly at er and sign him. At that price if he is just useful as an Ebbett type of 13th forward going forward it is fine.

If he gets Anson Carter disease, then cut him loose as there are always fringe guys to sign in the offseason or give a rookie more minutes.

13th forward? ARE YOU ???? SERIOUS

:picard:

Worst case, Santorelli is a great third linee and in the case of injuries or depending on how others perform, he can be an adequate second line player.

He won't cost more than 2mil, probably around 1.5 for 2 years. With cap set to rise, that's almost nothing. Besides, let's not make the same mistake we made with Torres. All he asked for was 2 year deal at 1.75 (if I'm not mistaken) and Gillis only wanted to give 1 year deal. I really think a guy like Torres would have been a difference maker in the series against a physical team like LA. Same thing with Salo. Salo should have been given 2 year contract and he was willing to sign for just 2 million dollars. If we had kept Salo and if he was healthy our team would have had few more wins and in a playoff position.

Aside from the points, he's been shockingly good in the faceoff circle - 54.8% is simply outstanding.

He is a great energy player who works hard every shift.

He's a very crafty player who does a lot of things well and plays a smart game that meshes well with whatever linemates he's been given.

Another Swiss Army knife.

He's a keeper.

I'd offer him a couple years around Richardson money, and fairly quickly.

I think it is time we parted ways with some of our core players this off-season.

There is high chance that makes the team worse than it is.

This team is still good and has a strong core. They just don't execute to their potential. And we keep seeing flashes of it. "Once you rebuild you risk never getting out like Edmonton, Florida, New York(Isles). And in our very tough conference that's exactly what will happen. We will trade away our core players thinking we are becoming a better team then realize when all of our losses are 5 goal deficits compared to the one we have mostly right now that we shouldn't have done that.

But only two teams have a lower record than us this month so I can see why some people are getting impatient.

Yes but only for the right price anything over 2m is too much for him with the deep free agent class he is not going to be a top six player on a legit team so the only place is in the bottom six but with Horvat coming up as well as Gaunce the only spot for him is the fourth line and he is too small for that role

There is no way he gets re-signed. Booth and Schroeder have to crap the bed big time, Tanev and Kassian have to do nothing to warrant significant raises. Even then Santorelli has to take far less than he is worth, and management has to decide he can contribute more per dollar than our up and coming rookies.

If he signs for lses than 1.5M, for sure yes.

Okay, look at our top 6 at this point:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Kassian

Booth Santorelli Weise

Richardson Welsh Hansen

Everybody talks about how the rookies need to take the roster spot but look: If Kassian does not show flashes of promise this season he really doesn't deserve to take a roster spot from someone who wants it more. Kassian's spot could be empty next season, or at least he could be playing 4th line.

Weise playing well but I would take Santo over Weise any day. Weise is MUCH easier to expend than Santorelli because there are enough players similar to Weise, but not enough similar to Santorelli (at least ones who perform consistently). Richardson probably will be gone too but it would be nice for him to stay; he's quietly contributing when the team needs someone to step up.

Who will make the team next year? Gaunce? Horvat? Give me a break. Horvat may have a chance, but I would rather have him play another year playing top minutes in every situation with Schroeder and Jensen. I firmly think they need to play a lot together so they will naturally have chemistry in the NHL and rely on each other more.

The number of people hating on Santorelli is TOO DAMN HIGH.

Archived