The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How so? I am laughing at someone who seems to think Bieksa and cheap contract should be in the same sentence. I think that's more then warranted.

I am well aware Rypien and Bieksa were very good friends....doesn't mean I have to think highly of Bieksa myself.

Don't be so up tight.

What's he worth then?

He's been a 40+ pt defenseman three times.

He's a +10 this year and has been +60 over the past three seasons.

He has 59 hits and 58 blocked shots this year.

He's right next to Hamhuis with the best underlying numbers on the blueline partnered with an (albeit very solid) rookie.

He is easily the toughest presence on the Canucks blueline and the first guy to answer.

There are a whole lot of lesser defensemen making more.

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of signing him. If we do re-sign him, I'd say $1.8 for one year or $1.5 per for 2 years assuming he keeps this production up. Would be great if we can keep him to be in our bottom 6 and fill in for injures. Also, to get a legitimate top 6 forward through FA or trade.

Pros

- Can play anywhere in top 9, adds depth

- Two-way game, works hard, adds points, fits in well

- Local guy, can probably get a discounted price if re-signed

Cons

- Have enough 3rd line type forwards (Higgins, Hansen)

- Not ideal for top6 on contending team or 3rd line centre

- Cap space better used to get top6 forward

- Takes up roster spot, better served for Horvat etc

What's he worth then?

He's been a 40+ pt defenseman three times.

He's a +10 this year and has been +60 over the past three seasons.

He has 59 hits and 58 blocked shots this year.

He's right next to Hamhuis with the best underlying numbers on the blueline partnered with an (albeit very solid) rookie.

He is easily the toughest presence on the Canucks blueline and the first guy to answer.

There are a whole lot of lesser defensemen making more.

I won't argue with you there....no question.

He is still overpaid.

For him to flourish...ideally...he should be at best a #5 guy.

I don't care if he gets 50 points, his defensive play is not worth it. Especially his routinely horrible reads, pinches and casual puck handling. I wonder how pissed the forwards get covering for him at the point basically every shift.

Love his grit, fighting ability (although he REALLY picks his spots) and heart....but that's about it.

Personally, I'm surprised he ever became a D-man. His style of play suits a 2nd/3rd line PF.

He is still overpaid.

I don't care if he gets 50 points, his defensive play is not worth it. Especially his routinely horrible reads, pinches and casual puck handling. I wonder how pissed the forwards get covering for him at the point basically every shift.

Love his grit, fighting ability (although he REALLY picks his spots) and heart....but that's about it.

Personally, I'm surprised he ever became a D-man. His style of play suits a 2nd/3rd line PF.

Had Bieksa been a UFA last summer he likely would have had offers in the $6m region. He's better in his own end than he's given credit for and I'd say the best on the team at reading pinches. Btw, when a d-man pinches a forward is supposed to cover the point. Which is better than the opposing player simply clearing the puck unopposed.

He is a good solid player (my favorite rite now) but he has past conditioning issues

I think a bonus laden contract is best in this situation due to his last contract and what R.F. said on 1040

It will keep the player focused in the off season IMO

2-4 years at 1 million dollar base

With a 1 million dollar bonus if he averages over .5 PPG

And a 2 million dollar bonus if he averages over .7 PPG

Or something along those lines

I think we will start to see (or should start to see) a lot of contracts like how Iggy was signed in BOSTON

Santorelli is a 25 year old veteran. Only entry level contracts and players signing over the age of 35 can have incentives in their contracts.

Had Bieksa been a UFA last summer he likely would have had offers in the $6m region. He's better in his own end than he's given credit for and I'd say the best on the team at reading pinches. Btw, when a d-man pinches a forward is supposed to cover the point. Which is better than the opposing player simply clearing the puck unopposed.

Yes.....I know that. Did you read what I said? I said forwards must be pissed because he pinches EVERY shift so they HAVE to cover for him, basically playing his position for the entire shift.

When you are a forward, especially a winger on the PP, you'd like to be below the hash marks trying to make plays.

He is still overpaid.

Defensive play like Letang? Bieksa is a good shutdown d for us and he is really helping Stanton to develop and become a player for the future...He is worth that contract any day on almost every team

Santo is my favorite story of the year and I love how he has started the season and think he will be here for years to come

Santorelli is a 25 year old veteran. Only entry level contracts and players signing over the age of 35 can have incentives in their contracts.

I had no idea that was in the CBA (new to me) Thanks

But what a stupid clause that can make a 22 yr old to 35 yr old be unproductive till each contract year

How stupid

Then I say 2 year deals at about 1.5 - 2 million a season (it increases each new contract) to start 2014 - 2016

I think his past issues are injury related than conditioning. Could be wrong, but being in the condition he is right now usually comes from long term commitment.

Ray F. was talking about Kassian on 1040 and brought up Santo and said that if we think he has always been this in shape then we do not know who he was before and that it takes usually 3-5 years for a young player to figure things out (he even said go back to his junior pictures and that Santo was a bit of a DOE BOY)

And that he thinks Santo has just finally figured out how to play and stay in the NHL

And it started this summer with conditioning and skating in the off season (which he had never concentrated on in the past)

So hearing this and seeing players in the past that are CONDITIONING SENSITIVE (Buff D.D. E Kane ect) we should keep Santo playing the same as he has been (INCREDIBLE) with 2 year contracts until a bonus laden contract is allowed

I'd be open to trading him at the deadline if some other GM got a bit excited.

With Sedin, Kesler and Horvat as our top 3 centres next year, Santorelli can't be looking for much if he wants to get resigned.

Thing is Santo can play center and the wing...there is no guarantee Horvat will make the lineup next year...Be a mistake to let him walk since he can play any role needed well

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

I don't really like saying it because he seems like such a nice guy and it's an awesome story, but I kind of agree with not re-signing him unless it's relatively inexpensive and I would prefer a two way deal. (I know it isn't realistic) He has been an excellent signing, a huge bonus from what was expected and it's a great story. But he isn't a top six forward on a serious playoff contendng team unless he is surrounded with some size which we don't have. I don't like him in the mix for the bottom six come next year with our prospects and the legit need for a solid third line center that can eat up minutes and play a strong defensive game (Horvat). Maybe we trade him to a team that will give him a legit longer term deal now that he has proven himself. This way he gets an opportunity and we get rewarded for giving him an opportunity. If not I think we try and retain him but I wouldn't spend alot.

I don't really like saying it because he seems like such a nice guy and it's an awesome story, but I kind of agree with not re-signing him unless it's relatively inexpensive and I would prefer a two way deal. (I know it isn't realistic) He has been an excellent signing, a huge bonus from what was expected and it's a great story. But he isn't a top six forward on a serious playoff contendng team unless he is surrounded with some size which we don't have. I don't like him in the mix for the bottom six come next year with our prospects and the legit need for a solid third line center that can eat up minutes and play a strong defensive game (Horvat). Maybe we trade him to a team that will give him a legit longer term deal now that he has proven himself. This way he gerts an opportunity and we get rewarded for helping find a opportunity. If not I think we try an retain hm but I wouldn't spend alot.

Trade Hansen then re-sign Santo.

There is no doubt that Santa has far outplayed what has been expected from him. However, don't forget that:

1) He also played one good year for Florida, then dropped off. He may do so for us.

2) This season isn't nearly finished yet. Let's see if he can maintain his great play with a larger sample size.

2) We really won't need him once players like Horvat can fill a top-line role.

If he continues playing like this I would suggest he is signed for 1 more year. 2 might be pushing it, but would be an option. It all depends on how much he wants. He obviously deserves a raise, but would a salary of 1M be enough? If so, I say resign him for sure. 1.5? Sure - for 1 more year only. Once we start talking 2m+, I start getting very wary...

Archived