The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whine that rhymes with Share It

Slegr

Across the league, large segments of fans have a hate-on for the Vancouver Canucks and its fan base. We’re loathed. Abhorred. Despised. People think Canucks fans whine and complain too much. Meanwhile, too many Canucks fans think there are giant conspiracies where Bettman and his cronies are against this organization.

So why is this? Do other teams’ fans have it right? Are we a bunch of complainers? Is there an actual league-wide conspiracy to try to ruin the Canucks? Or is it something far simpler? Perhaps a case where the medium is the message.

Enter John Garrett. Cheech. Lotto. The 62-year-old who has been colour commentator for the Canucks on Sportsnet Pacific for over a decade, and NHL commentator for nearly three decades. Today, with NHL Centre Ice, John Garrett’s voice is heard throughout North America. As much as I enjoy listening to his matter-of-fact biased commentating, his one-sided analysis has become so hypnotically persuading that he is regularly clouding the minds of Canucks fans, and shadowing the judgement of seemingly objective, nasal- notifying John Shorthouse. The other analysts on Sportsnet deride Garret to the point where it polarizes him from other analysts.

I get that colour commentators are expected to add some colour into their commentating. But when I think back to our other most influential colourman, Tom Larscheid, yes, he was biased towards the Canucks. But he never took it to the point where he was writing columns about the one-sidedness of penalties towards Vancouver compared to other teams. He never brought up conspiracy theories on regional television. He kept his bias to a safe level, and when the team wasn’t competing as it should, he spoke his mind about it.

I’m not necessarily placing the blame of Canucks’ fans reputations of being whiny sore losers on one person, but John Garrett is in a position of great influence, and he needs to put himself in check from time-to-time, and recognize that his regionally televised voice is often conceded as the voice of the team and its fans.

The only problem is idiot fans who take the bait and end up in an argument with fans from our rivals that they're never going to win.

If you see a Flames, Oilers and Hawks fan in the same thread, be it HF, Youtube or wherever, you aren't going to persuade them to think the world of the Canucks. Once the attention seekers stop taking the bait, then I think we can turn our reputation around.

Every team has their John Garrett, he's no different than most.

But when I think back to our other most influential colourman, Tom Larscheid, yes, he was biased towards the Canucks. But he never took it to the point where he was writing columns about the one-sidedness of penalties towards Vancouver compared to other teams. He never brought up conspiracy theories on regional television. He kept his bias to a safe level, and when the team wasn’t competing as it should, he spoke his mind about it.

i, like the dandy above me, strongly disliked Larscheid. and i'm pretty sure this guy would have been writing blogs and articles all over the internet if it was around during his prime. he was a raging homer and editorialized his views all over the air, be it on canucks broadcasts or the radio

League wide conspiracy against the canucks? No. Lead wide incompetence of officiating? Yes

Deserving of the whiny canuck fan stereotype? Have you read CDC.... like ever?

you said it exactly right ... if people don't think the refs have it out for us, then they are idiots ..

and canuck fans are knowledgeable enough about this sport , not to be swayed by a commentator ...

zebras hate the whales .. Im used to it , why aren't others ??

I’m not necessarily placing the blame of Canucks’ fans reputations of being whiny sore losers on one person, but John Garrett is in a position of great influence, and he needs to put himself in check from time-to-time, and recognize that his regionally televised voice is often conceded as the voice of the team and its fans.

So what exactly did he say that you take issue with? Because so far you've accused Garret of lacking objective criticism without providing what the point at issue is.

And to be fair to Garret, he does offer criticism of the team. Anyone who watches the games and actually listens knows that when players make mistakes, he points them out. Does he dwell on the mistakes like some of CDC does? Nope. Maybe thats what you have a problem with..........

John Garrett is trash.

Free me from this retarded commentator.

Also can we have a new camera guy? I want to see the whole ice and part of the crowd like we saw when we watched the Florida feed. It looks fifty times better.

Do you know that the main camera feed (the one on 95% of the time) is the same camera on both broadcasts? He works for the home broadcast (in this case, Sportsnet) and his feed is shared with the visiting broadcast in order to save them money. This happens on EVERY NHL game.

You know you probably shouldn't run your mouth about something you clearly know nothing about.

So, Garett is subject to derision but at the same time is somehow swaying the North American hockey world??

He's a colour commentator. I think he's a pretty good one actually - he sees a lot of details in the game but doesn't take himself very seriously.

So, Garett is subject to derision but at the same time is somehow swaying the North American hockey world??

He's a colour commentator. I think he's a pretty good one actually - he sees a lot of details in the game but doesn't take himself very seriously.

agreed, he's one of those guys you just take what he says with a grain of salt, but can be informative when he wants to be. he;s mostly used as a mouthpiece to put over the sponsors but i honestly have no problems with garrett. i think he's pretty entertaining. i love the random banter he gets in to with shorty if the game is stinking up the joint-- whether we're getting killed, or it's just a real boring chess match

agreed, he's one of those guys you just take what he says with a grain of salt, but can be informative when he wants to be. he;s mostly used as a mouthpiece to put over the sponsors but i honestly have no problems with garrett. i think he's pretty entertaining. i love the random banter he gets in to with shorty if the game is stinking up the joint-- whether we're getting killed, or it's just a real boring chess match

Besides, how else are we to find out what good deals are on at Safeway?

Yes.

He's ours and he's a "keeper".

Archived