The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise already matches his best season

Sixteen W's

He's always had it in him to play like he is now. People underestimate how difficult it is to put together a physical game with creating turnovers, winning battles on the boards, and staying defensively responsible. Calling it a "simple game" is a horrible misnomer, one Weise has had to put up with for years and that Kass is feeling the heat for now.

Anyone think this is Torts doing his magic coaching? It seems like most of the players (more noticeably the bottom 6 players) have improved their play. It seems like our 4th liners tend to make lesser mistakes and are able to clear pucks from our zone with lesser mistakes this year compared to the past. You can see even Sestito has played better than last year.

Is it because Torts give better instructions and coaching to tell the players what to do so that they have an idea and understanding what to do? Hopefully this will continue to build confidence into our depth players and make them harder to play against.

Weise scores a few goals and is resurrected. 4th line wannabee to 3rd line budding star. He actually played some pretty solid hockey last year.

The issue IMO is the ice time the 4th line is getting. 4 -5 minutes a game is not enough for a serious playoff team. I feel sorry for Torts as no matter what Van does they cannot seem to close in on Pacific opponents. I think Sestito has a lot more to offer as well. It made me cringe last night on their 2:1 when they passed rather than taking the shot. To me it is the Sedin disease.

Now a 4th line of Archibald - Richardson - Weise seems like one of the best we could potentially have in years...

Fixed that for ya.

I don't know why Archie isn't in the lineup, he pretty much proved to be more effective than Sestito in a short period of time and isn't a defensive liability. Should have fought someone.

Fixed that for ya.

I don't know why Archie isn't in the lineup, he pretty much proved to be more effective than Sestito in a short period of time and isn't a defensive liability. Should have fought someone.

Tostitos has played really well recently. Solid road-trip from him and he earned a spot in the lineup for the next few games.

Although Weise is on a nice run and deserves some credit for his hard work ethic he isn't a 3rd line player because he just lacks the skill level needed and thats clear watching him closely he usually looks in over his head.

Weise also doesn't have a tough enough mentality to engage in altercations or doesn't have the fighting ability i would like to see in a player of his low skill level.

I realise I'm being a bit hard on Weise here but if the Canucks want to be a top team there's no way in hell a player like Weise should be getting many playing minutes and imo they need Kassian getting more until he gets going.

If Weise can continue to play the body while being able to contribute offensively, I dont see why that wouldnt make one of Hansen/Burrows/Higgins available in a package to upgrade at forward.

I think the Weise style of bottom 6 player is the way to go, over the Hansens and Higgins. We need some more of that willingness to play hard on the forecheck and finsihing checks with purpose, which is also whats making Booth successfull lately. Thats also why I think McGinn would be an upgrade on Hansen.

Archived