The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mason Raymond Undervalued

RavingFan

He is a type of player that is built to play in the East, where the defensive game is more loose (as opposed to the tight-checking of the Western Conference).

Besides, what about the 29 other teams that didn't offer him a PTO, let alone sign him to a contract. Raymond had to sign a PTO with a Leaf's to earn his contract, and it's been working well for both teams.

Sure, he's doing great and I'm happy for him, but he wouldn't have fit on the Canucks. I love what he did here and wish that he didn't get injured, but his career as a Canuck was over and it was better for both parties to have him move on to another team.

30 teams including the leafs undervalued him. No one offered him a contract until the end of training camp speaks volumes of where raymonds game was last year.

So far he looks like a different player looks like he needed a change of scenery to restart his career.

Sometimes when you ask for too much, you end up being forced to take whatever bone is thrown your way. Clearly he felt he could be a top 6 forward again, but all 30 NHL GMs must have only saw a guy with a recently broken back who didn't have his game back together. Santorelli was in a similar situation, former top 6 producer who had lost his touch, so we got him for cheap.

Was it a mistake not to sign him? Yes, a mistake that 30 out of 30 GMs made, and only after that was he willing to take anything, including a PTO.

Mason Raymond has ten goals and nine assists and is plus 5 with the Leafs in 28 games. His skill set would have been very valuable to us this year. How did we come to undervalue him so much?

Impatience after injury.

Macho fan posturing.

Chemistry with Kesler diminished.

Difficulty in general finding a role that fit him well here / tweener.

Appetite for a size and grit in the top 6.

That being said, Santorelli and Richardson haven't exactly left folks missing anyone - and they are both centers and strong in the faceoff circle, so they probably suit the needs of this team better than Raymond despite his predictable improvement.

p.s. this is probably Leafs talk now - and - if anyone needs an underpaid / undervalued player in their cap mix, it's that team.

He is a type of player that is built to play in the East, where the defensive game is more loose (as opposed to the tight-checking of the Western Conference).

Besides, what about the 29 other teams that didn't offer him a PTO, let alone sign him to a contract. Raymond had to sign a PTO with a Leaf's to earn his contract, and it's been working well for both teams.

Sure, he's doing great and I'm happy for him, but he wouldn't have fit on the Canucks. I love what he did here and wish that he didn't get injured, but his career as a Canuck was over and it was better for both parties to have him move on to another team.

Conference bias is mainly all BS. The region you play in doesn't add or subtract from a players abilities.

Mason Raymond vs the West

Games:12

Goals: 5

Assists: 4

Raymond actually has a higher PPG against the West. 9 points in 12 games against the West while he has 10 points in 16 games against the East (5 goals, 5 assists).

EXACTLY.

Why is this so hard to grasp for many CDC'ers?

Archived