The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

I was trying to find is Thornton was ever suspended and I couldn't find any history. It's hard to believe but can anybody find anything on a suspension previously?

If it's his first he might get off easier then if he has a few strikes on his record..

Hopefully I'm wrong..

Yes, you are correct. Shawn Thornton has never been suspended before during his NHL career so far.

Way too much irony here. This was 3 days ago from Thornton.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/27947/bruins-shawn-thornton-on-fighting

Q: DOES THE CODE STILL EXIST? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU TAKE PRIDE IN/ABIDE BY?

Thornton: I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

My initial reactions in watching that are the same as some expressed in this thread. I had immediate flashbacks to the Bertuzzi incident. That was terrible to watch, and one of the worst plays I've ever seen. I REALLY sincerely hope the NHL handles this appropriately. And I am saying all of this without bias that it's a Bruins player.

I was just about to say that. This definitely reminded me of the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. Thornton should definitely get the book thrown at him.

That being said, if anyone saw the hit Orpik laid on Eriksson in the opening minutes of the game, you can understand why Thorton went straight for him. Orpik went in for the big hit (no intention of playing the puck), caught Eriksson with his head down and Eriksson went straight for the locker room without returning. Orpik chose never fight Chara, Lucic or Thorton when they challenged him after that hit and so there was nothing to satisfy the Bruins of what they saw as a a dirty hit to injure one of their star players.

It does make you wonder if Orpik had just accepted the challenge to fight that he wouldn't have become the victim of a dirty cheap shot

Thornton: I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

Oh man that is rich in irony :lol: :lol: :lol:

It get's even better, here are some words from Thornton a few days ago..

It's also a total head-scratcher when you consider Thornton's words on "the code" from just three days ago.From ESPN:

I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

Quote of the year. Can't believe it. Just jaw dropping wow.

Archived