The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

Brutal, should be at least 10 games. Absolute garbage.

Orpik hit was clean as a whistle. Good hard hockey hit. Gotta keep your head up around that blue line.

Neal knee on Marchand should be close to double digits as well.

But for those saying that what Thornton did was worse than the Bertuzzi incident... c'mon guys... at least try to be objective.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Guess is Thornton and Neal will both get suspended. Thornton somewhere between 6 and double digits; Neal's # may hinge on Marchand's status.

Let me guess.. he'll be listed day to day or out indefinitely to get the most out of Neal's suspension...

Surprise surprise... PJ Stock and the boys just defended Thornton during the 2nd intermission of the Leafs/Sens game, saying it was Orpik's fault for not fighting. What a joke.

PJ Stock is a joke. I really look forward to Rogers hiring better people than CBC.

Way too much irony here. This was 3 days ago from Thornton.

http://espn.go.com/b...ton-on-fighting

Q: DOES THE CODE STILL EXIST? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU TAKE PRIDE IN/ABIDE BY?

Thornton: I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

Typical Bruins, spout off some BS about how honourable they are and how they play "the right way" and then go do something cheap and cowardly.

Thornton is an absolute goon on that play. Orpik made a good hit, he does not deserve to be assaulted on the ice. What Neal did is also irrelevant, nothing wrong with sticking up for teammates but Thornton took it way too far. On such a clear cut intent to injure, there is no excuse to not drop the hammer.

20+ games at minimum for a disgusting "play".

the bruins fans are idiots. Remember in the finals in 2011 on the raymond injury when they chanted: "Flopper, Flopper, Flopper"

I never have and never will forgive the crowd for doing that. Complete jerks.

There is no respect amongst players in the league. None. It's a joke. What was all this talk about the players being "united" during the lockout for? Guess they just wanted their paychecks.

this is disgusting. this is not part of hockey (and im a STRONG supporter of fighting/physical play)

this is blatant assault. Thornton should get throw out of the NHL... This is todd bertuzzi level of assault.

100% agree. Wasn't even the guy who hit Ratboy. Even Bert had the justifcation of going after a guy who concussed our captain. This piece of trash needs to be banned for life along with Chara and Marchand.

Disagreed, he's a Bruin and should be judged like the rest of them: pure and disgusting SCUM

Do you even know who Bergeron is? I feel bad for him that he has to play for the most classless, gutless, and disrespectful team in the NHL. And yes he is the only Bruin I have tons of respect for.

@GlobeFluto3m

Loui Eriksson diagnosed with concussion

@HackswithHaggs9m

Shawn Thornton confirmed he's got a hearing scheduled with @NHLPlayerSafety after his attack on Brooks Orpik #BruinsTalk

@HackswithHaggs11m

Shawn Thornton in near tears after game: "I made a mistake. I can't say I'm sorry enough times. That's all I can say right now" #BruinsTalk

Archived