The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

And so you think that at no point in the process of jumping on Orpik and throwing punches while Orpik was pinned on the ice did Orpik's head hit the ice? What do you think knocked him out there champ?

Not once did Orpik's head hit the ice. Not even when Thornton pinned him to the ice and threw those jabs.

For those who are comparing this to the Moore incident, give me a break. Bertuzzi clocked Moore from behind, loss his balance and put his entire weight on his neck, causing him to break it.

If you watch the replay at a different angle, Orpik actually had time to defend himself with his right arm, when Thornton slewfoot'd him and pinned him to the ice.

"@HackswithHaggs: Just saw a replay. Shawn Thornton yanked Orpik to the ice and then punched him twice in the head when he was down. Knocked him out cold"

"@penguins: Brooks Orpik wheeled off the ice on a stretcher. Updates as they become available."

"@JoeYerdonPHT: Match penalty for Thornton - as it should be."

Absolutely garbage.

Will get a video up when it surfaces

EDIT: Here's a vine of the incident : https://t.co/iEA1QNF6IE

25 Games, no less

So Boston has sent another player off the ice on a stretcher after a dirty play. Colour me surprised. Orpik's hit on Erikson was clean but hard. What Thorton did was absolute malicious and deliberate assault. Stay classy Boston: Raymond, Miller, Pacciorety, and now Orpik. This team is an embarassment to pro hockey.

Kerry Fraser's take. In short, he thinks the refs should've dished out more and stiffer penalties to cool the situation down before the ugly incident.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438513

Fraser makes some excellent points. The officials should have spoken with that turd Julien at some point. He bears responsibility as much as any referee.

I put this on Shanahan, he has broken the trust of his office to deal with these matters fairly, he should be fired. The atmosphere of fairness in these types of incidents has been brought into doubt too often, and it's creating a dangerous situation for both the referees and players. Some teams like Boston,are taking advantage of his inconsistency.

Not once did Orpik's head hit the ice. Not even when Thornton pinned him to the ice and threw those jabs.

For those who are comparing this to the Moore incident, give me a break. Bertuzzi clocked Moore from behind, loss his balance and put his entire weight on his neck, causing him to break it.

He did hit his head on the ice..

Do you know if it broke from that? Or when there was a pile up of guys ontop of Moore? If all the Penguins were nearby jumped on Thornton ontop of Orpik the weight could of did the same type of damage to Orpik's neck like the Bertuzzi incident.

Q: DOES THE CODE STILL EXIST? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU TAKE PRIDE IN/ABIDE BY?

Thornton: I take a lot of pride in that. I do. People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I've been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around. If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.

If you watch the replay at a different angle, Orpik actually had time to defend himself with his right arm, when Thornton slewfoot'd him and pinned him to the ice.

Why would Orpik defend himself against Thornton when he is a honorable player and never suckers someone when they're down :rolleyes:

this is disgusting. this is not part of hockey (and im a STRONG supporter of fighting/physical play)

this is blatant assault. Thornton should get throw out of the NHL... This is todd bertuzzi level of assault.

That is some serious Marty McSorley crap right there. Absolute brainfart and has no place in hockey what so ever.

But I'd pretty much take James Neal and slap him with a Bertuzzi-ish x2 ban too for one of the uglies, dirtiest moves you can decide to do. That could have been a career ending, very conclusive kneeing there...

Who in the league would you trust to make that decision?

I know some of you would disagree but Shanahan's DOPS is still the best bet for now.

We'll see what they do with Thornton. If he doesn't get at least 9 games there is something wrong.

Are you serious? You know what REALLY bugged me about Raymond's deal (aside from the idiots chanting...may each and every one of them rot in hell)?... that no one was out there with a stretcher to cart him out. That was ridiculous...can the Bruins not afford to have one available? There was no WAY he should have skated off that ice.

You ALWAYS take the precautionary route with this stuff....anything with head/neck/back. You risk further damage if a guy gets off the ice on his own or people help him up in order to do so. A stretcher is a preventative measure and should be used if there is any doubt.

Deb, of course the Bruins had one available. Having Raymond dragged off the ice on his feet was a major fail of the Canucks medical staff. It's actually inexcusable. Even more inexcusable was that Kesler was one of the players carrying/assisting Raymond off the ice with his torn labrum.

Kick Claude Julien out of league ffs. That's all his doing. Better yet exile him to Antarctica along with rat boy, lucic and Thornton

Neal is a little wimp for not hitting Marchand harder in the head with the knee. He should have stomped his face with the skate instead. Marchand deserves the worst.

Neal is a little wimp for not hitting Marchand harder in the head with the knee. He should have stomped his face with the skate instead. Marchand deserves the worst.

That right there is one of the most childish things I've seen someone say on this board, and I've seem some pretty childish things said.

I agree with a lot of things you say Apollo but......you're starting to sound like a fruit

Kick Claude Julien out of league ffs. That's all his doing. Better yet exile him to Antarctica along with rat boy, lucic and Thornton

This. Lets stop beating around the bush and being polite: Julien needs to be turfed, Thornton needs to go to prison, and Chara, Lucic Boychuk and Ratface all have some brutal Moore like karma coming there way. I don't hope for it, but karma can be rough.

Are you serious? You know what REALLY bugged me about Raymond's deal (aside from the idiots chanting...may each and every one of them rot in hell)?... that no one was out there with a stretcher to cart him out. That was ridiculous...can the Bruins not afford to have one available? There was no WAY he should have skated off that ice.

You ALWAYS take the precautionary route with this stuff....anything with head/neck/back. You risk further damage if a guy gets off the ice on his own or people help him up in order to do so. A stretcher is a preventative measure and should be used if there is any doubt.

Are you suggesting that the Bruins and their arena staff refused the Canucks medical staff the use of a stretcher? Perhaps you are suggesting that the Bruins don't even have a stretcher in their arena. Certainly you seem to be suggesting that the Bruins organization bore sufficient malice towards the Canucks and their players that they would refuse an injured opponent appropriate medical attention which, if there were a grain of truth in it and it was even remotely verifiable would result in massive lawsuits and probably even criminal charges.

The Canucks medical staff blew that. They got really lucky there with the Raymond bungle. they should have been fired, my friends and I watching the game couldn't believe our eyes. It was a shocking display of negligence on the training staffs' behalf. I'll never forget seeing Raymond struggling to step up onto the bench with a broken neck/back.

Are you suggesting that the Bruins and their arena staff refused the Canucks medical staff the use of a stretcher? Perhaps you are suggesting that the Bruins don't even have a stretcher in their arena. Certainly you seem to be suggesting that the Bruins organization bore sufficient malice towards the Canucks and their players that they would refuse an injured opponent appropriate medical attention which, if there were a grain of truth in it and it was even remotely verifiable would result in massive lawsuits and probably even criminal charges.

I honestly don't care what you think.

And I was completely shocked that the entire building chanted "Flopper" and that no stretcher was brought onto the ice. Now, I'm not sure who is responsible for that and, as suggested by others, likely Canucks medical/training staff didn't give the word. But I don't think they bring their own ambulance/stretcher and none was dispatched to the ice. I didn't say "refused", I said none intervened and Raymond was down for awhile. Not sure why that happened but I didn't see anyone waiting in the wings/ready to attend to things. Just an observation, not an accusation. And why shouldn't I hate a team like this?...with fans with zero class and players that make me nauseous?

Archived