The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

With a hit he didn't have to make. Look, he's the same as dustin brown a hit an run player who tries to hurt guys and will never answer the bell. What do you expect is gonna happen. Even Matt Cooke fought Thornton when he had to answer fhe bell.

Whatever bud.

IMO, Moore also deserved to get punched in the face - but that doesn't mean it wasn't assault.

Don't get me wrong. As a fan you kinda want to see some retaliation from your guys, a hard check, a fight, etc....but that was just way too excessive...I mean hitting a guy in the head while he's already out cold? Orpik didn't even see him coming. That was gutless

How is anyone comparing this to the Bertuzzi Moore mixup. Watch it again, Bertuzzis wasnt that bad, dont buy the bs that he drove his head into the ice.

Thorntons is far worse. Every detail of it makes me sick and not want to watch hockey. This criminal mist be dismissed by the league. I'd really like to hear how Julien, Shanahan and Daddy Cambell defend Thornton.

I was trying to find is Thornton was ever suspended and I couldn't find any history. It's hard to believe but can anybody find anything on a suspension previously?

If it's his first he might get off easier then if he has a few strikes on his record..

Hopefully I'm wrong..

I think this is a retaliation.. Maybe that is why he got so aggressive, I can understand going after a guy if he hit your top player but just give him a wack maybe push him or try to fight with him. Not assaulting the guy until he has to be carried off...

This is the most disgusting thing to happen in hockey since the Bertuzzi/Brashear incidents and should definately be compared to them. Could easily end Orpik's life let alone his career, by punching a guys head against the ice.

If this was a fair game, Thornton would never play another NHL game. This is about as serious an incident as they come and life-threatening, he should never be on the ice again. Of course the league doesn't have the power to do that so I expect no less than a 20 game suspension and a huge fine. Hope Orpik gets better.

The Neal-Marchand incident should be completely isolated from this one. Neal should get 10 games, Thornton should be out of hockey for life.

Archived