The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More People Attended Paul Walker's Memorial Than Nelson Mandela's Vancouver Memorial

DonLever

I went by the Nelson Mandela Memorial Friday night outside the Art Gallery in Vancouver and the crowd was very small. Maybe 100-200 people there.

Today on TV, I saw a lot more people attending the Paul Walker Memorial in Vancouver. This article say maybe more than 1000 people attended.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-cars-set-to-roll-for-paul-walker-memorial-1.1579358

What does it say about our priorities in life?

According to organizer West Coast Car Events’ Facebook Page, A Tribute to Paul Walker & Roger Rodas, more than 1300 people in 300 to 400 cars plan to gather at SilverCity Riverport in Richmond and drive together to Spanish Banks.

Walker, 40, died last Saturday when the Porsche Carrera GT he was in driven by friend Rodas smashed into a tree and burst into flames.

Organizers posted on the Facebook page that they are “hosting a cruise in the memory of Paul Walker. Someone who has impacted many of us in the car industry.”

Participants in the cruise are being asked to donate money to the Red Cross to aid in the help of typhoon victims in the Philippines.

wtf is wrong with society

Ask those < 20 if they even know who NM is/was.

My thoughts exactly, HBR (posted at the same time as you too! *high-five*... or in this case mourn together for humanity?)

Pretty sure that, if you ask today's youth about what Mandela did, or to explain (or even pronounce, let's start with that) the concept of "apartheid", most people wouldn't know.

In today's short-attention-span society that's driven by an overdose of information on social media that's meant to catch the eye, mellower characters in the past like Mandela, with all due respect, won't be as known as the hunk on the silver screen who drives nice cars. No one really gives much attention to history anymore, since so many are trapped in the glamour of the present, as presented to them by technology.

Sad reality, I know. If only schools emphasized history classes then more people may develop an interest in historical figures rather than just caring about Hollywood.

don't blame the kids blame the school system especially down south where they quite often deal with local history or US history only i have met plenty of Americans come up here for high school and know squat about World History

Cuz 'murica #1. duh.

Actually, America is #1 in pillaging and raping third world nations and roided up professional athletes, that's about it.

Archived